Delisted free agents - sifting through the neighbor's bins

Remove this Banner Ad

X. Richards would be handy for a DFA

I dont think we would be a good fit for his needs.

Sydney probably only offered him peanuts to stay and he is probably after significant game time also.

In summary: He would cost too much for what he brings, we wouldn't be able to gurantee him a game every week AND he would take a spot away from Harwick Stewart Lovell etc.

Pass for me.

I dont think we would be a good fit for his needs.

Sydney probably only offered him peanuts to stay and he is probably after significant game time also.

In summary: He would cost too much for what he brings, we wouldn't be able to gurantee him a game every week AND he would take a spot away from Harwick Stewart Lovell etc.

Pass for me.
On the other hand, picking up a Shitney delistee and turning him into a Hawthorn gun sounds enticing...

Has Richards actually been delisted yet? I thought Sydney offered him a contract, but he asked for a trade instead. They may delist him to help him get where he wants to go, but it's never a guarantee

Has Richards actually been delisted yet? I thought Sydney offered him a contract, but he asked for a trade instead. They may delist him to help him get where he wants to go, but it's never a guarantee

He's stated as delisted on the AFL website.

I'd be interested in Richards. We probably won't get him but I'd be happy if we did. I think we need more depth in our tall stocks, and he's got experience at both ends of the ground (albeit his senior games have mostly been up forward). Judging by the way Hawthorn used Sicily/TOB/Burton in 2016, that versatility is something the coaching staff would highly value.
Plus, this year he had a Contested Marking average of 1.7 per game (our highest was Sicily with 1.5) so he was relatively proficient in an area where Hawthorn struggled. Given we've not got a particularly strong hand at the draft, I reckon he could be a good steal as a DFA.

I think we should look at Richards. He's no star but he is no worse than his brother at the same age. He played in a grand final less than a month ago. Given our alternative is a rubbish late pick, I wouldn't mind him on the list as depth. He's better than TOB and maybe we could turn him into a defender.
He's not better than TOB. Only reason he gets a game is because the $tains don't have any forwards outside of Franklin

He's not better than TOB. Only reason he gets a game is because the $tains don't have any forwards outside of Franklin

Kicks a lot more goals at the ressies level than TOB. Granted the VFL is far superior to the NEAFL.

If we could get that green fella from Brisbane we could play rioli and pupplo through the midfield a lot more.

Actually, rioli is coming off a pretty cruisey year as our main forward target - he should be refreshed enough to play a full year through the guts.

Jom tom and Cyril - new midfield.
I have a feeling Cyril will spend a lot more time in the midfield next season. Last couple of years has looked stronger and stronger and will be coming into his physical best years in the next few.

This all i could find, hope this helps:

Nash on Hawthorn's radar
24 August 2015
5T9vvvD2191.jpg

Meath midfielder Conor Nash
Meath minor midfielder Conor Nash is being monitored by AFL champions Hawthorn.
According to the AFL website, the Hawks are pursuing the promising Simonstown youngster who is also a talented rugby player.

The St Pat's student, who was selected at full-back in Ireland's under-18 club rugby team back in February, recently spent some time 'Down Under' with the back-to-back premier champions but, having only recently turned 17, it is understood that he is not yet old enough to sign with an AFL club.

There's also this:

Hawks touch down to inspire students
19 Feb 2016, 10:03 p.m.
r0_0_847_565_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

19-2-2016 photo Scott GelstonHawthorn Hawks visit Evandale PrimaryHawks Kade Stewart, Bradley Hill, Tim O'Brien, Connor Nash and Luke Hodge speak to students

The Hawks are no strangers to scouring the international talent pool.

r0_0_847_565_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

19-2-2016 photo Scott GelstonHawthorn Hawks visit Evandale PrimaryStudents Jonathan Barwick and Dylan Alderson handball to Hawk Connor Nash.
He's a big unit, if you take in to consideration that those two school kids are about 6 feet tall, as ive heard there is something in the water and they breed them big in Tasmania:p:D
Certainly a bigger frame than Tim O'Brien.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TOB has a place in Hawthorns team... be it as a forward or as a backman. He just needs to put some muscle weight on his bones
Back Pocket / Half Back Flank, for sure. I reckon he's got huge potential back there.

Maybe shoey can go down back again and play some solid footy. He is bigger now, still a good kick and fairly agile.

DFA that seem appealing.

Richards: played good down back in the neafl ended up moving forward with the emergence of alir and at the time talia. Best suited as a second kpd.

Morrabito: lots of talent, needs to get healthy. Hopefully hawks medics can live up to the reputation.

Green: would be a great pick up if he was cheap. 5 years younger than poppy and would allow Cyril and breust to play more time in the midfield.

McKenzie: don't know too much about him, apparently has a pretty good and penetrating kick but he is a bit soft. Maybe clarko can harden him up.

Tippet: would be the best defender in the vfl. Can play on the gorrila forwards. Solid option next to frawley or brand as a depth player. Would come cheaper than brown.

If Barrett becomes available he is a no-brainer pick up!

Still need a pure ruckman as a back up who can a play a little bit up forward.
Lowden? Not sure why the hawks traded him.

If as Wright has said we didnt want Lewis to leave then a like for like replacement would be Barlow.

Didn't realise Barlow was a four time premiership player, best and fairest winner and All Australian of our mighty club...

We don't want like for like, we want youth. Lovell, Langford and O'Rourke get a chance to lay claim to being the 'next' Jordan Lewis...

Morrabito's knees are shagged and he's slowed down. What he's been through to come back, wow, that is incredible guts, but there is no way we'll pick him up. I'd bet my house on that.

Morrabito's knees are shagged and he's slowed down. What he's been through to come back, wow, that is incredible guts, but there is no way we'll pick him up. I'd bet my house on that.

I'd bet your house on that too.

Surely we dont take Woody off a rookie list, just to replace him with Morabito......what would be the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back