Current Driver charged after wedding bus crash kills 10 people - NSW

Remove this Banner Ad

Granted bail.
I’d think there’d be some risk of public retribution for a campaigner like that.
Or he could top himself as well.

Here's some more on Button and his bail conditions.

'“He’s a good family man,” one neighbour said. “They’re a pretty tight-knit family. They’ve got their family support and if they ask for something I can do I’ll probably say yes.”
'Under his bail conditions, Button must report to police three times a week, surrender his passport, not go within five kilometres of any point of international departure, and remain at home between 8pm and 6am unless he is in the company of a relative.

He has also offered a $10,000 surety, must not contact any prosecution witness, must not take any drugs or alcohol, and must not occupy the driver’s seat of a motor vehicle. The court heard police have already suspended his licence after the crash.

Button will face court again in Newcastle on August 9.'

His own mental health had suffered. You don’t say, well what about the victims families. No sympathy for the driver here.

Does the below make you feel any better?

'Inside Hunter Valley bus driver’s emotional night in jail

June 13, 2023 - 7:10PM

A highly-emotional wedding bus driver Brett Button spent his night in police custody sobbing in a cell and repeatedly saying “I’m sorry, I’m sorry”.
The father-of-four and former school bus driver who was charged over the deaths of 10 people in a catastrophic crash north of Newcastle was seen sitting in a holding cell at Cessnock police station “curled up” after he was refused bail.

A police source told The Daily Telegraph Button, 58, “was telling anyone who’d listen” of his remorse.

He basically sat there for most of the night, curled up … just saying over and over “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” the police source said.
...'

Does the below make you feel any better?

'Inside Hunter Valley bus driver’s emotional night in jail

June 13, 2023 - 7:10PM

A highly-emotional wedding bus driver Brett Button spent his night in police custody sobbing in a cell and repeatedly saying “I’m sorry, I’m sorry”.
The father-of-four and former school bus driver who was charged over the deaths of 10 people in a catastrophic crash north of Newcastle was seen sitting in a holding cell at Cessnock police station “curled up” after he was refused bail.

A police source told The Daily Telegraph Button, 58, “was telling anyone who’d listen” of his remorse.

He basically sat there for most of the night, curled up … just saying over and over “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” the police source said.
...'
If it was an accident without any wrongdoing then of course I would. It’s horrible. But if a post on the previous page was anything to go by, people on the bus said he was boasting about how fast he would go. Meaning he was driving recklessly, was taking undue risks, was putting peoples lives at risk. It was his sheer stupidity and bigheadedness that got these people killed. Finding it hard to find sympathy.

He wasn't intoxicated but was apparently driving like he was in Forza and apparently right before he crashed he said "you think that was fast, check this out", and proceeded to overturn the bus as he rounded the corner.

Looking at.that properly, it looks like it's possibly slid along the road and into the metal barrier rather than tipping over straight on top of it.

He's paid to be a professional driver, he's gonna be in a world of hurt,.complete cleanskin but seriously should get some substantial jail time.
Nothing professional about this clown, a disgrace to the industry.

Unfortunately, he is indicative of where the industry is at right now.
Many experienced drivers either retired or left the industry during covid, Covid killed the industry overnight.
Now that everything has opened up again there's a serious shortfall of professional drivers, so we are seeing many new drivers who in some cases have never driven a heavy vehicle before, or certainly not a Coach.
Weekday professionals have been smashed with work in the past 12 months, tourism, big ticket events and private charter never mind the bread-and-butter school charter work, has kept us doing anywhere up to 50hr weeks. When the weekends come around only a few want to deal with party goers and so the shortfall is often filled with new or part time drivers.

This cowboy has just put the spotlight on all of us, not just from the relevant authority but from the public.
I honestly felt dirty out there today, never had so many people staring, be it motorists or pedestrians. Other drivers reported the same.

Seems like the driver grossly overrated his driving abilities. I would have thought if he's a professional driver he would have had training on the type of stuff he shouldn't be doing when carrying passengers. I guess he will cop a manslaughter guilty verdict and get 5 years

Seems like the driver grossly overrated his driving abilities. I would have thought if he's a professional driver he would have had training on the type of stuff he shouldn't be doing when carrying passengers. I guess he will cop a manslaughter guilty verdict and get 5 years
You ever see a coach with an 'L' plate on the back?
The industry is so short on drivers a HR license and passenger accreditation, which consists of a police check, working with kids check and a medical, is about the extent of 'training' new drivers get unless your doing tour work.
Even sitting a HR licence is only partially relevant as its done in a truck with a much different centre of gravity to a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sentence NSW for crime dangerous driving causing death is a maximum of 10 years. If there are aggravated circumstances such as him saying ......'if you think that's fast watch this' and him having higher responsibility as coach driver yet met with clear negligent disregard the sentence can extend to 14 years. His contrition may help. Im thinking probably 12 years.

The sentence NSW for crime dangerous driving causing death is a maximum of 10 years. If there are aggravated circumstances such as him saying ......'if you think that's fast watch this' and him having higher responsibility as coach driver yet met with clear negligent disregard the sentence can extend to 14 years. His contrition may help. Im thinking probably 12 years.
Shouldn’t you get that per person?

He wasn't intoxicated but was apparently driving like he was in Forza and apparently right before he crashed he said "you think that was fast, check this out", and proceeded to overturn the bus as he rounded the corner.
Driving in foggy conditions with a bus ful of passengers is hardly the time to drive fast...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back