Rumour Daniel Rioli to join the Suns

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This one came to light a few weeks ago when Rioli was filmed leaving the Gold Coast Airport during Richmond's bye week and it was later confirmed that he met with Hardwick while on the GC. It came up again this week when Herald Sun report Jay Clark reported that the deal could already be coming together with the Bulldogs' first round pick (which is currently in the possession of the Suns) potentially being sent Richmond's way. Seems like this one could be on the cards with the Suns in desperate need of a talented running half back and Gold Coast's zone link to Rioli's hometown of Darwin being one of the carrots that is surely being dangled in front of him. Not sure why the rebuilding Tigers wouldn't consider it either considering they will likely commit to a proper rebuild at the end of this year and will want as many first round picks as they can get before Tassie takes them all.

Three years after this season left on his contract IIRC. Suns might need to pay way overs for Richmond to give up an established player and solid leader.

Three years after this season left on his contract IIRC. Suns might need to pay way overs for Richmond to give up an established player and solid leader.

I'd go for it if I was Richmond. Clearly need to rebuild so hit the draft hard before Tassie come online.

Suggestion on 3AW the other night that would Richmond trade Tom Lynch to Collingwood.

I'd go for it if I was Richmond. Clearly need to rebuild so hit the draft hard before Tassie come online.

Suggestion on 3AW the other night that would Richmond trade Tom Lynch to Collingwood.
Who do all these draft picks learn from? Dusty is going/cooked, Hopper and Taranto are hopeless, Prestia, Grimes, etc are all retiring,…

It’s been shown wholesale clean-outs do more harm than good no matter how many draft picks are brought in.

Gold Coast don’t need more pimply kids, but the Tigers do: Why a Rioli trade could be on​

Richmond need to seriously consider the Gold Coast Suns’ interest in Daniel Rioli.

This is not a reaction to another bad loss given the injuries at Punt Road, but recognition of the depth that needs to be addressed. Rioli could bring in multiple picks in return.

Rioli in the next five years is worth more to Gold Coast than he is to Richmond. That is not a reason for Richmond to trade him, but it is a reason why his trade value might be high. In terms of players who can bring in quality picks, Rioli would be valuable.

The Suns have a plethora of first- and second-round selections this year. After last year’s heavy trading they have two first-round picks and an end of first-round, as well as two second-round picks in this year’s national draft.

A player of Rioli’s age and skill set is more important to them than another precocious, pimply kid in the draft.

Thus, they can afford to pay relative overs in a trade sense than what Rioli would command from another club. If he can potentially generate a decent first-rounder as part of two picks inside 20, the Tigers would have to consider it.

When Richmond took Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper they were hoped to be the players who could keep them in flag contention as they regenerated on the run. It hasn’t worked out. The reasons for that are myriad, but none more so than the fact Tom Lynch has been injured for most of the time they have been there, as has Josh Gibcus.

Yes, the picks the Tigers gave up were in COVID-affected drafts that turned out to be more of a lottery than other drafts, but still losing that volume of early access to the draft comes at a cost.

AFL 2024: The signs the Essendon Bombers are the real deal; Richmond Tigers; Geelong Cats; Jeremy Cameron; Hawthorn Hawks​

amp.theage.com.au
amp.theage.com.au

This video from yesterday certainly sounds like a player that's about to leave. Skip forward to 5:52 in the video below when the journo asks him if he wants to stay at Richmond and he rolls out the typical lines we hear just before someone leaves like 'I'm contracted', 'I'm focusing on the team' and 'I just want to focus on this year'. He even got defensive when the journo pushed him on the topic and responded with 'I'm not here to talk about my future'. The body language would suggest he has one foot out the door and there's probably a very good chance he's heading to the Gold Coast given his recent meetings with former coach Damien Hardwick.

This video from yesterday certainly sounds like a player that's about to leave. Skip forward to 5:52 in the video below when the journo asks him if he wants to stay at Richmond and he rolls out the typical lines we hear just before someone leaves like 'I'm contracted', 'I'm focusing on the team' and 'I just want to focus on this year'. He even got defensive when the journo pushed him on the topic and responded with 'I'm not here to talk about my future'. The body language would suggest he has one foot out the door and there's probably a very good chance he's heading to the Gold Coast given his recent meetings with former coach Damien Hardwick.

It really doesn't.

The very first thing he says is I'm contracted till 2027, followed up by how he's just concentrating on playing footy, which is exactly what he should be doing.

It really doesn't.

The very first thing he says is I'm contracted till 2027, followed up by how he's just concentrating on playing footy, which is exactly what he should be doing.
Alright mate. To me it sounded like the typical lines you hear before a player requests a trade, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Alright mate. To me it sounded like the typical lines you hear before a player requests a trade, but you're entitled to your opinion.
Dunno if he is staying or going but at the moment I think he stays but just in regards to his cold answers I think it could be he was just annoyed that an interview that was supposed to be around Dreamtime at the G, one of the highlights of the AFL calendar and a significant game for our indigenous players was railroaded into a Daniel Rioli trade speculation interview in the very first question

Dunno if he is staying or going but at the moment I think he stays but just in regards to his cold answers I think it could be he was just annoyed that an interview that was supposed to be around Dreamtime at the G, one of the highlights of the AFL calendar and a significant game for our indigenous players was railroaded into a Daniel Rioli trade speculation interview in the very first question
Poor form by the media.
But us Tigers all know how they roll lol.

Poor form by the media.
But us Tigers all know how they roll lol.
Dunno why they even ask
No players have ever confirmed or denied trade speculation in season so dunno why they think they will achieve by even asking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno why they even ask
No players have ever confirmed or denied trade speculation in season so dunno why they think they will achieve by even asking

It's twofold, considering why Rioli is being interviewed especially before this game.

Beyond that, it's just a lazy attempt at a gotcha question and it's unfair to ask it of 90% of AFL players. Unless the player says categorically that they want to spend the rest of their career at their current home and they're not interested in playing anywhere else, their response is inferred as "I'm openly fielding offers."

Circumstances change. A good player like Rioli can't possibly know what's going to be offered to him two months from now, let alone by the end of his contract. He has no idea what personal circumstances may be in the near future away from footy.

Hypothetically, he could state today - completely truthfully - that he is fully committed to Richmond for the rest of his career and then be gone even before his contract is up. It wouldn't mean he lied in his original statement. But in this gotcha question era, that's probably how it would be presented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back