Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain where this obsession with turning Fogarty into a midfielder has come from?

You've got a guy who's primary weapons are a big body, good leading patterns and a great kick for goal. Why would you take him away from goals?
I thought early on it may happen. But seeing a bit more of him don't think it will.

However I hope he becomes the type of forward who can get his own ball and get around 15plus possies a game with his two or so goals and not just be like Jack Watts who get as many kicks as goals per game.

Once Tex learnt how to do that he became a much better forward.

Gov is getting there now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have shied away from BF since the weekend, especially the GBU thread, but feel compelled to post something positive here. It would be easy to criticise Fogarty if one looked only at the statistics, but they show nothing. I was really impressed by his game. The thing that stands out to me is his effort and efficiency. Every one of his involvements is a positive, with very few errors, and no laziness. (I'll let off that dropped mark, which could well have been paid.) His chasing, tackling, little taps, and score involvements are outstanding, notwithstanding the low official statistics. If he gets more ball, look out! ;) My only worry is that our injuries might lead to him getting injured/exhausted due to too many games this year: we don't want to wear out that cartilage.

I'm not pigeon-holing Fog in any role as early days.

Just happy to sit back & watch as looks like he is a special talent with a great footy brain.
I just hope he doesn’t develop like Stringer. Great talent, all the skills, body and pace to be a star in the midfield or forward line but is stuck in no mans land in that he doesn’t get enough of the ball to be a mid or enough goals/marks to truly be a star forward.

I just hope he doesn’t develop like Stringer. Great talent, all the skills, body and pace to be a star in the midfield or forward line but is stuck in no mans land in that he doesn’t get enough of the ball to be a mid or enough goals/marks to truly be a star forward.
Stringer's issue is mental not physical & Fog isn't a flog. ;)

Can someone explain where this obsession with turning Fogarty into a midfielder has come from?

You've got a guy who's primary weapons are a big body, good leading patterns and a great kick for goal. Why would you take him away from goals?

I don't advocate actually playing him as a midfielder, but I do think he's the right kind of player to throw into the centre square for the bounce every now and again, then push forward after that.

Yes, he's got a big body, good leading patterns and is a great kick for goal. But (and this applies to any forward) all of that is worthless if we're getting smashed in the centre clearances and the ball is repeatedly coming out of there in the other direction while our forwards just get cold and lonely. He's a big, solid unit, good attack on the contest, good skills, good composure under pressure, so absolutely get him in there from time to time if it's not going our way.

I don’t think we should be pigeon holing Fog just yet as anything, but I will say that gun key forwards are much harder to come by than gun midfielders. My prediction is Fog will probably take over from Walker as our #1 CHF once he gets his engine up to run all day. He’s also a far more natural contested player than Tex which will help him in those tight games. I think he may end up running through the midfield at times, but I think with M. Crouch, Greenwood +/- CEY all still with 5+ years left inthem, I don’t think there’s any great urgency to push Fog in the midfield.

The way I understand it is FOG isn't a pig of a human. Stringer on the other hand!

I don’t think we should be pigeon holing Fog just yet as anything, but I will say that gun key forwards are much harder to come by than gun midfielders. My prediction is Fog will probably take over from Walker as our #1 CHF once he gets his engine up to run all day. He’s also a far more natural contested player than Tex which will help him in those tight games. I think he may end up running through the midfield at times, but I think with M. Crouch, Greenwood +/- CEY all still with 5+ years left inthem, I don’t think there’s any great urgency to push Fog in the midfield.
I'm strongly leaning towards him as a full time CHF. I mean am I mad or does he just seem to have a real Wayne Carey-ish presence about him? More then any other rookie I can remember. Granted I never saw Carey play as an 18 year old, but to me they already share similar body type's, posture, and kicking style, not to mention their aggression and self confidence seem to align quite naturally as well. I don't think FOG's as fluid a mover as Carey was, but he has time on his hands, with added fitness that might open up for him.

Bottom line for me though is if you have an 18 year old kid who plays CHF with Wayne Carey like attributes. Then you play that kid at CHF and hope to hell those attributes are the ones that develop!

Just my opinion, but Tex had a far far better start to his career than Fog.

Whether or not that translates who knows, but it shows you just how good a kid he was.

Whether or not that translates who knows, but it shows you just how good a kid he was.

Did Tex play AFL at the same age though? Its too early to tell anyway. At this stage Fog could still completely bomb, or he could still be the best player in the competition. He has only shown glimpses of potential (bloody good glimpses). Its a long way to go before we see what level he ends up at. We can look at Tex in hindsight too. If Tex didnt have those ACLs, I just wonder what level of player he would have been. That seems to have had a huge impact on Tex as a player and yet he is still an absolute gun.

A bit like Jack Riewoldt.
Generally a forward but can start in the middle at times as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Did Tex play AFL at the same age though? Its too early to tell anyway. At this stage Fog could still completely bomb, or he could still be the best player in the competition. He has only shown glimpses of potential (bloody good glimpses). Its a long way to go before we see what level he ends up at. We can look at Tex in hindsight too. If Tex didnt have those ACLs, I just wonder what level of player he would have been. That seems to have had a huge impact on Tex as a player and yet he is still an absolute gun.
Tex was 18 in his debut vs Collingwood back in '07 iirc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stringer has had a decent few weeks, but yeah see your point there.

Yeah I got that wrong but he was still 18. His bday is Anzac day. Turned 19 3 weeks later.

Yeah, my comment was a reply to a post saying Tex was ahead of Fog at the same stage. But Tex hadnt played at the same stage yet. So Fog still has another year before we can start to make that comparison.

Helped that he had an entire year on our list prior to debut. Thats an entire year training with the squad/gameplans, playing regular SANFL and an extra preseason. Get another preseason into Fog and he’ll step it up again.

Helped that he had an entire year on our list prior to debut. Thats an entire year training with the squad/gameplans, playing regular SANFL and an extra preseason. Get another preseason into Fog and he’ll step it up again.
different type of players also. Tex was skinny when he started. Fog is an animal.

I agree with you but, ACLs? Plural? He’s had just the one, right? Or did he have one as a junior?

Back