Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've also said repeatedly that I think the goal drought had an effect on his psyche. I'm not convinced that effort wasnt there earlier in the year, despite claims to the contrary by a lot of posters. I do think his confidence was at all time lows. Snapping the goal against the Cats seemed to get the weight off his back, he then clunked a mark or two and things have stuck since. He genuinely believes he belongs at the level now, and he's starting to pull out things that we hadnt seen since his first two seasons.
This 100%. Earlier in the year his whole body language and facial expressions reeked of a bloke having the pressure to perform, but severely lacking in confidence and knowing he was on the verge of being dropped again, which only compounded the problem. His self belief would have been at an all time low and when you’re a young power forward you need to that because it’s not always going to be smooth sailing, especially in a s**t side.

Thankfully it’s change, his confidence is up and he’s having a crack at everything as a result, bringing more opportunities and rewards as we are seeing now.

The 'change' is a phenomenon that you see with every talented sports person who has ever existed - that with time and experience they improve their output.

Some posters even in the recent past have labelled him a likely delisting and said that he didn't have what it takes to succeed at AFL level. To them now seeing him play well something must have 'changed.'

No, they were just wrong. And are now trying to invent reasons that prove they weren't. The simplest answer is the correct one. They showed poor judgement and didn't see what he would be. Which is no biggie. Heck, the club were backing Frampton to be a better forward than Fogarty just last season. And were backing Himmelberg to be a better forward merely weeks ago.

All young players are inconsistent and have flaws that need to be ironed out over time. For some these rough edges get disguised/compensated by having strong teams around them. Kozi Pickett in our team wouldn't have fared as well as he has at Melbourne. Fog has arrived during the worst period in our history. As a forward is in part reliant on what goes on ahead of him.

The issue is that it has taken him so long to get to 50 games. Just having a look through and he's been dropped/not picked for Round 1 twelve times in his career. Last year was the first time he'd played a stretch of more than 5 games in a row.

Let's hope we don't do the same with Thilthorpe
RT is an interesting one, do we persist as a forward at the minute or give him some games as a ruck to get him into the game and build his confidence? With Tex and Fog firing he is going to have reduced opportunities up forward and he looks like a confidence player who is hard on himself.

Speaking of this type of player, Rachele is the same. Reckon his confidence is struggling and he’s losing his swagger. Maybe with Macadam out he will get more opportunities. In the meantime we should be increasing his midfield minutes to get him involved, he needs to be touching the footy.

RT is an interesting one, do we persist as a forward at the minute or give him some games as a ruck to get him into the game and build his confidence? With Tex and Fog firing he is going to have reduced opportunities up forward and he looks like a confidence player who is hard on himself.

Speaking of this type of player, Rachele is the same. Reckon his confidence is struggling and he’s losing his swagger. Maybe with Macadam out he will get more opportunities. In the meantime we should be increasing his midfield minutes to get him involved, he needs to be touching the footy.
Predominantly a forward but should use his running ability and ground level skills as a starting point

Get him working up and down the ground as much as we can.

Not a stay at home clunker we can bomb it into. He'll struggle with that as a 2nd year player.

I fear that's what we want though and we'll keep him in the weight room until he can do it

Rachele is one that we should definitely be getting involved more by pushing him up the ground, probably into Ned’s role. He’s spending a lot of time in the forward pocket right now and it isn’t doing him any good at all. Use him in a position where he can still potentially find the goals, but his class can also be on display

Hard to say on RT, his season’s been so interrupted now that even when he does come back into the side, I’m not sure how much of an impact he will have. Probably one we need to use more as a floating tall in the forward 2/3rds of the ground, to get him involved. Still needs to improve as a contested marking threat though, when this comes we’ll start to see his talent really shine

FWIW the talk about Fog’s confidence is a fair point. This probably was a factor in why he wasn’t able to consistently lead and present at the ball, he just wasn’t sure how to best get involved, particularly this year (I.e. not a fitness thing this year, that side of things doesn’t just come overnight)

I see RT, Jones,Rachelle, Soligo and Schoenberg all in the same category, I believe will all be long term good players. It’s strange you can for some reason just click and feel like you belong, where that fits in the games played? but while Texis there I’m sure he’ll give them all the encouragement they need.
We just need the coaches to give them field time to play their natural games, find the footy boys, let the more senior players play more defensive

May 2022 - FOG cannot expect be expected to perform because of these 10,000 excuses.

Absolutely Nothing changes from the club or team.

June 2022 - You dummies. I always knew he would succeed. How can you be surprised.

No question he is working harder. I don’t know the details of the training programs they work through but I recall Burgess in an interview saying we were perhaps training Fog to do the wrong type of running - endurance rather than burst - and perhaps he just needed to freshen a bit from the training load to reap the benefit. Trying to squeeze too much into preseason ? Who knows

My main “gripe” with the anti Fog faction has been the “delist him” “won’t be on an AFL list in 2 years” nonsense. Even before this patch of form he was showing enough development as per his 24 goal season last year (pro rata for a 31 goal year if he played all the games ) was clearly developing into a decent second/third option.

He now appears to be going to a level above that 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The 'change' is a phenomenon that you see with every talented sports person who has ever existed - that with time and experience they improve their output.

Some posters even in the recent past have labelled him a likely delisting and said that he didn't have what it takes to succeed at AFL level. To them now seeing him play well something must have 'changed.'

No, they were just wrong. And are now trying to invent reasons that prove they weren't. The simplest answer is the correct one. They showed poor judgement and didn't see what he would be. Which is no biggie. Heck, the club were backing Frampton to be a better forward than Fogarty just last season. And were backing Himmelberg to be a better forward merely weeks ago.

All young players are inconsistent and have flaws that need to be ironed out over time. For some these rough edges get disguised/compensated by having strong teams around them. Kozi Pickett in our team wouldn't have fared as well as he has at Melbourne. Fog has arrived during the worst period in our history. As a forward is in part reliant on what goes on ahead of him.

The issue is that it has taken him so long to get to 50 games. Just having a look through and he's been dropped/not picked for Round 1 twelve times in his career. Last year was the first time he'd played a stretch of more than 5 games in a row.

Let's hope we don't do the same with Thilthorpe
I think anyone with even a passing interest in Aussie Rules could see the talent in Fog.

I don't think things changed, but something certainly clicked with him.

There was a notable difference when he came back from being dropped, we've now see two running goals from a guy who was usually stuck taking 3 to 4 leading marks and kicking 2 goals.

That last quarter was as good a qtr as anyone bar Walker has had for us for at least 3 years. Look at where his touches were and it wasn't just stuck leading out of goal.

I understand people can be critical because it was only North, but I would suggest the reduced pressure on our midfield did contribute to the ability to actually get it to Fog in a even remotely favourable way.

I don't expect 20 and 4 against Melbourne.

However I do hope for more of the same endeavour we've seen over the last 4 matches.

Last edited:
He’s a kpf at only 22 he’s gonna take time.
Just because it looks like he’s turned the corner doesn’t mean it’s only up from here or that something has definitely changed..
He’s gonna have down weeks, but with maturity and confidence I’m confident we’ll see performances like that more regularly.

Last edited:
Gonna be fascinating to see Darcy go up against Lever, May and Petty this week. 3 very strong defenders but all very different defenders. TBH I can't really tell which matchup suits him best or worst out of the 3.

It might be the kind of game you just tell him to F**k it, i'm in good form, who-ever is on me has to beat me, rather then trying to orchestrate a preferable matchup.

Gonna be fascinating to see Darcy go up against Lever, May and Petty this week. 3 very strong defenders but all very different defenders. TBH I can't really tell which matchup suits him best or worst out of the 3.

It might be the kind of game you just tell him to F**k it, i'm in good form, who-ever is on me has to beat me, rather then trying to orchestrate a preferable matchup.
Is May playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’ll come down to how well the blokes ahead of him play.

If Melbournes mids are on top, enabling their defence to set up, it doesn’t matter what the key forward does really

I think it’ll come down to how well the blokes ahead of him play.

If Melbournes mids are on top, enabling their defence to set up, it doesn’t matter what the key forward does really
Playing the best side in the comp is actually a really good challenge for him right now IMO. He's not gonna get it all his way, but he can still make himself a genuine handfull for 4 quarters.

TBH I think his stats aren't all that important this week. I just want to see him continue to use that burst and effort against the big kids on the block, see if he can't bloody a nose or 2 along the way.

Playing the best side in the comp is actually a really good challenge for him right now IMO. He's not gonna get it all his way, but he can still make himself a genuine handfull for 4 quarters.

TBH I think his stats aren't all that important this week. I just want to see him continue to use that burst and effort against the big kids on the block, see if he can't bloody a nose or 2 along the way.
Who goes to him? Lever?

Presume May gets Tex?

He’s a kpf at only 22 he’s gonna take time.
Just because it looks like he’s turned the corner doesn’t mean it’s only up from here or that something has definitely changed..
He’s gonna have down weeks, but with maturity and confidence I’m confident we’ll see performances like that more regularly.

He has shown me what I wanted to see. A game in which he looked like he could absolutely dominate.

Now we just need to make sure he can hit his strides and be in peak form in 2024 when we need him most.

Who goes to him? Lever?

Presume May gets Tex?
Lever, Petty and May over the course of the game most likely, but I suspect MFC will try and keep Lever free. May will stay deeper right? So Tex and Fog will both line up against him at times (as they seem to be rotating at a fairly high click between FF and CHF).

The really interesting thing is what we do to combat Lever drifting across the packs.

Read back the threads, read back the pathetic commentaries. If people are going to offer that sort of bilge: I remember Jeffy getting particularly excited at the idea of Fogarty getting rub downs in the old collegiates in a years time for example, then they can damn well cop it when reality demonstrates just how clueless they are.

I don't remember you interrupting them to preach good manners at the time of course- it's only now in the medicine taking phase you've suddenly discovered your love of etiquette?
Maybe he can’t but I’ve been criticising most on this board for writing players off way too soon a la Nathan Bock et al so I gave no problem calling the naysayers out when they inevitably jump the gun.

Why do you talk so disrespectfully about your betters? Which frankly is not a small number of people nor is it by a small margin
Pot, kettle, black.

You’re just as insulting to anyone who dares to have a contrary opinion.

Maybe he can’t but I’ve been criticising most on this board for writing players off way too soon a la Nathan Bock et al so I gave no problem calling the naysayers out when they inevitably jump the gun.
Curious if you think this applies to other young whipping boys for this board, like Ned, Jones, Sholl, McAsey?

Not saying that they’ll all (or even any of them) end up super players, by any means, in fact I think it’s very unlikely. Just that in my view, no players that are in their 3rd or 4th year on a list (or more) are beyond criticism

Back