Club History David "Swan" McKay elevated to Carlton Legend status

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a picture on page 77 of today’s Sunday Herald-Sun in Jon Anderson’s column which purports to be David McKay taking a mark over Ray Card in the 1978 Elimination Final - it looks more like Jezza than David McKay to me - anyone else have an opinion on it.

:think:

There is a picture on page 77 of today’s Sunday Herald-Sun in Jon Anderson’s column which purports to be David McKay taking a mark over Ray Card in the 1978 Elimination Final - it looks more like Jezza than David McKay to me - anyone else have an opinion on it.

:think:
Yeah I reckon it was Jezza
Youtube the highlights
Definitely not McKay

no question - buzz took a few rippers over 2 or 3 years - swan took them every game for a dozen or so...............

Also no question that David McKay is criminally underrated in the general football world - 4 Premierships, 250+ games.

Deserves to be considered alongside Peter Knights as one of the greatest marks of the 1970’s.

:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those with Kayo: https://kayosports.com.au/shows/show-open-mike!2971/season-2019!15931

An interesting tidbit in there about him playing on in the GF against Richmond with a broken jaw. Courtesy of Balme, I think.

Sorry, that's the whole season of Open Mike, you'll need to scroll across to the David McKay episode.

A terrific watch, thanks for pointing that one out! Can't believe I hadn't seen it.

I must admit he is a bit of an unknown to me given the era difference, but he comes across as a learned, considered and humble champion. Looks to have given plenty to our great club over the journey. I'm sure my grandma would have been a big fan and I will ask Johnno next time I have a chat about what Swan was like :thumbsu:

A terrific watch, thanks for pointing that one out! Can't believe I hadn't seen it.

I must admit he is a bit of an unknown to me given the era difference, but he comes across as a learned, considered and humble champion. Looks to have given plenty to our great club over the journey. I'm sure my grandma would have been a big fan and I will ask Johnno next time I have a chat about what Swan was like :thumbsu:
You're welcome. Yeah, talk to anyone who watched the blues during the seventies and there's enormous respect for Swan. He was a class act, no doubt about it.

You're welcome. Yeah, talk to anyone who watched the blues during the seventies and there's enormous respect for Swan. He was a class act, no doubt about it.
I have watched the Open Mike series, or listened, a few times and this is one of my favourites.

The last Carlton star to be genuinely good on tv/radio?

Too young to see him play but remember many drives to see the Blues play with him on the radio growing up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back