Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Your focus on ruck contests ignores Cameron's around the ground marking, disposals and goals which have been better than anything dished up by Grundy this year prior to injury.
We've got a gun stoppage ruck and a gun around the ground ruck - it's a good situation to be in. Going to be a big challenge for the coaches to make the most of their strengths though - and probably requires Grundy to become a contributor as a forward to really work effectively.

AFL360 has the solution.
Grundy must spend less time in the ruck and more time in the forward line. Where he can learn to clunk.
A 50/50 split in ruck duties is the best solution right now.
This leaves Cox as a backup option. Which seems a bit unfair as he does seem to have picked up his around the ground game.

Maybe Grundy ā€œcan learn to clunkā€ in the VFL firstā€¦

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe Grundy ā€œcan learn to clunkā€ in the VFL firstā€¦

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
You'd think that clunking is a skill you either have or haven't got. It's also something you'd hope Grundy would have mastered prior to being offered the best contract of any player at the club.

He takes very few marks in a game. Cameron is a much better contested mark. He is also a better kick, both around the ground and for goal.
Have to wonder what Grundy got his two AA places for.
Can only assume Cameron is a lock this year?

Grundy can take contested marks. Some of the commentary on his so called deficiencies is ridiculous.

Heā€™s a dual AA ruck.

Grundy averages 0.8 contested marks per game.

Cox averages 2 contested marks per game

Darcy Cameron averages 2 contested marks per game.

The difference that's made to the team is very noticeable, they also get out-marked far less than Grundy. Grundy is awful above his head for a big guy.

Grundy averages 0.8 contested marks per game.

Cox averages 2 contested marks per game

Darcy Cameron averages 2 contested marks per game.

The difference that's made to the team is very noticeable, they also get out-marked far less than Grundy. Grundy is awful above his head for a big guy.
Like I said earlier. Staggering to think that Grundy won two AAs when Cameron is such a better playerā€¦.

Have to wonder what Grundy got his two AA places for.
Can only assume Cameron is a lock this year?
Grundy got his 2AA's for a style of ruck play which he has not been able to replicate since 2019. Cameron is certainly a lock and will no doubt team with Grundy when he returns - unless Cox complicates selection by consistently playing good football. Interested to see the two rucks compete with Witts.

Grundy got his 2AA's for a style of ruck play which he has not been able to replicate since 2019. Cameron is certainly a lock and will no doubt team with Grundy when he returns - unless Cox complicates selection by consistently playing good football. Interested to see the two rucks compete with Witts.
I read a lot on this board about how bad Grundy is. Very little about how good he is.
I donā€™t think thatā€™s right.

He needs to recapture his 2019 form. His strength was his follow up in ruck contests and his ability to link with the mids in general play.
Sounds like a useful player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno maybe Nic Nat had a hair out of place so he was lame
QBday was the only game all year where Gawn was involved in less ruck contests than L.Jackson.

Gawn looks like missing at least a month of footy with his bung ankle, that he tried to play through on QBday.

Gawn WAS lame, he was battling his dodgy ankle and not covering the ground he normally would.

But yes, happy for you to add to your list of make believe - Darcy has beaten NicNat in a final, and also beat a fit and firing Gawn on QBday.

Another ruckman not renowed for his contested marking was a 2021 All Australian.

Interesting stats comparison between the 2021 AA season of Naitanui and Grundy's.

Comparison between Grundy in his last AA season (2019) vs Naitanui at the same age (2015)

Why does it matter what Grundy did 3/4 years ago? We're talking about the player he is now?

Do you judge Pendlebury now on how good he was 10 years ago?
Of course not.
Grundyā€™s last quarter of play whilst carrying a knee injury was very good. Evidence that he can still make important contributions to our team.

I donā€™t really care who plays for Collingwood just so long as we win.

I read a lot on this board about how bad Grundy is. Very little about how good he is.

Iā€™m hoping to see a rejuvenated Grundyā€¦. One that no longer has the burden of carrying the side by rucking and around the ground play for 80 percent of the time. Bringing him back to 60/40 will provide him the opportunity prove his worth.. will be a great test to see how he utilises that 40%

QBday was the only game all year where Gawn was involved in less ruck contests than L.Jackson.

Gawn looks like missing at least a month of footy with his bung ankle, that he tried to play through on QBday.

Gawn WAS lame, he was battling his dodgy ankle and not covering the ground he normally would.

But yes, happy for you to add to your list of make believe - Darcy has beaten NicNat in a final, and also beat a fit and firing Gawn on QBday.

Again go with whatever narrative you like , you're the one making up the story.

This season has been the number 2 ruckman for average clearances both centre (12th in the league) and overall clearances (24th). Number 1 at Collingwood.
Number 3 ruckman for inside 50s.

Iā€™m hoping to see a rejuvenated Grundyā€¦. One that no longer has the burden of carrying the side by rucking and around the ground play for 80 percent of the time. Bringing him back to 60/40 will provide him the opportunity prove his worth.. will be a great test to see how he utilises that 40%
yeah I agree. We should be looking forward to Grundy being able to rotate a little more with Cameron. Should be more dangerous around the ground not having to ruck over 80% of the game.

It is all very well talking up Grundy but by next year it will be 4 seasons since his AA form and the only way he can get back is by having either Cox or Cameron taking 40% of the ruck contests but as this is a thread about Cameron that what I am going to talk about.

Your focus on ruck contests ignores Cameron's around the ground marking, disposals and goals which have been better than anything dished up by Grundy this year prior to injury.

But Cameron was delivering very similar numbers with Grundy in the side. Does that make it a net gain or a net loss?

It is all very well talking up Grundy but by next year it will be 4 seasons since his AA form and the only way he can get back is by having either Cox or Cameron taking 40% of the ruck contests but as this is a thread about Cameron that what I am going to talk about.
This is what they call ā€œa good problem to haveā€

Want to talk about Cameron? Sure. Heā€™s a more than adequate forward so 60 percent forward time will work well when grundy comes back. Heā€™s a good mark and a good kick. As a ruckman heā€™s competitive but no superstar.

This is what they call ā€œa good problem to haveā€

Want to talk about Cameron? Sure. Heā€™s a more than adequate forward so 60 percent forward time will work well when grundy comes back. Heā€™s a good mark and a good kick. As a ruckman heā€™s competitive but no superstar.
You could same the same now for Grundy - he is no superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back