Review Dayle Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

What a waste of a pick. A kid somewhere has missed out on senior selection due to this. You only have to look through Garlett's Facebook page to gain an understanding of the fellow.

This is pretty unfair

As someone pointed out earlier - Nick Joyce was a waste of a pick - Lawrence Angwin was - Matthew Smith (5 years!) was a waste

Over half of each year's draft picks end up being 'wasted' in that sense.
No kid missed out on senior selection because of Garlett - If they were good enough they would have been picked - At the same time, they've got plenty of more opportunities to prove themselves.

I'm also pretty impressed of your ability to get an understanding of someone through their online social profile... amazing stuff

This is pretty unfair

As someone pointed out earlier - Nick Joyce was a waste of a pick - Lawrence Angwin was - Matthew Smith (5 years!) was a waste

Over half of each year's draft picks end up being 'wasted' in that sense.
No kid missed out on senior selection because of Garlett - If they were good enough they would have been picked - At the same time, they've got plenty of more opportunities to prove themselves.

I'm also pretty impressed of your ability to get an understanding of someone through their online social profile... amazing stuff

At least the people you mentioned gave AFL a decent shot. And before you jump the gun, I'm sure if you read some of the stuff and saw the pictures on his Facebook page, you would probably have a similar opinion. Conveniently for him, his profile can no longer be found, so I can't provide a link.

EDIT: found his profile, but the security settings are much better than my last visit.

Last edited:

Far far too early for an 'i told you so post'. He was only drafted less than 4 months ago.
Far too early for these comparisons. They guy has been on an AFL list for 6 months.

Oh really?
e2a3a5us.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

His issue wasn't homesickness, the issue was the same thing that stopped him getting drafted. He smokes durries, goes out on all night benders and turns up to training late, if at all.

You can be talented all you like but if you are not committed to the team, then you get told to **** off.

Fair enough. I havent paid any great attention to him since our Club didnt draft him.

I wonder if the Hawks sacked him but gave him the option to tell the media that he quits. :rolleyes:

Who knows, who cares. He will be yesterdays news after the media dissect him for the next week.

If they sacked him wouldn't they have to pay out his contract. Mind you I suspect that Hawthorn have plenty of money.

Dodged a bullet here. Wasted talent ala Angwin and I do feel sorry for him slightly. He wanted to play footy but a leopard doesnt change his spots.

I had been quite adamant in exchanges with Vader and Mattrox that he would have been worth a shot for us back when the cost was only a rookie pick. Even though it doesn't seem like he has wrecked the joint at Hawthorn on his way through I have to put my hand up and say I thought he'd give it a better crack. I wuz wrong!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what a bizzare comment.

My argument AT THE time was having him was going to be destabilising and a waste (of a rookie pick). Had we not had sanctions or were in the middle of a s**t storm I wouldn't have been so adamant about it.

He was never worth the risk of wasting a pick in the main draft.

Clearly I'm talking about things without the benefit of hindsight.

My argument AT THE time was having him was going to be destabilising and a waste (of a rookie pick). Had we not had sanctions or were in the middle of a s**t storm I wouldn't have been so adamant about it.

He was never worth the risk of wasting a pick in the main draft.

Clearly I'm talking about things without the benefit of hindsight.

but for all the people that were pro-Garlett there were double that against.

with or without draft sanctions, the Crows made the right call, there was never a need to get him
especially with Betts not in the team and players like Cameron picked up.

The recent events are what was pretty much forecast by most people who talked about him

And accurate.

Not exactly. The problem was that we chose to retain him on the list the second time, not that we "wasted" a pick on him.

The pick itself was just a mechanism to abide by our agreement to keep him after we ****ed up the Tippett situation. By the time the draft came along we'd already decided to keep him, and without the Tippett situation, we wouldn't have had a draft pick to "waste".

It's like claiming we wasted three draft picks because we kept Jacky on the list for three years.

Not exactly. The problem was that we chose to retain him on the list the second time, not that we "wasted" a pick on him.

The pick itself was just a mechanism to abide by our agreement to keep him after we ****** up the Tippett situation. By the time the draft came along we'd already decided to keep him, and without the Tippett situation, we wouldn't have had a draft pick to "waste".

It's like claiming we wasted three draft picks because we kept Jacky on the list for three years.

Also accurate. :p

but for all the people that were pro-Garlett there were double that against.

with or without draft sanctions, the Crows made the right call, there was never a need to get him
especially with Betts not in the team and players like Cameron picked up.

The recent events are what was pretty much forecast by most people who talked about him

I wouldn't be surprised to see him play AFL in the future. Sounds like he is a little immature and cant handle the demands of AFL at the moment. It also sounds like location is going to be an issue. But the guy has the skills necessary make a success of AFL and as he gets a little older and more mature if Freo or the Eagles pick him I reckon he could still make it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him play AFL in the future. Sounds like he is a little immature and cant handle the demands of AFL at the moment. It also sounds like location is going to be an issue. But the guy has the skills necessary make a success of AFL and as he gets a little older and more mature if Freo or the Eagles pick him I reckon he could still make it.

Hawks had the luxury of taking a gamble on Garlett at relatively little risk with a late 2nd (almost 3rd) rounder, but I think it would be a brave team to take a punt on Garlett after this episode.

If it is genuinely homesickness (poor excuse anyway) then the WA sides might take a punt but given his history theres gotta be more to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back