FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to admit, I really like this new Doctor. He has such charisma and energy. I think he's going to be big in this role.

Seems the most charismatic since Matt Smith.

Ncuti was amazing. Absolutely owns the screen, incredible casting as the Doctor.

As for the story. Oof, that was bad. RTD is always more interested in character, and like Rose, Smith and Jones and Partners in Crime, the plot is an inconvenience that has to be included despite the main focus for the writer, introducing the shiny new toy which is the new companion. But this was so paper thin it was transparent.

As for the song, worse than Graham Crowden hamming it up in Horns of Nimon, my previous low point for Dr Who.

Agree with others regarding Ncuti. Nailed it.

Owns the screen and IS The Doctor

But yes the story was naff followed by the song which somehow dragged it lower.

Millie Gibson was a nice foil

I kept wondering who and why Mrs Flood had such a presence. I await that mystery

6/10

Agree with others regarding Ncuti. Nailed it.

Owns the screen and IS The Doctor

But yes the story was naff followed by the song which somehow dragged it lower.

Millie Gibson was a nice foil

I kept wondering who and why Mrs Flood had such a presence. I await that mystery

6/10

Some speculation apparently that she's the Rani, but I tend to think it was just a hammy Christmas breaking of the fourth wall.

The plot was just fine for a Christmas romp designed for the whole (UK) family to enjoy gathered round their telly on Christmas night.

And yes - none of RTD's 'intros' to companions or Doctors have featured his best plots. He saves those until we are all very familiar with the new Doctor/companion dynamic.

This episode did everything it needed to.

Didn't really care for the Goblin Song, but its a Christmas episode and I suppose fits in the festive episode.

Not quite as good a debut as The Eleventh Hour but definitely better than most other 21st Century Doctor Debut stories imo.

As a side note, really embarrassing to see some pathetic sooking from man baby fans on Facebook with regards to The Doctor dancing in a dress.

It's the 21st century lads. Try be a bit more progressive.

Didn't really care for the Goblin Song, but its a Christmas episode and I suppose fits in the festive episode.

Not quite as good a debut as The Eleventh Hour but definitely better than most other 21st Century Doctor Debut stories imo.

As a side note, really embarrassing to see some pathetic sooking from man baby fans on Facebook with regards to The Doctor dancing in a dress.

It's the 21st century lads. Try be a bit more progressive.

It was a kilt.

Exactly, but you should see some of the Facebook comments. Yikes.
Feel free to share some as I've seen none and you bringing it up is the first I've seen. You also say "exactly" despite calling it a dress when it wasn't.

I think she has more to do with Ruby

My first thought is to the woman walking away.

Apparently it won't be The Rani.

Big Finish said they lost the rights to using that character after her creators Pip and Jane Baker passed away a couple of years ago.

It's possible we have another toxic Stef Anthony Coburn ownership prat issue here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently it won't be The Rani.

Big Finish said they lost the rights to using that character after her creators Pip and Jane Baker passed away a couple of years ago.

It's possible we have another toxic Stef Anthony Coburn ownership prat issue here.

What does that have to do with the BBC?

What does that have to do with the BBC?

Big Finish are licensed by the BBC.

Regardless RTD has said this new Doctor (Ncuti) and his series is going to be a fresh start and no Daleks and Cybermen for a couple of years, and I presume no other recurring fan favourite characters or villians from the past either, like The Rani (an approach I support btw, really sick of the Daleks tbh)

Big Finish are licensed by the BBC.

Regardless RTD has said this new Doctor (Ncuti) and his series is going to be a fresh start and no Daleks and Cybermen for a couple of years, and I presume no other recurring fan favourite characters or villians from the past either, like The Rani (an approach I support btw, really sick of the Daleks tbh)

I know they are. Just because they can't use a character doesn't mean the BBC can't.

Brilliant trailer. Although I don't really care for much of this season. (Horror of Fang Rock is overrated)

Fun fact for those who didn't know, Gai Waterhouse nee Smith, starred in the final story of this season, The Invasion of Time, as Gallifreyian outcast Presta (and she was very good too, I have always thought)

Horror of Fang Rock is overrated

This might be the worst take in the history of Big Footy. Shame, Elmer, Shame.

Fun fact for those who didn't know, Gai Waterhouse nee Smith, starred in the final story of this season, The Invasion of Time, as Gallifreyian outcast Presta

I love bringing that piece of trivia out: Who is the only Melbourne Cup winner to appear in Dr Who?

I wouldn't pay that much money for Capaldi or Matt Smith (my two favourite Nu Who Doctor's)

I don't think William Shatner charged that much last time he was here in Melbourne.

Anyhow Jodie is my 2nd least favourite Doctor (after Tennant) so it's not as if I was going anyway. I still think it's too exploitive and unreasonable amount tbh
It's also the only reason why the stars attend these events - they can earn a lot of money through selling photos & autographs. Without that income stream, the stars wouldn't attend the conventions, and the conventions would die. Call it a necessary evil?
If anyone cares, Supa Nova has just announced that Jodie Whitaker will be attending the Melbourne and Gold Coast Supa Nova events in April 2024. But be prepared to pay through the nose for a photo or an autograph. $160 for a photo and $150 for an autograph. No thanks.
That's disgusting and disgraceful pricing.
Absolutely gouging the fans

SupaNova announced Giancarlo Esposito will attend their fan cons at Melbourne and the Gold Coast. They're charging half as much as they're charging for Whitaker for photos and autographs with Moff Gideon/Gustavo Fring. I'm still not going to go, but my goodness, that's a lot of money for the worst Doctor in the show's run (IMO).

New series )first 2 eps) will premiere worldwide at same time.

9am AEST on Saturday May 11 for Aussies who subscribe to Disney Plus.

RTD says the decision to partner with Disney will enable the show to continue when the BBC is shut down. Sad to think the BBC (and 'our ABC') could be shut down by (mainly) right-wing types wanting the likes of Foxtel or Sky to rule the airwaves in the near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back