Analysis Derek Hine

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess is Hine will receive a demotion of sorts, with Gubby Allan given the role of list manager.

Whether Hine is willing to stay after that demotion is the question, but Allan will be back at the club once his suspension ends, I'm almost certain of that, and he won't be replacing/displacing Walsh.

I;d throw Rendell out the door and bring in a fresher set of eyes. Someone who has been working with the AIS academy maybe for the past few years and knows the current youth system better then someone like Rendell.

My guess is Hine will receive a demotion of sorts, with Gubby Allan given the role of list manager.

Whether Hine is willing to stay after that demotion is the question, but Allan will be back at the club once his suspension ends, I'm almost certain of that, and he won't be replacing/displacing Walsh.

I;d throw Rendell out the door and bring in a fresher set of eyes. Someone who has been working with the AIS academy maybe for the past few years and knows the current youth system better then someone like Rendell.
If Gubby comes back the current administration is a farce. There must be a governance that at worst reaches the level of competent.

I for one would like to hear about more examples where Rendell and Hine have disagreed. If that is true about Hine or Bucks over ruling on Peter Wright for JDG. That is a royal FUp. Yes I know this had been discussed at length already... but I wasn't aware of the specifics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one would like to hear about more examples where Rendell and Hine have disagreed. If that is true about Hine or Bucks over ruling on Peter Wright for JDG. That is a royal FUp. Yes I know this had been discussed at length already... but I wasn't aware of the specifics...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think in theory it's great that Derek and rendell have differing opinions, means they can discuss it out for best results in theory.

I'm pleased with De Goey as are we sure Wright doesn't end up being more of a ruck type? Or does wright end up an elite forward or just a very good forward.

Be interesting to revisit in say 10 years

Maybe they could just swap roles, or give Rendell national draft and Hine rookie draft.
Do we still have rookies in 2018?
I thought, only Cat B rookies would be retained.
So total senior list of 44 plus 3 Cat B rookies?
Assume Cat B rookies will just be known as 'rookies' as no Cat A anymore!

nb Hence, no more rookie draft I assume

Last edited:
I think we might be able to get the SA teams or QLD teams to slightly over pay for Greenwood. SA teams (looking for a hard inside mid) and the QLD teams may need some experience in the guts to balance/protect their young.

Who are you referring to with this comment? Reid, Brown, Dawes, Moore, Cox?
Mainly Gault and Wyatt. Of the others Brown is more athletic than a genuine KPP. The rest are actual KPP's but Dawes and Reid were recruited under MM, while Cox was rookied from the US and Moore was recruited under F/S.

Just go to the royal on a Friday night and maybe ask the list management questions. I bet we wouldn't have ended up with Jordan Russell, lynch, Mayne, wells if they took advice from the average pissed punter.
A lot of the clubs decision making over the last 6 years does not pass the average pissed punter at the pub test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh Dear Sweet Jesus No.

So who be the Next Mayne Gubby Brings In?

I don't mind the Idea of letting Rendall Go and Bring in someone with Fresh Eyes and Ideas. Matt has been around a long time

Do we still have rookies in 2018?
I thought, only Cat B rookies would be retained.
So total senior list of 44 plus 3 Cat B rookies?
Assume Cat B rookies will just be known as 'rookies' as no Cat A anymore!

nb Hence, no more rookie draft I assume

Category A rookie list is being retained. It's the rules relating to promotion that are being revamped...

Jason Taylor

Maybe we can swap our current football dept with the football dept that we had and got rid of....

tech.gif

Mainly Gault and Wyatt. Of the others Brown is more athletic than a genuine KPP. The rest are actual KPP's but Dawes and Reid were recruited under MM, while Cox was rookied from the US and Moore was recruited under F/S.
That's probably more to do with the fact that Wyatt and Gault were rookie picks, which means all the genuine KPPs are gone, and that the actual KPFs (Moore, Reid, Brown, etc.) were taken in the first round. If you want to complain about the lack of genuine KPPs I think your blame is misplaced. It's not due to a desire to draft athletic talls like Gault (drafted in 2011 btw) and Wyatt. It's due to:

1. Not trading Heath Shaw for a KPP, instead trading him for a midfielder
2. Not trading Dayne Beams for a KPP, or using the traded draft picks (pick 5) on a KPP, instead trading for two midfielders and drafting a midfielder
3. Not using our low picks when we had them in recent years on KPPs, instead drafting midfielders
4. Trading away our first round draft picks of the last few years for a midfielder

That's probably more to do with the fact that Wyatt and Gault were rookie picks, which means all the genuine KPPs are gone, and that the actual KPFs (Moore, Reid, Brown, etc.) were taken in the first round. If you want to complain about the lack of genuine KPPs I think your blame is misplaced. It's not due to a desire to draft athletic talls like Gault (drafted in 2011 btw) and Wyatt. It's due to:

2. Not trading Dayne Beams for a KPP, or using the traded draft picks (pick 5) on a KPP, instead trading for two midfielders and drafting a midfielder
3. Not using our low picks when we had them in recent years on KPPs, instead drafting midfielders
4. Trading away our first round draft picks of the last few years for a midfielder

That's pretty damning when talking about list management and balance.

History shows you need to grab KPP's early in the draft. Don't think Treloar trade was too bad...the time to get a KPP was the DE goey pick who should be Wright. Yes De goey looks promising, but just isn't really what Collingwood need whereas Wright in cox's role would be a massive improvement.

I think Shaw for Adams was ok...but gws were bursting with KPP's at the time I wonder if Collingwood could have pried one loose.

Gault was initially drafted in the ND, demoted to the rookie list due to injury issues.

I think drafting mids as you've outlined was reasonable when since Bucks assumed the reins we've had or recruited (off the top of my head) Cloke, Reid, Moore, Cox, Gault, Frost, Keeffe, Marsh, Brown, Tarrant, Richmond, Wyatt, Lynch, Witts, and White as well as medium talks like Patty K. Unforeseeable that early promise wouldn't necessarily be realized, that some would prematurely decline, or that we'd lose so many last off season. Did as well as it could to recover from that given we'd compromised our draft position the previous year. Added Dunn, Schade, McLarty, McCarthy, and Lynch.

Each year over that period I've always wanted us to add a tall for development. Would have been happy to grab any number of GWS and GCS departing talls like Bruce, Frost or Marchbank. They take longer. Need to allow them that time. But that doesn't mean I think the club erred by not doing it or deliberately contrived to go into 2017 so light on for KPP types over the journey.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back