Dayle Garlett?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2010
Rawai 83130
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Demons)
Reading on AFL.com he's tearing it up on a regular basis for the Swans.
Is he still acting the knob outside footy or has he pulled his head in?
Will probably get snaveled next draft, whats the general opinion, off to the east, picked up by us or the w***ers down the rd?

He would help us attract new and youthful sponsors.

w0nnky.png

Everyone knows he's a good player.

It's whether or not he's less of a prick than he was previously. We really can't afford to draft any more guys that are going to get in trouble. We're the young likeable eagles these days.

There has been talk at WCE they may draft him and work on him and Newman together, since they are such great friends.
Woosha is a big supporter of Newman, and is very happy with how hard he is working on his rehab at the moment.
Dayle has cut down his social group this year but still has a way to go.
We will see.

There has been talk at WCE they may draft him and work on him and Newman together, since they are such great friends.
Woosha is a big supporter of Newman, and is very happy with how hard he is working on his rehab at the moment.
We will see.

I honestly think that this would have been one of the best things for him, get the two of them a strong support network and support them. He went off the rails when he wasn't picked up. Disappointing because him and Newman are exactly what we are missing at the moment. I'd love both of them in the team right now.

We will see.

Surely the reality is though that he's a first round pick if he's worth drafting at all though? That's a fair risk in anyones language.

Surely the reality is though that he's a first round pick if he's worth drafting at all though? That's a fair risk in anyones language.
Could have been a rookie pick last year...

I really hope we draft him. It would restore my faith in the club if they took it upon themselves to work with Dayle and Murray and help them become responsible adults.

Please - we need these types of players in our side to become a threat

Could have been a rookie pick last year...

I really hope we draft him. It would restore my faith in the club if they took it upon themselves to work with Dayle and Murray and help them become responsible adults.

Please - we need these types of players in our side to become a threat

But that's my point, his natural ability is not in question. If he has his head screwed on enough to warrant drafting, he'll go first round.

Last year after training with the Bombers in the hope of getting a rookied, he went back to Perth and went out the first night back.... he then came back to Swans pre season in similar shape to Newman.

I honestly think that this would have been one of the best things for him, get the two of them a strong support network and support them. He went off the rails when he wasn't picked up. Disappointing because him and Newman are exactly what we are missing at the moment. I'd love both of them in the team right now.

Pretty sure two guys who are disruptive, don't follow rules, act childish and spoilt is not what we are missing.

Also someone implied they have no faith in the club to fix these guys. Clubs are workplaces. Whilst clubs try to support as much as they can its not their responsibility to turn them into model citizens. Their parents failed to do this. We have seen that most of the time, troubled players stay troubled. some people turn their life around but sometimes people expect too much.

Not convinced we will draft him. They can feel whatever they like in terms of ability to change him but in the end, we will be conservative. We are WCE, we are more conservative than the Amish.

But that's my point, his natural ability is not in question. If he has his head screwed on enough to warrant drafting, he'll go first round.

Last year after training with the Bombers in the hope of getting a rookied, he went back to Perth and went out the first night back.... he then came back to Swans pre season in similar shape to Newman.
I guess it comes down to a club banking on their ability to provide the right kind of environment to let the players develop off-field.

Also someone implied they have no faith in the club to fix these guys. Clubs are workplaces. Whilst clubs try to support as much as they can its not their responsibility to turn them into model citizens.
It's not their responsibility, but they certainly put a lot of work into it already. They are dealing with a bunch of kids, and they do things like the Cambodia trip and Aboriginal community visits (partially for marketing purposes) as a way of showing the kids what else is happening in the world etc.

They aren't creches, but they certainly put money and effort into the pastoral care aspect of things. The club will obviously weigh up the expenses and risks of drafting Dayle, and I'm sure they'll only do so if the price is right.

Why not get Dayle , the club appears to be recruiting some solid indigenous role models to be able to help Dayle and if WCE surround him with professional footballers who can identify with Dayle and maybe show him the way to have a successful career as a sportsman ..

Why not get Dayle , the club appears to be recruiting some solid indigenous role models to be able to help Dayle and if WCE surround him with professional footballers who can identify with Dayle and maybe show him the way to have a successful career as a sportsman ..

This conversation feels like so 2012. We all said these things last year but in the end he went undrafted. Its not his play on the field that will dictate whether he will get drafted. As such, we are kind of wasting our time talking about it.

This conversation feels like so 2012. We all said these things last year but in the end he went undrafted. Its not his play on the field that will dictate whether he will get drafted. As such, we are kind of wasting our time talking about it.

agree its a bit early to be talking about it and no doubt the conversation at the end of season will involve speculation on Dayle .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will see.

What i don't get is why aren't teams playing the percentages.

You pick up a rookie - he's what a 10-20% chance of making it on talent if he commits? Maybe that is being generous. And what a 2-5% chance of being a star.

Why not take a punt on Garlett - assuming the talent is fine - surely we have to be a better than a 15% chance of turning his social life around???

When you consider we have rookied JON, Bennell, Strijk et al - surely he can't be a worse result than them?

Why do they have to be indigenous?

without getting drawn too far back in to this side of the discussion, you have to appreciate that clubs aren't only businesses and sports teams, they are also brands and part of a larger brand.

forget about the risk that he doesn't become a star... there is the much more realistic risk of him going off the deep end or getting back into his old habits and bringing a whole lot of negative press with him to the club. we've just spent 5 years trying to undo the cousins mess and lose the 'drugtaker' tag... why would we just give the keys of the house to someone who is gonna crap all over our new furniture while we're down at the shops?

without getting drawn too far back in to this side of the discussion, you have to appreciate that clubs aren't only businesses and sports teams, they are also brands and part of a larger brand.

forget about the risk that he doesn't become a star... there is the much more realistic risk of him going off the deep end or getting back into his old habits and bringing a whole lot of negative press with him to the club. we've just spent 5 years trying to undo the cousins mess and lose the 'drugtaker' tag... why would we just give the keys of the house to someone who is gonna crap all over our new furniture while we're down at the shops?

How much shit do Richmond cop for Ben Cousins being off the rails?

Very bloody little. They got lauded for their efforts.

If we recruited Dayle and he went off the tracks - it doesn't reflect on our club as everyone knows he has issues. It'll baiscally be a situation of "well he just couldn't turn his life around"

That is a far cry from the persona of a good young lad from a respectable footballing family who becomes a rampant drug addict whilst at a club.

What i don't get is why aren't teams playing the percentages.

You pick up a rookie - he's what a 10-20% chance of making it on talent if he commits? Maybe that is being generous. And what a 2-5% chance of being a star.

Why not take a punt on Garlett - assuming the talent is fine - surely we have to be a better than a 15% chance of turning his social life around???

When you consider we have rookied JON, Bennell, Strijk et al - surely he can't be a worse result than them?

I dont get it myself.
The club thinks Newman has finally had a penny drop with his knee injury, i think he's just realised how
quickly his career could go past the wayside.
He is really working hard on his rehab, and is one of the first at the club in the mornings, showing a change in his thinking.

perhaps. i think you're being generous to the media and football following public at large.
(i'd imagine a response more along the lines of "what the hell were they thinking?!")

Yeah right. We own the media in this state. A few pictures with a girl in a tent here, a bump to the head while out "getting pissed" there, bam rookie pick #99.

Fair point, heck maybe I'll make a sextape with him.

I think it's a hard question to answer given a lot of us don't know how deep his issues are. It absolutely has to extend further than smoking and alcohol, as 90% of kids, particularly country kids, are pretty bad for this.

Having said that I wouldn't be fussed if we picked him up, but I doubt we'll have the option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back