Did Richmond make a mistake drafting (trading for) Dion Prestia?

Remove this Banner Ad

scampaignerhorpe

article-0-1761DAB1000005DC-492_634x343.jpg

I've never played in an AFL premiership champ and I'm pretty confident you haven't either. I also don't spend a heap of time slagging off opposition club's players and their trading decisions at all.... especially not prematurely. In fact, I'm firmly of the opinion that until I'm prepared to put my hand up to do something that the people who get paid to do it should be somewhat trusted. That way, I don't have to worry about saying stupid things that people can throw back in my face. Other people are happy to write down whatever thought pops into their head....glad you can admit it you got it wrong. Real class wouldn't have written it in the first place :thumbsu:

Right, so BF is not a place where people can express an opinion about another club's recruiting. How about?
1. Have an opinion.
2. Admit when you're wrong.
3. Show a little grace when you're right.

Prestia came into superb form at the right time. Clearly needed the extended run after an interrupted pre-season. Brilliant pick up.

2016 Pick #6 + 2017 Pick #35 for Dion Prestia + 2016 Pick #24. Has to be considered a win for Richmond. Especially as that #24, along with Prestia's influence, allowed us to trade for Josh Caddy.

Both players instrumental in 2017.

Im fine with pick 6 for prestia, the guy is a classy player. Great work tiges..
Top 30 player in the comp before injury set backs. Our injury list the week of the Grand Final (1 player) shows how good we are at player management and recovery.

Bennell getting back on the park may also suggest it's a Gold Coast issue more than anything.

Top 30 player in the comp before injury set backs. Our injury list the week of the Grand Final (1 player) shows how good we are at player management and recovery.

Bennell getting back on the park may also suggest it's a Gold Coast issue more than anything.
No argument here.

My theory is those issues are a hangover from the preseasons managed by Stephen Schwerdt who was let go/"pursued other opportunities" mid-season in 2015.

Still having some issues with players drafted early on but seem to only be improving now.

No argument here.

My theory is those issues are a hangover from the preseasons managed by Stephen Schwerdt who was let go/"pursued other opportunities" mid-season in 2015.

Still having some issues with players drafted early on but seem to only be improving now.
Gotta be hard to be successful when there's someone allegedly borderline incompetent in such an important role.

Good luck to your next coach, I mean that seriously. I really hope the upper echelons actually invest into your football department this time.

they atleast read Quadrant live somewhere like Beaumaris, drive a Rolls, and live in a modernist architect achitecture history heritage capsule

Was with a tigers supporting mate of mine in the members when Melbourne were flogging Tigers. He stood up and politely (naturally as a Tigers supporter would) "which one of you bastards voted for the merger"

Many faces looked at the ground

#plasticfrench
#skitossers
#tooraktractors
#laughingstock

on what planet can the tigers compete with giants, digs or crows and push for a flag? even with another good tall forward and defender (if drafted at least 3 years wait) they are miles away and have holes everywhere. gws first rounder is pick 18 - 20. rucks are average (nank has been beaten by kreuze, grundy and sauce) no run from defence and only really jack up forward (to be fair rioli looks good). got on a roll at the outset (blues were terrible against them) had a bit of luck (west coast should have nailed them but kicked badly and then the dees had no rucks and tigers got out of jail) now that there bubble has been pricked i suspect that they will come back to the field and finish 9th.
On the planet we inhabit and in the very same year!

still overpaid in isolation.

net impact is a flag and two other premiership players...

yep, you'd do it again.
Agree. Won the flag with him pivotal in the finals when it counted.

Not to mention the implications of getting Caddy and Graham with the swap of second rounders in the trade.

Would take the flag now and Dion for another 5 years than Scrimshaw for the next 10 (and in saying that, I hope he turns out to be a star).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gave up pick 6 for a midget who had a crook knee and has looked absolutely cooked the past month. Slow and turns it over by foot and tends to dumble alot. I don't remember him being this bad at GC

Could have had SPP or Will Brodie for the next 10-12 years but now they have someone who has underperformed and on a huge pay packet.

most underrated player in the game imo

grimes and shane edwards aside

Agree. Won the flag with him pivotal in the finals when it counted.

Not to mention the implications of getting Caddy and Graham with the swap of second rounders in the trade.

Would take the flag now and Dion for another 5 years than Scrimshaw for the next 10 (and in saying that, I hope he turns out to be a star).

Prestia is the perfect example as to why picks are overrated. Scrimshaw is horrible and won’t make it. Yet people would complain about giving a good pick for Prestia who is a proven gun in our premiership year.

Prestia is the perfect example as to why picks are overrated. Scrimshaw is horrible and won’t make it. Yet people would complain about giving a good pick for Prestia who is a proven gun in our premiership year.

on the other hand prestia was originally a top 10 pick

Gave up pick 6 for a midget who had a crook knee and has looked absolutely cooked the past month. Slow and turns it over by foot and tends to dumble alot. I don't remember him being this bad at GC

Could have had SPP or Will Brodie for the next 10-12 years but now they have someone who has underperformed and on a huge pay packet.

*chortle*

What are the chances Prestia finishes his AFL career after those 2, very likely I would reckon

Sure but when you really hit a draft pick the value is crazy good. Think of getting a bloke like a Fyfe or a Pendlebury or Cripps etc. Guys that you build your club around. If they stay at your club and you get 15+ years out of them, well its pretty much like hitting the lottery.

Or to pick younger examples look at Port from last year with Rozee and Duursma. We don't know yet what the future will hold for them but their first season could hardly have been more promising.

For the record Prestia for pick 6 was a good trade. No doubt about it. But its not just as simple as draft picks are overrated, like in most things there is a balance.

Sure but when you really hit a draft pick the value is crazy good. Think of getting a bloke like a Fyfe or a Pendlebury or Cripps etc. Guys that you build your club around. If they stay at your club and you get 15+ years out of them, well its pretty much like hitting the lottery.

Or to pick younger examples look at Port from last year with Rozee and Duursma. We don't know yet what the future will hold for them but their first season could hardly have been more promising.

For the record Prestia for pick 6 was a good trade. No doubt about it. But its not just as simple as draft picks are overrated, like in most things there is a balance.
Two parts to it innit, a team must have the unique culture and opportunities to allow said candidate to flourish, tho one can easily posit that Pendlebury Bontompeli and Fyfe would flourish no matter what... Devil's advocate is question 'what would have been David Swallow's ceiling under a Clarkson regime?'

The OP couldn't be more wrong. The 2 players you compared him too are fringe players at their clubs. Prestia on the other hand is an A grader and is probably leading our B&F.

It wasn't pick 6 we paid for him, so please do your research better next time. Pick 6 + future 2nd (pick 38) for Prestia and pick 24 - worth pick 10 point wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back