Retired Daniel Rich #1 (2008-2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah... in the WAFL there are specific rules about elevating colts players and not allowing them to be put back.

The Colts aspect has nothing to do with my point.

Just setting the record straight. There were also 6 other teams that passed on him as well. ;)

Fitness can be worked on over several pre-seasons. Just like I imagine Freo are furiously trying to teach Palmer to kick a ball as we speak.

Nah... in the WAFL there are specific rules about elevating colts players and not allowing them to be put back.

Just setting the record straight. There were also 6 other teams that passed on him as well. ;)

What record is that? The two boys haven't yet played a game of league footy and you're trying to justify your selection of Hill instead of Rich. Your past record of draft selections and trade isn't that straight either so I dont know on what basis you're trying to justify your point.

seen him play a couple times, absolute gun, beautiful raking left boot. he should go alright

And many choices were based on needs ie Carlton and Melbourne needed a forward & Essendon needed a defender. Only Freo and Port drafted a similar player & both may come to be seen as monumental blunders.

General, I was interested to see your pre-draft comments:

As much as I like the thought of Trengove, Yarran or Hartlett being in Navy Blue, I would love to see Rich at Carlton next year.

Rich playing inside would free up Judd and Gibbs to be more damaging players on the outside of the pack.

Double that if Hadley can play 22 games next year.

Drummo

Young Daniel Rich is probably our highest profile recruit, coming across from Western Australia after playing in back-to-back premierships with WAFL club Subiaco as a teenager. He is a really good-sized midfielder and could probably slot straight into the senior team – so keep an eye out for him.

danielrichhk5.jpg

Colin Wiseby's rankings of the 2008 draft:

1. NAITANUI, Nicholas (2 WCE)
2. SWIFT, Tom (20 WCE)
3. WATTS, Jack (1 MEL)
4. HILL, Stephen (3 FRE)
5. YARRAN, Chris (6 CAR)
6. RICH, Daniel (7 BRI)
7. LYNCH, Tom (13 STK)
8. HARTLETT, Hamish (4 POR)
9. HURLEY, Michael (5 ESS)
10. ZIEBELL, Jack (9 KAN)
11. BLIGHT, Jarrad (45 COL)
12. ROBINSON, Mitch (40 CAR)
13. ROUGHEAD, Jordan (31 WBD)
14. VICKERY, Tyrone (8 RIC)
15. BROADBENT, Matthew (38 POR)
16. SUBAN, Nick (24 FRE)
17. MCKERNAN, Shaun (28 ADE)
18. STRAUSS, James (19 MEL)
19. SHUEY, Luke (18 WCE)
20. BROWN, Mitchell (15 GEE)
21. STILL, Michael (55 ESS)
22. REDDEN, Jarrad (54 POR)
23. SMITH, Alistair (62 STK)
24. SIDEBOTTOM, Steele (11 COL)
25. O'KEEFFE, Rhys (65 CAR)
26. TRENGOVE, Jackson (22 POR)
27. SHIELS, Liam (34 HAW)
28. PEARCE, Clancee (R48 FRE)
29. DAWSON, Glenn (66 POR)
30. ROCKLIFF, Tom (P 5 BRI)
32. HANNEBERY, Dan (30 SYD)
33. JETTA, Neville (51 MEL)
35. SCHOENMAKERS, Ryan (16 HAW)
36. WEADON, Bryn (R31 GEE)
37. SMITH, Ashley (36 WCE)
38. HEYNE, Nicholas (48 STK)
40. CAHILL, Paul (74 STK)

2dvkj9u.jpg

Think you'll be repeating that last line of yours all season 2009. I wonder why it happens to your mob all the time. :). Few threads on main board for Hill ahead of Rich, Ballantyne @ 21, Jeesus its hard being a Freo supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Betstar

Rising Star Odds

Jack Watts - $7.50
Steele Sidebottom - $10.00
Jack Ziebell - $10.00
Scott Selwood - $12.00
Nic Naitanui - $13.00
Michael Hurley - $13.00
Daniel Rich - $15.00

Alan Eskander of Eskander's Betstar said "He (Rich) looks good value as he is similar to last year's winner Rhys Palmer in the way he goes about the game".

rich4jb7.jpg

Looks like a few red herrings in there to make other bets seem more attractive. There is little chance that Naitanui or Hurley will win it.

I would have about 5-6 2nd or 3rd year players ahead of a lot of the new draftees.

How often do non-first year players win it though?

I wouldn't have been surprised if Rich had been the favourite, but I think they have got his odds about right. Don't know why he is being compared to Palmer though - they are fairly different players. Rich has more similarities to Joel Selwood.

Watts should be 100/1..

A. How can you expect a young kid to hold down FF in his first year and
bw a standout??
B. How's Melb's cr@p team going to get him enough of the ball?
C. Even if he did fire up,who's decent enough forward to stop him being
double teamed?

If it wasn't for having your money tied up for 9 months to collect,Rich is a sensational bet!

Jared Rivers in 2004 was the last.
Danyle Pearce was rookie listed in 2004 and debuted in 2005 so he wasn't a "first year" player in 2006 in the same sense as Palmer, Deledio were in the years they won it. Before then, Rivers, Sam Mitchell (2003) and Nick Riewoldt (2002), Adam Goodes (1999) and Byron Pickett (1998) were all 2nd year players.

Since 2000, 5 out of 9 Rising Star winners were drafted in the previous year - Palmer, Selwood, Deledio, Koschitske and Hasleby.

Seems like a really nice bloke and all the talk of him being a hard worker is certainly true, he was doing extra clearance work with Daniel Murray and Beau Mc when a lot of the others were resting themselves after a hard running session yesterday.

There are many threads on other boards blaming endurance as the reason they didn't want Rich. It will be funny if Rich starts tearing it up from first few rounds and others picked above him don't have that much of an impact.

Fingers crossed, show them what they've let slip Bam-Bam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back