Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was always going to take a few AFL preseasons and playing time for Darcy Fogarty to get his engine up to speed. He is going fine at SANFL level and another big preseason ahead, I would think he is then in line to start playing AFL and on a regular basis. I maintain that he is going to be a super player - but he needs to build and grow and when his next chance comes that he is ready. He is someone that we must lock away for the long haul contract wise

Danger?imean we got someone we delisted so for me that means nothing. In regards to Fog. While he is not playing we have nothing to show for the CC trade where he is killing it
We also got Milera from that trade, and would have gotten a lesser pick if Geelong didn't trade with us but we were always going to match their $800K offer.

Bovo didn't. I'm supporting Kristof on this one that getting Fog for CC is hardly getting nothing.

Keep up ;)
Nothing was probably a poor choice of words. But at this stage we have lost someone who is delivering to someone with a gian upside but can’t get a run and losing a player who would get a run to gaining a player who can’t break the side feels like we haven’t got our money’s worth....yet. I am fairly confident this will be a be patient it will come

Fogarty will replace Walker.

People have thought that since he was drafted, but I think that line of thought has been undone by recent events, notably our headlong pursuit of a natural CHF in Jack Lukosius, and the (ultimately spurious) talk about shifting Fogarty back to defense as a replacement option for Doedee, a player who is a third/medium defender rather than a KPD.

I'm pretty sure the club sees Fogarty as a third forward, he just doesn't have the height to be a genuine KPF.

People have thought that since he was drafted, but I think that line of thought has been undone by recent events, notably our headlong pursuit of a natural CHF in Jack Lukosius, and the (ultimately spurious) talk about shifting Fogarty back to defense as a replacement option for Doedee, a player who is a third/medium defender rather than a KPD.

I'm pretty sure the club sees Fogarty as a third forward, he just doesn't have the height to be a genuine KPF.
I'm pretty sure they don't.

Around the same height as Tex, Jack Reiwoldt, Charlie Curnow who all more than hold their own.

Lukosius is 2cm taller than Fogarty so that doesn't make much sense

Lukosius is 2cm taller than Fogarty so that doesn't make much sense

Sure it does, when you understand that 195cm is really the lower limit for height for a KPP going forward.

Fogarty is much more the size of Stringer, Darling, McCarthy, Lynch, M. McGovern, all noted third forwards, and he certainly doesn't play tall.

Watching fogarty in the sanfl, sometimes he plays chf, others chb, sometimes an outside mid, sometimes an inside mid. He could do a number on geelong half back line as a defensive forward.

We tested him down back to try to get him into the AFL side (but Keath's form has stopped that and more so he looked lost down there) and he is the same height as Walker.

Sure it does, when you understand that 195cm is really the lower limit for height for a KPP going forward.

Fogarty is much more the size of Stringer, Darling, McCarthy, all noted third forwards, and he certainly doesn't play tall.

The difference between 193cm and 195cm is negligible.

Jack Riewoldt is 193cm, Tom McDonald 194cm, Taylor Walker 193cm, Harry Himmelberg 194cm, Jack Gunston 193cm, Charlie Curnow 194cm. All play key position forward roles.

Plenty of key position defenders as well don't reach 195cm. Michael Hurley (193cm), Steven May (193cm), Kyle Hartigan (194cm), Darcy Gardiner (193cm), Joel Hamling (194cm), James Frawley (193cm), Scott Thompson (193cm), Tom Clurey (193cm), Tom Barrass (194cm)

Not sure where this 195cm limit has come from to play key position. Because it's certainly not backed up in the data

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We still got something rather than nothing even if inadequate which was the point Kristof was making.

Most on this board thought it was a win when we got the Fog for CC pick, yet now it's nothing.

There is a distinct lack of patience on this board, as Fog is likely to be a special player for us... but he won't be dominating the AFL as a 19 year old.

Lack of patience? This board???

Surely you jest. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jack Riewoldt is 193cm, Tom McDonald 194cm, Taylor Walker 193cm, Harry Himmelberg 194cm, Jack Gunston 193cm, Charlie Curnow 194cm. All play key position forward roles.

Plenty of key position defenders as well don't reach 195cm. Michael Hurley (193cm), Steven May (193cm), Kyle Hartigan (194cm), Darcy Gardiner (193cm), Joel Hamling (194cm), James Frawley (193cm), Scott Thompson (193cm), Tom Clurey (193cm), Tom Barrass (194cm)

Not sure where this 195cm limit has come from to play key position. Because it's certainly not backed up in the data

Modra would clean up at ff today. He was only 188 cms.

Of course it's not backed up by the data- reality has no part of the prediction he's pushing. He's started from the position that Fog is a dud who can never make it, like he has a number of other talented youngsters, and he's worked backwards to try to come up with a justification.

I mean, he's still claiming that Jack Darling is a third tall because they sometimes rest a ruckman up there. :drunk:

Of course it's not backed up by the data- reality has no part of the prediction he's pushing. He's started from the position that Fog is a dud who can never make it, like he has a number of other talented youngsters, and he's worked backwards to try to come up with a justification.

I mean, he's still claiming that Jack Darling is a third tall because they sometimes rest a ruckman up there. :drunk:

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Jack Darling is a third tall. He's only 191, he is typically stood by the third defender, and plays as an alternative foil to a genuine tall in Kennedy and the resting ruckman. He plays tall because he's strong overhead, but he's simply not a KPF.

And where did I ever say Fogarty was a dud?

My contention is that the club sees him as a third forward, because of our pursuit of Lukosius, and thegeneral vibe around the circumstances of his draft combined with suspicion over McGovern and Lynch getting older, and because he lacks the attributes to be a standout anything else - he's not big enough to be a genuine KPF, and he's never demonstrated the athleticism or ball winning ability to be a midfielder. So far the most he's really given is a bone jarring boofhead pleaser of a tackle/don't argue per game, which feels good, but isn't worth a lot.

Last edited:
You're kidding yourself if you don't think Jack Darling is a third tall. He's only 191, he is typically stood by the third defender, and plays as an alternative foil to a genuine tall in Kennedy and the resting ruckman. He plays tall because he's strong overhead, but he's simply not a KPF.

I'm not very familiar with West Coast's side. Can you please identify which of these players is their resting ruckman and/or second key position forward?

This is the team they fielded on Thursday

The issue wasnt that your bizzare claims about both Darling and Fogarty hadnt been said enough times- you've repeated them ad nauseum. It's that you've been entirely unable to go beyond simply asserting them- you can't support them in any meaningful way.

And of course you can't. They're not based upon reality. Darling is a key position forward, and Fogarty is big enough to play key position.

And where did I ever say Fogarty was a dud?

My contention is that the club sees him as a third forward, because of our pursuit of Lukosius, and thegeneral vibe around the circumstances of his draft combined with suspicion over McGovern and Lynch getting older, and because he lacks the attributes to be a standout anything else - he's not big enough to be a genuine KPF, and he's never demonstrated the athleticism or ball winning ability to be a midfielder. So far the most he's really given is a bone jarring boofhead pleaser of a tackle/don't argue per game, which feels good, but isn't worth a lot.
He is the same height as Walker who he will eventually replace, if you can't see that.......

He is the same height as Walker who he will eventually replace, if you can't see that.......

Walker has ultimately been disappointing as a key forward, and we're constantly criticising him for his lack of ability to outmark opponents, particularly in contested pack situations. How is replacing Walker with a guy who appears to largely have the same deficiencies going to change anything?

I'm not very familiar with West Coast's side. Can you please identify which of these players is their resting ruckman and/or second key position forward?

This is the team they fielded on Thursday

Because a team with form and fitness issues has never gone into a game short before

Walker has ultimately been disappointing as a key forward, and we're constantly criticising him for his lack of ability to outmark opponents, particularly in contested pack situations. How is replacing Walker with a guy who appears to largely have the same deficiencies going to change anything?

Because a team with form and fitness issues has never gone into a game short before
Guess you didn't see some of the contested marks he took this year, let's just say it's not his "lack" of height that he can't take them....Fogarty plays a lot more aggressive then Walker.

Back