Certified Legendary Thread Delusional Pearlers IV

Remove this Banner Ad

In the Essendon troll thread:

The AFL Essendon Bombers are in a good place IMO, (EFC as we knew it was moribund a few years back and but for AFL intervention would no longer be).

Doesn't make sense to compare the two entities, does it? It's a new club built from the ashes of one of the great teams of the first 150 years of the sport.

Based on last season only, I’d have Sicily an elite halfback, Tom Mitchell, and Ben McEvoy as our only elites. However, there’s a lot of the dirty word (potential) on our list, and plenty of players who missed large chunks that are elite

2. The Kurt tippet saga. Been through this before... Crows Board gave Kurt Tippett a contract extension at the end of 2010 to Prevent him going to the Gold Coast suns. Then it was later revealed there were dodgy 3rd party payments which breached the crows salary cap for during the 2011 and 2012 seasons. Crows gave up their 2012 1st and 2nd rounders just before the 2012 draft. The AFL decided to punish the crows by stripping them of their 2013 1st and 2nd rounders too.

Essendon, on the other hand, were punished for using banned substances and using players as human guinea pigs for drug taking for 4 years. Essendons punishment: loss of a 1st round pick.

Would Victorian teams jump over to a fairer competition ? just like they would want WA to have its fair share of GST ? no doubt...pack of thieves.

Never mind the billions that were pumped into WA, largely from NSW & Victoria, prior to the mining boom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I'm serious mate. Billions you say? Prior to the boom?
WA has not always propped this country up despite the well held belief by some members of the state.

Fair to say more then a billion bucks went into WA before the mining boom, how many years was there before that?

EDIT: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...ias-brazen-call-more-gst-money/14298840001796

This sorta explains it. But yeah prior to the boom WA was getting more funding then its population deserved if you listen to the arguments for changing the GST distributions. Funny how they didn't complain then.

Last edited:
WA has not always propped this country up despite the well held belief by some members of the state.

Fair to say more then a billion bucks went into WA before the mining boom, how many years was there before that?

EDIT: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au...ias-brazen-call-more-gst-money/14298840001796

This sorta explains it. But yeah prior to the boom WA was getting more funding then its population deserved if you listen to the arguments for changing the GST distributions. Funny how they didn't complain then.
Yeah sorta.

The reason WA had to be 'propped up' was because the Western Australian economy has always been based on exporting primary goods, and up until that point the federal government had protectionist policies which were great for manufacturing states, but awful for WA. So really, WA was already propping up the other states by sacrificing itself on the altar of federation, so that they could have a viable manufacturing industry.

A Royal Commission in the 1920s(ish) suggested that WA should have never joined the federation because of the detrimental economic impact that federal protectionism had on the state's economy.

Furthermore, the proportional amount that WA has given over to the eastern states well exceeds the amount they were given prior to the turnaround.

I'm tuning in here after Richmond give Carlton their annual first-up trouncing, having unfurled their 2017 flag earlier that evening.

The hysteria will be off the charts.

The reason WA had to be 'propped up' was because the Western Australian economy has always been based on exporting primary goods, and up until that point the federal government had protectionist policies which were great for manufacturing states, but awful for WA. So really, WA was already propping up the other states by sacrificing itself on the altar of federation, so that they could have a viable manufacturing industry.

A Royal Commission in the 1920s(ish) suggested that WA should have never joined the federation because of the detrimental economic impact that federal protectionism had on the state's economy.

Furthermore, the proportional amount that WA has given over to the eastern states well exceeds the amount they were given prior to the turnaround.
That was kinda my memory of it as well but I didn't want to go off half cocked. I was actually going to tag you into this this morning as I knew you were a bit of a history buff and would have a bit more of an idea about it than me. Good to see that wasn't necessary in the end.

I also remember reading somewhere that there were a number of votes in WA to join the federation and each one was a no up until there were enough eastern stater blow ins in the goldfields to tip the balance. Not sure if that one is true or not though.

That was kinda my memory of it as well but I didn't want to go off half cocked. I was actually going to tag you into this this morning as I knew you were a bit of a history buff and would have a bit more of an idea about it than me. Good to see that wasn't necessary in the end.

I also remember reading somewhere that there were a number of votes in WA to join the federation and each one was a no up until there were enough eastern stater blow ins in the goldfields to tip the balance. Not sure if that one is true or not though.

The Royal commission bit I think it was the dissenting opinion of one of the commissioners (I may be wrong on that) rather than the formal finding.

There was only one referendum held with voting split - there is no doubt Federation was more popular in the regions where the "blow ins" resided, however the vote was passed 2-1 by the 65 odd thousand who voted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back