Player Watch Darcy Fogarty

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s not going to be a midfielder

Can someone explain where this obsession with turning Fogarty into a midfielder has come from?

You've got a guy who's primary weapons are a big body, good leading patterns and a great kick for goal. Why would you take him away from goals?

Can someone explain where this obsession with turning Fogarty into a midfielder has come from?

You've got a guy who's primary weapons are a big body, good leading patterns and a great kick for goal. Why would you take him away from goals?
There's 2 ways to look at it, how I see it:
1. Great attack on the man and footy, good kick on either foot and can whack the footy long distances. He's a natural forward, very similar to Tex being a natural forward. So we can leave him there and let him evolve like a Pokémon and see where his natural ability can take him at the forward line.

2. Due to him having such immense talent and can kick either foot, and kicking long, he would be handy wherever he plays on the field. His natural attack on the ball/man, makes him a similar comparison to a player like Roo and Dangerfield. So a sensible thought would be to have him build his tank, and try him in different places on the field, and see what kind of weapons he can build in different parts of the ground. He has already been tried by Pyke in the defense, and he doesn't look out of place there, taking some decent marks. Where he can hurt the most would be in the midfield a la Roo/Dangerfield, and getting a stack of possessions, whilst kicking some handy long goals.

I'm happy with either option. As long as he keeps giving out bruises!

It comes from looking at what Fyfe, Dangerfield, Bontempelli, and Martin can do when put forward, and hoping that the reverse is possible.

If Brodie Smith and Rory Laird can't make it into our midfield, why do we expect Fogarty to.

Pavlich occasionally started in the square when Freo was struggling, then went straight to the forward line. I think that's the only midfield time the Fog will see.

It comes from looking at what Fyfe, Dangerfield, Bontempelli, and Martin can do when put forward, and hoping that the reverse is possible.
At the same time, all of Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin started their careers as forwards. It isnt exactly hoping for "the reverse" from Fog.

I believe Fogarty has the ability to roll through the midfield, but he is a forward first and foremost.

Being able to roll a forward through the centre stoppage as a starting mid is a god-send. As we all know, it is easy for forwards to drop out of the game, and sending them either off the back of the square (Betts, Gallucci, Murphy) or into the starting bounce mids (Douglas*, potentially Fogarty) re-involves them in the play and can kick start their involvement in a game.

Very handy attribute in a forward.

*Douglas often playing forward but being quite a competent mid

He’s going to be our leading key forward of the future. Nothing wrong with that, he has natural forward talent. Great leading patterns and skills, and a beautiful set shot

Draft midfielders this year

At the same time, all of Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin started their careers as forwards. It isnt exactly hoping for "the reverse" from Fog.

I believe Fogarty has the ability to roll through the midfield, but he is a forward first and foremost.

Being able to roll a forward through the centre stoppage as a starting mid is a god-send. As we all know, it is easy for forwards to drop out of the game, and sending them either off the back of the square (Betts, Gallucci, Murphy) or into the starting bounce mids (Douglas*, potentially Fogarty) re-involves them in the play and can kick start their involvement in a game.

Very handy attribute in a forward.

*Douglas often playing forward but being quite a competent mid
Yep, and even if we miss out on Hately there's still some very decent midfield prospects available at our current picks, any picks we get from trades would be a bonus.

It’s a modern trend of wanting to turn every player into a midfielder. It’s ridiculous.

I personally think he’s more suited to the half back, small forward lockdown role. A sterling replacement for Luke Brown.

It’s a modern trend of wanting to turn every player into a midfielder. It’s ridiculous.

I personally think he’s more suited to the half back, small forward lockdown role. A sterling replacement for Luke Brown.
What about the ruck? What he might lack for hit-outs, he might do more bruises to opposition ruckmen than Sauce would!

If Brodie Smith and Rory Laird can't make it into our midfield, why do we expect Fogarty to.

Pavlich occasionally started in the square when Freo was struggling, then went straight to the forward line. I think that's the only midfield time the Fog will see.

We should never ever be expecting Rory Laird to move into the midfield, as he doesn't have the contested game (it's competent for a small defender), nor the pace to really make the switch effectively. He is, and really only can be, a small defender.

Rory has been in the middle on a number of occasions this year, as in centre bounces after goals scored. Has even has recorded 2 centre clearances

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should never ever be expecting Rory Laird to move into the midfield, as he doesn't have the contested game (it's competent for a small defender), nor the pace to really make the switch effectively. He is, and really only can be, a small defender.
16 clearances this year. 2 centre clearances

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 7.22.00 pm.png

16 clearances this year. 2 centre clearances

View attachment 508049

Not saying a great deal there. For reference a couple of players who do play a similar role (outside mid/half back), Rory Atkins is on 14 clearances (2 centre clearances), Paul Seedsman is on 27 clearances (7 centre clearances). He does comfortably beat out Mackay (and Milera) though.

He's a tough nut, but when you are as small as he is, you want to be damn near exceptional as a contested player to be considered for a midfield role (I should mention, I rate height/size very highly when it comes to the midfield).

Not saying a great deal there. For reference a couple of players who do play a similar role (outside mid/half back), Rory Atkins is on 14 clearances (2 centre clearances), Paul Seedsman is on 27 clearances (7 centre clearances). He does comfortably beat out Mackay (and Milera) though.

He's a tough nut, but when you are as small as he is, you want to be damn near exceptional as a contested player to be considered for a midfield role (I should mention, I rate height/size very highly when it comes to the midfield).
He's already been playing in the midfield. I have no expectation that will be his primary role. Be interesting to know how many posters here hadn't noticed that he's been starting in the middle on occasion

I'm not pigeon-holing Fog in any role as early days.

Just happy to sit back & watch as looks like he is a special talent with a great footy brain.
Talking ‘bout that footy brain, those times on the weekend when he gathered the ball under pressure and instead of throwing it on the boot, waited, measured and found a target, were sublime. For an 18 year old, that bodes well. Dangerfield hasn’t even mastered that.

Not many arguing to make him *primarily* a midfielder.

Lots who would like him to go into the middle on occasion while still being primarily a forward.

Why?
- gets him involved in the game if he has been quiet up forward
- gives us a different look in the middle
- makes him harder to match up on if he can float between the two positions
- more options

Jesse Hogan is going at just under 1 clearance per game this year. Lots of precedent for forwards who can impact the midfield on occasion. Will Fogarty be one of them? Perhaps.

Who said they don’t want him kicking goals. I think he will be a CHF too, but he is not in any one box just yet. He could be anything.

Look at what we've already seen of his contested ball winning ability, his evasion skills, composure with ball in hand, his decision making and presence and strength around the ball. Has everything required to be a gun mid. It's clear plenty have been seduced by his ability to clunk a mark and dob a goal from outside 50, and it's not hard to understand why, it's elite for an 18 year old. But it shouldn't pigeonhole him as a key forward just yet when he could potentially offer more. Do people see him as Tex's replacement, that's why they assume he needs to be developed as a key forward ?? Or that it's easier to find mids than key forwards ?? You can see that Fog grew up as one of the best mids going around in the junior leagues. If his development had to take one of two paths, would you rather the next generation Fyfe/Dusty/Danger in the midfield at the Crows, or a Tex clone playing forward. He is capable of stuff that Tex, Gov etc were never able to do which is why they developed solely as forwards. It could go either way in my opinion, will come down to what the coaches think is best for his development and what's best for the side.

Not many arguing to make him *primarily* a midfielder.

Lots who would like him to go into the middle on occasion while still being primarily a forward.

Why?
- gets him involved in the game if he has been quiet up forward
- gives us a different look in the middle
- makes him harder to match up on if he can float between the two positions
- more options

Jesse Hogan is going at just under 1 clearance per game this year. Lots of precedent for forwards who can impact the midfield on occasion. Will Fogarty be one of them? Perhaps.

Exactly the guy I was thinking about.
Hogan does it now, takes centre square ball-ups and actually looks good in there.

Back