Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

What I have noticed mainly with playing WC and nic nat....grundy watches nic nat until the last moment then looks at ball.

Cameron watches the ball and only the ball from the bounce.

Make of that what you will

Grundy isn't a huge bouncy leap, he's a muscular torso'd player with a very good brain and engine. He looks to see if he can exploit/rove/counter jump, and against beanpoles like Gawn (and NicNat because he's a superb athlete) he does get beaten at the high bounces.

NicNat is a rare mix of smart, strong and quick. Getting beaten for half a game by him is no shame, most blokes get thrashed for 3 or 4 quarters.

Natanui really bulldozes the second tier rucks (like Grundy does, if anything BG punishes them harder than anyone) so its a testament that Cameron could take advantage of the fatigue and rise to the moment with 1:32 remaining.

There were 2 occasions when Cameron started in the ruck and he had a chance to tap it to one of our players but he seemed hesitant and just tapped it to the ground in which WC scored from the center, this tap crap to the feet is obviously a directive from the coaching panel and I still can't work out why we choose to do it

There were 2 occasions when Cameron started in the ruck and he had a chance to tap it to one of our players but he seemed hesitant and just tapped it to the ground in which WC scored from the center, this tap crap to the feet is obviously a directive from the coaching panel and I still can't work out why we choose to do it

Who is our ruck coach...?

A very good game this week including some strong marks down the line and inside 50. Faded a bit, but was arguably our best. Wish had of kicked that goal in the third as we were starting to build momentum though.

He can definitely play; whether he’s a better option than Cox is open to debate but I think he has some worthwhile attributes, and also I think Grundy plays better in tandem with Cameron than he does with Cox.

He can definitely play; whether he’s a better option than Cox is open to debate but I think he has some worthwhile attributes, and also I think Grundy plays better in tandem with Cameron than he does with Cox.

Hopefully Cameron can string a couple of good games in a row

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today was his 12th or 13th game of senior footy. What he did today is what Cox fails to do and that is to continually contest rather than being out marked or pushed out of the contest.

The best thing about today is that Cox now has to perform well in the VFL if he wants to play seniors. It’s the same with all our players. We need competition for spots.

Last edited:
Was averaging near 1.6 contested marks per game before yesterday’s 4 contested marks.

If he can kick a goal a game, take near several marks and have several hit outs... then he’s done his job as a ruck forward.

If they are not playing Moore up front, then I’d play both Cameron and Cox. We are devoid of targets inside 50.

And those two playing together went okay against Richmond in the preseason. Gotta try something.

As I've said for a while, Cameron provides more than Cox will ever provide on a consistent basis.

He showed he belonged yesterday, so let's hope he continues that momentum going forward now.

Was averaging near 1.6 contested marks per game before yesterday’s 4 contested marks.

If he can kick a goal a game, take near several marks and have several hit outs... then he’s done his job as a ruck forward.

If they are not playing Moore up front, then I’d play both Cameron and Cox. We are devoid of targets inside 50.

And those two playing together went okay against Richmond in the preseason. Gotta try something.

I contend a goal a game, several marks, and several hitouts as a ruck forward is the output that should have always been expected of Cox as well (or at least that's the output he brings)

They are startlingly similar players; and debating the upside of either over the other is looking for very marginal gains, to the point where you might as well just keep whichever one you can hold onto for cheaper. Cox has played the type of game Cameron played yesterday (in Finals, no less); both players are capable of going completely missing.

It will be interesting with Cox out of contract at the end of the year. If we stick with Cameron, Cox should have been traded last year (assuming someone wanted him)

I was very impressed with him yesterday. Should have had 4 goals, but 3.1 pretty decent. Definitely his breakout game.

Sadly did not back it up vs Suns

Did fine for a ruck forward.

No goals, 2 behinds... but 15 touches, 6 marks (4 contested, 2 inside 50), 13 hitouts, 3 clearances, 5 score involvements, 249 metres gained

If Moore was remotely effective up front today we’d be lauding how the Moore, Mihocek, Cameron mix worked

Cox is the final product. Cameron still has growth in him, is better value for money than Cox and appears to have less ego too

No goals, 2 behinds... but 15 touches, 6 marks (4 contested, 2 inside 50), 13 hitouts, 3 clearances, 5 score involvements, 249 metres gained

If Moore was remotely effective up front today we’d be lauding how the Moore, Mihocek, Cameron mix worked

Cox is the final product. Cameron still has growth in him, is better value for money than Cox and appears to have less ego too
Yeah , well said, Moore does not know how to get near the ball atm. If he continues to get such low stats he will come under fire for selection. He was rated the worst player on the ground today.

Exactly. Cameron is 25, on peanuts. Cox is 30, and on good (some say overpaid) money. If the team has decided a tall relief ruckman with bare-minimun to serviceable key forward skills is part of the list plan going into the future, then Cameron is an excellent acquisition as an almost exact like-for-like with Cox.

Cox's ego may be annoying but I'll take it for the Richmond finals win and the Eagles finals win. One of those "would hate him on any other team, love him on my team" deals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back