Does an AFL magic round have merit?

AFL should have a magic round.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently the NRL are playing all 8 of its matches this weekend at Brisbane's Suncorp stadium in what is being called "magic round".

The concept originates from the English Super League.

Should the AFL adopt this?

The economic benefits for the host city are obvious. Lots of footy tourists coming in to watch their side, hotels booked, resturants occupied etc
as well as bringing in a nice footy vibe to the host city with people walking round in their club colours of all types.
We already had it. When first started going the norm was 5 or 6 games on a Saturday at same time and one game on a Sunday at SCG every second week as Swans home game at SCG.
But that was a time when league policy was not to get in bed with broadcasters with big tv rights money and live games spread around different time slots on free to air and pay tv.
It was magical coming home on public transport and crossed paths with supporters from other games and finding out from each other what went on at the other games. Tv rights money mean this is thing of the past. You might get four or five games on in Melbourne over the round but spread out on different days and nights. A Thursday or Friday night game, then Saturday middle of day game and another on Saturday night and two more at most on Sunday at different time slots.

NRL have these gimmicks to try and create some interest, for a dying sport in this country.
This is why they still have female cheerleaders in skimpy gear and pompoms.

Do the umpires wave a magic wand?
Does Dusty Martin saw a woman in half?
Does someone pull a rabbit out their bottom?

So that's what De Goey was trying to do on Saturday?

Better not upset the clowns.
images

Maybe something like this
Queens birthday weekend in Melbourne.

Thursday
Richmond v Port MCG 7.10
Friday
Hawthorn v Sydney MCG 7.40
Saturday
Geelong v Fremantle MCG 1:40
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide MVL 4.40
Essendon v West Coast MCG 7:40
Sunday
North v Gold Coast MVL 12:10
Carlton v GWS MCG 3:10
Stkilda v Brisbane MVL 6:10
Monday
Collingwood v Melbourne MCG 2.30

I’ve decided to give marvel home teams a hole fixture to make a buffer between double up games at the g and the opposite on Sunday

All MCG games are televised on 7 for more exposure the other 3 on fox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It works for NRL, works particularly in Brisbane, its a pretty good idea and generates great interest. Its a win for league and its not in competition with any other sport.

As stated by many, AFL games are too long, crowds are too big to work under the same format, and they don't need it. They do so well as standalone compared to league.

My favourite part of this thread are the Victorians who look at the NRL Magic Round, think "hell yeah, this is ace, lets do it here" but want to play the games out of Melbourne.

That isn't the concept. The concept is moving all the Sydney NRL/Melbourne AFL fans out of their stadium somewhere else, with the area receiving a huge boost in tourism dollars, and the host government throwing in a bunch of money to get the teams to come to their city.

So for an AFL perspective, they would need like either the WA government, or NSW government to put up a bunch of money to have the rights to "Magic Round" as a boost for their own tourism.

It wouldn't work in Melbourne, because the whole "you get to watch a heap of games in one weekend" schtick already exists basically every round (plus the issues with ground capacities etc but thats another story).

Myself (early 30s bloke from Perth) tried to make a trip every year to Melbourne once or twice with a bunch of other mates on a weekend where a few of our teams are all playing in Victoria that week (one for the Eagles, one for the Dockers). I am sure that there are groups from all around Australia that try and do similar for ANZAC Round, Queens Birthday and a heap of other random weekends because the scheduling actually has all four of the teams we follow playing at MCG Saturday Night and Sunday afternoon etc...

You have a huge thread about Richmond having to play a game 5km away from their home stadium, I would like to see how a "Magic Round' in Sydney would go over with the 10 Victorian sides.

The only reason to try this would be in another country. Like if they tried it in Beijing or Los Angeles over week to try and promote the sport.

And yep, that's still a pretty silly idea.

The only reason to try this would be in another country. Like if they tried it in Beijing or Los Angeles over week to try and promote the sport.

And yep, that's still a pretty silly idea.
Indeed and the costs would be enormous
I slightly digress, but i see that the NFL have booked 2 games in London this year and I'm told both have sold out.

Victorians support sporting events better than anyone I believe so I think that would be the only state that could support such a concept.
As a Port Adelaide supporter I wouldn't be opposed to an added game and extra experience at the M.C.G in lieu of one home game at Adelaide Oval especially if the game was against another non Victorian side.
The logistics, costings, expected crowd size, gate receipts, turf durability, stadium contracts would all be a head f..k to negotiate however.
I'm sure there are lots of families and clients of charitable organisations that are increasing priced out of the market of attending an AFL game maybe ever so this could be their week for the AFL to give a little bit back.
If the event was run with a grassroots, charitable and or community feel to it then I personally wouldn't mind it.

Magic Round is an under 12s footy carnival played by grown men. It makes no sense in a professional Australian sporting environment other than as a novelty idea to generate some desperately needed attention. From memory it originally germinated as an idea in the NRL for exactly that reason - look how innovative we are, won’t this be fun, please look at us!

It is in fact an ordinary round of football where all but one club play away. Any moment now the NRL will tell us how successful it was and how many extra people attended (the correct answer is seven) and how it was a footy fiesta that made Brisbane quiver with excitement all weekend (it didn’t, we just got a cold snap).

A Penn and Teller review of this magic act would not be positive. Rather than fool anyone else, the NRL only fools itself with these sorts of cheap flimflam diversions.

Back