Daylesford Crash Royal Hotel Beer Garden.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's giving me Douglas Crabbe vibes. He ran his truck through the Inland Hotel at Yulara, NT in '83 and killed 5 people. He was refused service for being drunk, got in a fight and was thrown out of the pub. He then unhooked 2 trailers off his truck and drive the prime mover with one remaining trailer attached through the pub.

Short of a medical emergency being suffered by the driver in this instance, I find it hard to believe a vehicle could be driven accidentally into a beer garden to the extent that it would inflict deaths and injuries like is being reported.

Ok, I could have potentially jumped the gun here, reports there may have been a bingle at the nearby roundabout and one of the vehicles involved has then careened into the pub.
i live in the area and there's not really any way i could see that being possible.

to me it must be deliberate.

i live in the area and there's not really any way i could see that being possible.

Tend to agree, for a car to end up in one of the hotels from an accident a lot of speed must have been involved. Even traffic coming in and out on the midland highway slows right down at that roundabout. Cannot understand how that would happen in normal circumstances, accident or not.

Have heard elsewhere the car was appearantly heading down the Albert St(side st) hill at serious speed. Then crashed into the beer garden, which is very open to the road on all sides.
Patrons would've had no chance to get out of the way sadly

I haven't been through Daylesford for years, I remember there being a big roundabout somewhere there but thought even if that was the case they must've been travelling at some serious speed.

I haven't been through Daylesford for years, I remember there being a big roundabout somewhere there but thought even if that was the case they must've been travelling at some serious speed.
yeah, it's just not possible to have the speed high enough in that area - unless you're either trying to, or something like a heart attack has happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a white BMW. There's speculation the crash may have been due to a medical episode but nobody really knows.
8642a138d8bd3a0739bfa3f8d416729a

Looks like an X5 to me - a 2-2.5 tonne vehicle which at speed and out of control would have been a lethal weapon.

Edit: Reports the driver remained in the car motionless for up to 10 minutes after the incident so maybe reports of medical incident are correct.

Last edited:
Have heard elsewhere the car was appearantly heading down the Albert St(side st) hill at serious speed. Then crashed into the beer garden, which is very open to the road on all sides.
Patrons would've had no chance to get out of the way sadly
The photos of the car are in front of the wine cellar that used to be the IGA, so yes it does look like it's come from Albert St at speed to end up there.

Was in Daylesford only a month ago and went down the street that it is alleged the driver would have entered the beer garden from.

It’s not a long street but the beer garden is wide open to the road so it could only really be a medical episode or intentional. Really sad either way.

Terrible.
Tragic for all involved, I feel for all the responders and people there.
FYI the reports all talk about it happening in the beer garden but it seems to be the dining area at the front of the hotel facing the street.
It looks highly unlikely to have been a deliberate act.
It is a 40km speed limit in this part of town.
I also feel for the townspeople which relies heavily on tourism in order to survive and this is the start of the main season for the town.

Last edited:
DM have described the driver as “an elderly 66 year old man”.

I probably shouldn’t get hung up on this detail but I don’t believe a 66 year old is “elderly”.

85 plus is elderly.

Regardless, it’s an incredibly sad and awful situation. I really feel for all the people involved.

Drive through that intersection fortnightly and could see that accident happening easily.
If this is true then surprised the local council did not require energy absorbing bollards be installed around the outside dining area as is required in many high traffic outdoor dining areas elsewhere?

DM have described the driver as “an elderly 66 year old man”.

I probably shouldn’t get hung up on this detail but I don’t believe a 66 year old is “elderly”.

85 plus is elderly.

Regardless, it’s an incredibly sad and awful situation. I really feel for all the people involved.
i'd say over 65 is elderly. most people dont even live to be 85...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back