militiaa

Team Captain
Jul 3, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Wild/ Minnesota Vikings
First Essendon jumper dad got me with his number 7. What is your thoughts on him when he played? I have no memory of his prime days. Also, who was better out of Adam Ramanauskas and Dean Solomon even though they probably two different types players? (My older brother had Adam Ramanauskas's number.)

Rama had the more talent. If cancer hadnt cut him down in his prìme, he would have been a superstar of our club.

Solomon was a tough mild skilled player who just gave 110% all the time and had some real mongrel about him.

The type opposition know is around at all times.

Both gave our club excellent service

Rama..sublime balance, skill and all round awesomeness.

Solly..straight forward, GTF out my way beast of a player..one of the hardest bastards I've ever seen in an Essendon jumper.

Of course he joins Harvs, Hardwick, Roger, Shane Heard, Merv Neagle, JJ, Mark Johnson and a host of many other hard arsed beast masters.

Solly was a great, great bomber player. Absolute legend.

Last edited:
What is he up to these days? Think he was an assistant coach at one stage

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hard like Hodge but not the same level of disposal but good enough.

I think we have drafted quite a few players with mental toughness like Soloman in the last few years that should help get the club to where we should be at the top again.

Early 2000s were great because of players like Soloman. All you want is effort and they gave it in spades!

Same, 7 always wore it. It even made me blindly like Jetta.

Same, but when Jetta would * up I would loudly announce in a panic that "It's a Bill Hutchison jumper!"

I think I exonerated myself and assured all around me that I was still cool

Actually didn't know that Bill Hutchison wore 7, pretty stoked about that! I've still got all my guernseys, all with 7 on them. Pretty happy with our current one ;)

Hard like Hodge but not the same level of disposal but good enough.

I think we have drafted quite a few players with mental toughness like Soloman in the last few years that should help get the club to where we should be at the top again.

Early 2000s were great because of players like Soloman. All you want is effort and they gave it in spades!

Yeah effort is the key word.

Hardwick, Solly, Wellman, Johno and Fletch weren't exactly text book classical players with grace and style.

Rama on the other hand was the odd one out. The young 18-19 year old veteran. The gliding, sleek and smooth moving marvel who could just about get out of any tricky situation without any panic...like Wangas.

But it was the effort the entire 6 put in at every contest that made them so hard to beat..almost impossible to beat.

Great backline. So many great memories.

Solomon was really calm and assured when he burst onto the scene. Lovely kick too. Reminded me a lot of Mark Harvey at half back.

Played a fantastic year post knee at half forward too.

Think Sheeds made a big mistake trying to bulk him up to play key position.

Great call. Solly was tough but also had skill and could use both sides.
I remember Healy remarking during a match v Port where Solly had taken a courageous tough mark:
"Most players see the physio after a game but Solomon goes to the panel beater."

A Solomon type on the half back flank would be pretty handy right now especially if Gibbo types get a fraction late with their bumps as with McGrath last week.
As someone else posted previously, had Rama not been cut down by injury and cancer, he was on the way to becoming an elite player. He was as smooth as any player I have seen. He walked straight into the 2000 premiership side after only a couple of games the year before and did not look out of place in what could arguably have been the best Essendon side to ever hit the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brutal tackler and exponent of the bump, he played a rebounding/medium defender role as he was only 6'2" but was a good mark and his disposal was actually REALLY underrated imo
One of those guys who's physicality meant you hated playing against him but wanted him in your team.
Gets a rap outside of bomber land as a thug for the ling incident, but was mostly a really fair player otherwise.

a key cog in one of the most feared defences of all time. Any forward line that saw a team sheet of
Wallis, wellman, m.johnson, Hardwick and Solomon not only feared for their football, but their physical wellbeing as well.

One of my favourite players of all time, with Scott Lucas the other. I was Gutted when he wanted to come back but Knightmare didn't want him.

You are making me feel old..

I always see that team as the first modern day millennium era great team, so it's weird talking about it in the past tense..

Solomon was like Goddard and Hooker combined..very solid.

Adam had a lot of strings to his bow and was Cyril Like with the ball..

Caracalla was just silky smooth and pure accuracy with disposal and goal kicking..

The 2000 team were as good as the Hawks 3-peat team ..

Same, but when Jetta would **** up I would loudly announce in a panic that "It's a Bill Hutchison jumper!"

I think I exonerated myself and assured all around me that I was still cool
r0_0_1527_2065_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Was probably my favourite player other than Hird during that era.

He brought so much toughness and force to the team we stood taller because of it. Was also very good by foot.

In regards to more talent out of he and Rama? I'd have to go Rama, he really would have been a top liner with more luck. The fact he walked into that 2000 side as a 1st year player speaks volumes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back