Dayne Beams

Remove this Banner Ad

I would keep my pick if it was 10 or under, but 50/50 on 11-13, 14 and beyond I would take Beams, and I would say Collingwood fans would say simular about Zaharakis. Even though as a supporter you always believe a player is worth more than they actually are.

I would keep my pick if it was 10 or under, but 50/50 on 11-13, 14 and beyond I would take Beams, and I would say Collingwood fans would say simular about Zaharakis. Even though as a supporter you always believe a player is worth more than they actually are.

In a compromised draft, I'd be falling over myself to trade pick 6-9 for Zaharakis. You're getting a guaranteed 200 games of a goal-kicking midfielder. It's a no-brainer.

In a compromised draft, I'd be falling over myself to trade pick 6-9 for Zaharakis. You're getting a guaranteed 200 games of a goal-kicking midfielder. It's a no-brainer.

in a compromised draft like last year pick#8 netted us Heppell who I would pick every time before Zaharakis.
But Beams and Zaka are improving their stocks every year which passes by, so maybe come the end of next season I too would rate them a top 10 pick.

in a compromised draft like last year pick#8 netted us Heppell who I would pick every time before Zaharakis.

I disagree re: Heppell, but anyways, how about Rhys Palmer, David Myers or Lachie Henderson? How about Mitch Thorpe? Or maybe Beau Dowler and Oakley-Nicholls take your fancy?

Point being, the choice isn't Zaha vs. someone like Heppell, it's Zaha vs. a chance at someone like Heppell. If your team's rebuilding and you really lack top-end talent (like, say, North) then it's probably wise to gamble with the draft. For good or above average teams, it's folly.

I disagree re: Heppell, but anyways, how about Rhys Palmer, David Myers or Lachie Henderson? How about Mitch Thorpe? Or maybe Beau Dowler and Oakley-Nicholls take your fancy?

Point being, the choice isn't Zaha vs. someone like Heppell, it's Zaha vs. a chance at someone like Heppell. If your team's rebuilding and you really lack top-end talent (like, say, North) then it's probably wise to gamble with the draft. For good or above average teams, it's folly.

From looking at what Essendon's Recruiters have done over the last 6 years we have

#7 Ryder
#6 Myers
#5 Hurley
#10 Melksham
#8 Heppell

so clearly Hurley and Heppell look A grade
Ryder is probably worth more than Zaharakis
Melksham is tracking along a simular path to what Zaka was maybe a lil bit behind.
Myers is the complete miss.

So I would still take keep a top 10 pick, just trust our recruiters will get the job done.

Not breakdown.

But you obviously know we rate Zac highly.... In fact I'd have Clarke over Clark and Beams. But I'm biased ;)

yeah mate, I understand...but does it concern you a little that Ross Lyon has gone out of his way to declare griffin as part of his Ruck plans,but has said WFA in regard to Z Clarke?

If I was a freo supporter I would want Z Clarke to stay, no doubt about it, but if you target quality you will lose some in the trade unless draft picks are used of coarse

The best option in my eyes is a 3 way involving M clark (freo), Z Clarke (Pies), and beams (Lions).

Cue Freo supporter breakdown!
Actually not a bad trade, could see it happening.

Fremantle the clear winners and perhaps Collingwood the losers. Z.Clarke although potential wise is a prospect, has surely got to be worth less than M.Clark. Severely overated from a few good games.

Perhaps a sawp of first rounders between Freo and Collingwood is rquired.

yeah mate, I understand...but does it concern you a little that Ross Lyon has gone out of his way to declare griffin as part of his Ruck plans,but has said WFA in regard to Z Clarke?

If I was a freo supporter I would want Z Clarke to stay, no doubt about it, but if you target quality you will lose some in the trade unless draft picks are used of coarse

Not concerned at all. If I was then I'd be worried we are going to trade Barlow and de Boer as well. He hasn't mentioned them when talking about his plans for our midfield..... hmmm...

Actually not a bad trade, could see it happening.

Fremantle the clear winners and perhaps Collingwood the losers. Z.Clarke although potential wise is a prospect, has surely got to be worth less than M.Clark. Severely overated from a few good games.

Perhaps a sawp of first rounders between Freo and Collingwood is rquired.

Eww... No. If you didn't notice he did manage to play pretty well on the wing. Sandi, Clark and Clarke can fit on the one team. Just means we can finally drop that idiot Johnson.

How about we just keep ourselves out of this and let Brisbane and Collingwood deal alone...

Eww... No. If you didn't notice he did manage to play pretty well on the wing. Sandi, Clark and Clarke can fit on the one team. Just means we can finally drop that idiot Johnson.

How about we just keep ourselves out of this and let Brisbane and Collingwood deal alone...

Would like to see you guys fit all in the one team, just can't see it happening. Z.Clarke isn't a viable long term option on the wing, particuarly when you guys have the likes of Hill, Morabito, Pitt, etc who fit the position perfectly.

Why pass up the opportunity of a three way ;). It seems that a straight swap between those 3 players would benefit all parties involved. The only losers would be Collingwood :thumbsu:, albeit slight losers.

Not concerned at all. If I was then I'd be worried we are going to trade Barlow and de Boer as well. He hasn't mentioned them when talking about his plans for our midfield..... hmmm...

yeah but both griffin and Z Clarke have been mentioned in trade talks...griffin was set to leave because Z Clarke is now ahead of him in the pecking order, but if he is getting talked around to staying I feel Z Clarke could be used as he has the trade currency ahead to griffin to get a deal done with no or minimal impact on losing draft picks.

Just how I see it potentially playing out :)

Would like to see you guys fit all in the one team, just can't see it happening. Z.Clarke isn't a viable long term option on the wing, particuarly when you guys have the likes of Hill, Morabito, Pitt, etc who fit the position perfectly.

Why pass up the opportunity of a three way ;). It seems that a straight swap between those 3 players would benefit all parties involved. The only losers would be Collingwood :thumbsu:, albeit slight losers.

I agree...I few years back the M Clark move to the wing was all the hype for lions supporters, but as he continued to grow and fill out in wasnt really that effective.

Too me griffin looks like that classic tap ruckman that Ross Lyon has always favoured... I just see Z Clarke as disposable talent for ross Lyon, which will let him keep draft picks. with m clark in the team they will have too much quality in ruck stocks who are all expecting gametime, and with lyon moving heaven and earth to hold on to griffin I smell a Z Clarke trade

Why would Collingwood want Zac Clarke? Jolly will play for another year or two, Wood already proved last year he is ready to take the first string job and then we have Ceglar, Witts and Keeffe all coming through the ranks.

Witts is much further along is his development than people realise as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he got blooded next year and from there played a decent amount of games in 2013.

We won't be getting another ruckman in this trade week, and if we did, I'd expect Cameron Wood would probably hand in his papers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would Collingwood want Zac Clarke? Jolly will play for another year or two, Wood already proved last year he is ready to take the first string job and then we have Ceglar, Witts and Keeffe all coming through the ranks.

Witts is much further along is his development than people realise as well. I wouldn't be surprised if he got blooded next year and from there played a decent amount of games in 2013.

We won't be getting another ruckman in this trade week, and if we did, I'd expect Cameron Wood would probably hand in his papers.

If Z Clarke was traded then Freo will keep griffin meaning Port will need to look elsewhere for a ruckman..ie. Woods.

By the time Jolly retires Z Clarke will start to reach his peak and will be ready for a #1 ruck spot ;)

Wood is crapola, Jolly might retire IF the rumours are true so he would be a good option for you. Keeffe is a defender/Foward who could ruck but thats not where he plays best at. Ceglar and Witts might not even make it. And Clarke will allow them time to develop in the ressies.

I would hate to see what someone like Pendles would be worth if Redden is worth pick 5-10 he would have to fetch Like pick 1,2,3,4,5. God You are massively overrating Redden.

Did you not see the 5-10? so I don't see how that is overrating as compared to pick for for Beams But most people would agree Redden would have a higher trade value than Beams.

I would hate to see what someone like Pendles would be worth if Redden is worth pick 5-10 he would have to fetch Like pick 1,2,3,4,5. God You are massively overrating Redden.

Obviously your neighbour hasn't told you enough about Redden.

Absolute quality.

yeah but both griffin and Z Clarke have been mentioned in trade talks...griffin was set to leave because Z Clarke is now ahead of him in the pecking order, but if he is getting talked around to staying I feel Z Clarke could be used as he has the trade currency ahead to griffin to get a deal done with no or minimal impact on losing draft picks.

Just how I see it potentially playing out :)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/10213271/clarke-wants-no-part-of-lion-trade/

"I'm more than happy at Freo at the moment," Clarke said.
"They give you first crack at it so you want to repay them and I'm enjoying my time in Perth, so I wouldn't be looking to move."

Is contracted also. So you can rule him out. I wanted your thoughts before posting this article from about a month ago.

We should only consider getting rid of Beams if it means we can land O'Meara. Opposition supporters are kidding themselves if they think he is worth later than pick 15. If Beams hypothetically entered the national draft this year, he would be snapped up by pick 15. Why would a club gamble on a talented kid when Beams is a bankable 200 game player.

Pick 5-10, Most people would agree he is better than Beams.

On exposed form he is, but it's not a huge gap. Redden is in the best 3-4 21&U mids in the AFL, Beams is probably in the best 5-6.

And I don't really believe that you'd be saying something around pick 10 was fair if Redden was actually on the table. If you were, you'd be joining the Essendon chap in badly overrating picks.

On exposed form he is, but it's not a huge gap. Redden is in the best 3-4 21&U mids in the AFL, Beams is probably in the best 5-6.

And I don't really believe that you'd be saying something around pick 10 was fair if Redden was actually on the table. If you were, you'd be joining the Essendon chap in badly overrating picks.

If the Crows offered pick 10 for Redden and Redden was contracted at the Lions and wanted to stay I would say no. Redden has been top 5 in the B&F for the past two seasons. He is basically a Joel Corey clone. Pick 10 is no certainty to play 250 games for your club (JON), Redden is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back