Dank had input into Geelong!

Remove this Banner Ad

There, there..... I sympathise with your inability to grasp it. It's really complex.

Geelong didn't do anything wrong.Hiring Robinson was a reasonable thing to do........ but if so, neither did Essendon do anything wrong.
Or,
Essendon were negligent. Robinson is a rogue who should never have been employed by anyone taking the trouble to check. Geelong, ditto.

Tricky isn't it?

It's tricky alright, trying to communicate with you.

You're effectively saying Robinsion was a rogue at every point of his life. Geelong and any point prior, by default. Because of any wrongdoing he may/may not have been involved with at Essendon, that automatically means that he MUST have done the same with every single other employer.

Do you realise how stupid it sounds when I spoon feed your alphabet soup back to you?

All up, a well thought out and logical post.
And if you accept the principle that you should do appropriate background checks before employing anyone, and not doing so would be negligent, irrespective of whether the person turns out to be dodgy or not, then I'm hoping we will see a full audit of all the employment practices of all the 18 clubs, and whenever we find that someone has been hired without a thorough background check, the hirer (and the associated coaches and assistant coaches) will be charged with bringing the game into disrepute.
Should be a busy time for the AFL investigators.

Re "I have seen no evidence to suggest Geelong's administration didn't follow protocols"..... I think I know why you haven't seen such evidence.
They haven't looked at it, because it would be a trivial misdemeanor if it did occur......unless of course if you are looking to trump up some charges against Essendon, then its a real issue.

I agree that not doing a background check alone doesn't warrant a charge of bringing the game into disrepute. But for your benefit you are looking at one thing in isolation and ignoring all the other factors which have led to the charge and the way they have handled the situation since (which has made it a bigger issue than it needed to be and damaged the image of the game).

As for other clubs you simply do not know if they did not follow their processes as they have not self reported. Do you have any experience with incident reporting processes? Near misses and incidents happen all the time. Some are reported. You address the ones that you are aware of. Your club self reported an incident and it has been investigated. Your excuse that it "may" happen elsewhere is no excuse when it comes to health and safety. When an incident happens in the industry you investigate it and warn all other entities of what caused it so they can make sure they don't make the same mistake. You certainly do not audit all entities without any information suggesting they all have the same problem.

In regards to Geelong and other clubs you are now making things up. How do you know the auditors did not look into the role of Robinson and the hiring process? Do you have any evidence that other clubs have been so irresponsible with their hiring?

Its OK. Every town in ancient Egypt used to have an Obelix too.
150px-Louxor_obelisk_Paris_dsc00780.jpg

#offtopic

Doesn't look like roasted boar to me.

Geelong - next shoe to drop?

There is no way you could charge Geelong just because Robinson worked there and that there was an article from 6 years ago that he was in contact with Dank as a consultant...especially given the different roles he held at the different clubs.

What Im curious about is what is it Robinson's past the AFL are concerned about with regard to his conduct that the club, and Thompson specifically, should/would have known about had they properly veted his hiring.
Because:
1-He has been at 2 other AFL clubs in the past
2-He was allowed a one sided interview with no response from the AFL that he was an innocent victim in this.
3-If they knew at the time, and we hired him, what was done about it?

Yeah? Where did you get that from? I'm tipping you made it up.
The Age article said Robinson said he was in regular contact with Dank and he was a trusted confidant.
Maybe they used carrier pigeons?

It's all out there in the public domain.
Are you that thick I have to Google it for you?

No, because Dank and Robinson seem to have been involved with Geelong. It's only natural to question.
No, because Dank and Robinson seem to have been involved with Geelong. It's only natural to question.
And Sanderson was at Geelong same time as Robinson - do we start investigating Adelaide. Don't forget Bock too

Umm lets see in 07 the majority of the Geelong list had been in the AFL system since 2001 so 6 or more pre-seasons an were on weight programs to ensure their bodies were similar to the Brisbane midfield on which the club based so much of their planning around.

No, Dean Laidley said they specifically got massive during the 2007 season. We beat you at Kardinia Park early in the season then by the time the Qualifying Final rolled round, where you pimped us by 157 million goals, you'd got massive ... Laidley said it was like men against boys.

Interesting.

No, Dean Laidley said they specifically got massive during the 2007 season. We beat you at Kardinia Park early in the season then by the time the Qualifying Final rolled round, where you pimped us by 157 million goals, you'd got massive ... Laidley said it was like men against boys.

Interesting.

So what was Laidley doing to your boys? Pumping them full of an anti obesity drug? Shady very shady Laidley

Interesting.
As I noted back in May when this angle was being discussed, there are photos available from back then which allow us to make comparisons.

Jimmy Bartel

9/9/2007
91058916.jpg

9/8/2006
91021838.jpg

8/7/2006
91018908.jpg

30/4/2006
21257373.jpg

Interesting.
Not at all. Cats played finals in 2004, 2005 and won the NAB Cup in 2006. Then they fell off the rails and massively underperformed until the club brought in the same consultant used by the Swans to bring about a change in culture.

Laidley's comment about men against boys was nothing more than an admission that North was shit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all. Cats played finals in 2004, 2005 and won the NAB Cup in 2006. Then they fell off the rails and massively underperformed until the club brought in the same consultant used by the Swans to bring about a change in culture.

Laidley's comment about men against boys was nothing more than an admission that North was shit

No, it was a direct comment about the size and hardness of your players and how much that had changed since early 2007 into September 2007. While Robinson was at the club. And on the phone to Dank daily.

It was inevitable that certain jealous, bitter and sex starved supporters of other clubs would bump this story, just to discredit Geelong.

Geelong has been the undisputed most successful club in the AFL in the past decade and the club got there through long, hard work - inspired draft selections, prudent management, excellent coaching, talented players willing to forsake $$$ for success, and loyal supporters.

So to those who can't accept Geelong's success was and continues to be 100% legitimate, STFU

Interesting.
I saw Geelong play Brisbane in the 2004 preliminary final and i had the same thoughts as Laidley, Geelong were like boys against the Lions, it took the Cats 3 more years to fill out and become the men they were in 2007, people are clutching at straws here.
This is my take on it, Essendon were caught trying to fast track their progress, Thompson had arrived at Essendon and was shocked to see the difference in size of the players compared to the more seasoned and successful Geelong list. He mentioned this himself on fox footy last year. If anyone was going to know it would be Thompson. Hird realised his job was going to be significantly more difficult unless the Bombers were more physically and aerobically competitive otherwise the Cats and Hawks would toss them around like rag dolls. The Bombers were still hungover from the Sheedy years and were looking down the barrel of a Carlton like decline that saw the Blues collect 3 wooden spoons and experience their worst decade in the club's history. Essendon wanted none of that. They pushed the envelope and their 'Whatever It Takes' mantra has come back to bite them on the arse!

Dank had nothing to do with Geelong.

There is no way you could charge Geelong just because Robinson worked there and that there was an article from 6 years ago that he was in contact with Dank as a consultant...especially given the different roles he held at the different clubs.

What Im curious about is what is it Robinson's past the AFL are concerned about with regard to his conduct that the club, and Thompson specifically, should/would have known about had they properly veted his hiring.
Because:
1-He has been at 2 other AFL clubs in the past
2-He was allowed a one sided interview with no response from the AFL that he was an innocent victim in this.
3-If they knew at the time, and we hired him, what was done about it?
Don't think your questions will ever be answered, as soon as Essendon accept the deal all this will disappear into the ether. I doubt that investigations into the HR processes of GCFC, MFC and GFC will ever be conducted as the AFL has way to much to lose out of any dirt that may surface.

As I noted back in May when this angle was being discussed, there are photos available from back then which allow us to make comparisons.

Jimmy Bartel

9/9/2007
91058916.jpg

9/8/2006
91021838.jpg

8/7/2006
91018908.jpg

30/4/2006
21257373.jpg
Not sure what we are looking at here, apart from images of a champion of the game. Go Jimmeh. go Cats

I saw Geelong play Brisbane in the 2004 preliminary final and i had the same thoughts as Laidley, Geelong were like boys against the Lions, it took the Cats 3 more years to fill out and become the men they were in 2007, people are clutching at straws here.
This is my take on it, Essendon were caught trying to fast track their progress, Thompson had arrived at Essendon and was shocked to see the difference in size of the players compared to the more seasoned and successful Geelong list. He mentioned this himself on fox footy last year. If anyone was going to know it would be Thompson. Hird realised his job was going to be significantly more difficult unless the Bombers were more physically and aerobically competitive otherwise the Cats and Hawks would toss them around like rag dolls. The Bombers were still hungover from the Sheedy years and were looking down the barrel of a Carlton like decline that saw the Blues collect 3 wooden spoons and experience their worst decade in the club's history. Essendon wanted none of that. They pushed the envelope and their 'Whatever It Takes' mantra has come back to bite them on the arse!

Dank had nothing to do with Geelong.
You must have missed the Australian article from 2009 that said Robinson(during his time at the Cats) was in daily contact with Dank.

No, it was a direct comment about the size and hardness of your players and how much that had changed since early 2007 into September 2007. While Robinson was at the club. And on the phone to Dank daily.
And what did Laidley do about it?

You must have missed the Australian article from 2009 that said Robinson(during his time at the Cats) was in daily contact with Dank.
Big deal. Robinson's sole job at Geelong was weights fitness. Only the club doctors administered medication. And on the premises.

It was inevitable that certain jealous, bitter and sex starved supporters of other clubs would bump this story, just to discredit Geelong.

Geelong has been the undisputed most successful club in the AFL in the past decade and the club got there through long, hard work - inspired draft selections, prudent management, excellent coaching, talented players willing to forsake $$$ for success, and loyal supporters.

So to those who can't accept Geelong's success was and continues to be 100% legitimate, STFU

Hate to say it dude but that kind of attitude makes you sound like Essendon supporter...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back