Player Watch Darcy Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that article he is honest enough to know Brodie will be back soon and hoping to play with him but also gave credit to Cox for the way he is playing, good
stuff. He also spoke of the battles with both Witts and Gawn who he said are the best tap rucks atm no arguement there from me and how you have to make it a shitfight which I also agree with I am not sure I agree with him about winning it al but after last season it is nice to have a positive attitude.

AFL360 has the solution.
Grundy must spend less time in the ruck and more time in the forward line. Where he can learn to clunk.
A 50/50 split in ruck duties is the best solution right now.
This leaves Cox as a backup option. Which seems a bit unfair as he does seem to have picked up his around the ground game.

Grundy has as much chance of growing wings as becoming a marking forward. It's fanciful non-sense and any serious footy analyst should understand that. It's just a lazy sound bite to fill content.

Grundy can take contested marks. Some of the commentary on his so called deficiencies is ridiculous.

He’s a dual AA ruck.

Grundy takes the occassional contested mark but is incredibly inconsistent and poor on balance.

I read a lot on this board about how bad Grundy is. Very little about how good he is.
I don’t think that’s right.

Grundy is a very good ruck and player. He is an excellent tap ruck and wins a lot of footy around the ground and at the contest. It doesn't mean he's a good mark though and Cameron has him covered here. It depends what qualities you value in a ruck I guess.

Time to call time on Cameron I think.

Not sure how the game plan can suit him any better.

Ruck depth.

I think we've seen enough from Cameron. He's not up to it.

It’s Hines fault we rely on Cameron/Cox as KPFs

An American who cant see and a bloke who was worth a pick in the 50s

It’s beyond sad

Here’s a bunch of quotes about Darcy Cameron after round 4

I’m not doing this to point out people who are wrong (I’ve removed the ID tags) …

… just pointing out how quickly things can change from looking terrible and hopeless, to giving us something to cheer about.

Grundy has as much chance of growing wings as becoming a marking forward. It's fanciful non-sense and any serious footy analyst should understand that. It's just a lazy sound bite to fill content.

I think Grundy can become a threat forward of the ball and that's all you need. To me he often seems poor in the contested marking situations as he seems really tired by the time he gets there. If he has more rest time he should be stronger and might be a threat...not saying it will happen but he definitely has a better chance of becoming a marking forward than he does growing wings....I mean that's where my money would be. Putting your hard earned on people growing wings seems a little outlandish.

Ive been having a good think about this why can't we play all 3 use Grundy around the ground heck he could even start as a big ruck rover and ruck forward Cox and Cameron I honestly don't see why we can't I know they tried it early in the year and it was dismal but Cox and Cameron. Are playing great footy to me it's how can we fit Grundy back into that mix

I think Grundy can become a threat forward of the ball and that's all you need. To me he often seems poor in the contested marking situations as he seems really tired by the time he gets there. If he has more rest time he should be stronger and might be a threat

I don't think extra rest will make a difference. Grundy struggles marking around the ground where he has more favourable match-ups and more space. You move forward you get better defenders.

...not saying it will happen but he definitely has a better chance of becoming a marking forward than he does growing wings....I mean that's where my money would be. Putting your hard earned on people growing wings seems a little outlandish.

I obviously wasn't being literal. It's a figure of speech. Does that really need pointing out?

Here’s a bunch of quotes about Darcy Cameron after round 4

I’m not doing this to point out people who are wrong (I’ve removed the ID tags) …

… just pointing out how quickly things can change from looking terrible and hopeless, to giving us something to cheer about.
I'm not sure if any of these is me, but I definitely felt similar (perhaps slightly less harshly worded) doubts about DC when he was stuck in the F50 for 80% of the game. I thought he was struggling to reach enough contests and was being beaten a bit too easily.

It's incredible how much better he's become when given the freedom to roam as first ruck. Massive credit to him. He can find the ball around the ground really well for a big man, and he becomes genuinely elite in the air when he doesn't have a dedicated defender scragging him every step of the way (same with Cox). And that confidence now seems to have carried over to his stints in the forward line.

I'm a DC convert. Diet Coke from here on out.

Not a marking forward, but can he play up forward as a big lump who clears space at the ball drop and also battles well at ground level?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think extra rest will make a difference. Grundy struggles marking around the ground where he has more favourable match-ups and more space. You move forward you get better defenders.

I obviously wasn't being literal. It's a figure of speech. Does that really need pointing out?

Geez dude, I thought it couldn't get more obvious it was a joke.

Anyone else think Cameron and Cox held up really well against Witts, who will give the AA ruck position a really good shout? Especially in the wet against his huge body.

Wittsy is a gun. DC and Mason played a really solid tandem game, again.
They combined to win more hit outs and took 10 marks between them whilst Witts only got 2.

Cameron along with Noble & IQ is in our most improved players this year. Covering the loss of Grundy has seem him step up to heights I would have never imagined possible. He is dominating ruck contests and pack marking around the ground. He is dropping back into holes and pushing forward to create a scoring option. He is doing everything you could ask from a ruckman. He has been so good I rate him in the Top 6 or 7 rucks in the competition right now and his value to us is superior to that of Grundy given Grundy's limitations around pack marking and forward work. Cox is giving great support to Cameron, but we really need Grundy to evolve into a 50% ruck because Cameron needs 50% ruck time as well. Just love Cameron's work this season.

The pair of them were really good and Witts was not a factor Miller was but not Witts unlike last time.

Cameron along with Noble & IQ is in our most improved players this year.

You don’t rate Jack Ginnivan going from a nobody 5 game player, to 26 goals from 13 games, ANZAC Day medal, GOTY nomination, Rising Star nomination?

You don’t rate Jack Ginnivan going from a nobody 5 game player, to 26 goals from 13 games, ANZAC Day medal, GOTY nomination, Rising Star nomination?
Hahaha! I see what you did there! Although it would be easy to say yes, I wish to think more deeply on this. So, my answer would be....No, I don't rate that as actual improvement. Second year in, this is the Jacky G we expect, The Jacky G he teased in year one, the Jacky G he is, the Jacky G he was born to be!! The others had many years of averageness previously and they have improved more dramatically because it has been a pleasant unexpected spike. It's like saying do you see Nick Daicos as a big improver this season based on what he did last year for another club or is what he is doing just him being him because we have not seen anything different?

Don't forget Ollie Henry! Or Nathan Murphy! Or McCreery, WHE, JDaics... man, what a great season.
Murphy was super last night against 2 boys who are much bigger than him was physical also we might need to take the oppo,s best forward the way things are going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back