Does anyone remember this game?

Remove this Banner Ad

usafooty

Draftee
Jun 15, 2004
In August of 1987 I was 16 and visiting Australia with my family (I'm from the USA). Being a big footy fan at the time I was hoping to catch a game. By chance we met some people who were big Carlton supporters and even though my family had moved on to Sydney I flew back to Melbourne and they took me to a game. I am almost positive they played North Melbourne and it was one of the greatest games, in any sport, I have ever seen. if I remember correectly the Blues were down by 3 goals with about two minutes left. They scored two times and as they assembled for the bounce after the second they still needed one more but time was very much against them. They won the bounce, tipped it out wide and someone (I don't remember any of the player's names) ran towards goal and let one go from 50. As soon as the ball left his boot the horn sounded and the ball sailed through for the win. I was jumping up and down, I couldn't believe it. I've been a Blues fan ever since.

Here is the question. Since that was 17 years ago I am not sure how solid my memory is. I think I've got all the facts straight but as we get older we tend to embellish and I'm curious if anyone else remembers this game?

On another note, what has happened to the Blues? For various reasons I am just getting back into following footy this year and it seems they have been struggling of late. Any special reason?

Originally posted by usafooty
On another note, what has happened to the Blues? For various reasons I am just getting back into following footy this year and it seems they have been struggling of late. Any special reason?

Man, that was 386 games ago and in this great game that scenario has been played out time and time again (youre right though the scores were 19.11 to 20.9)

3 weeks ago we came back from 25 points down in the last quater with Fev kicking the winning goal from 50m on the boundary line with only minutes to spare.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=matchresults&spg=articles&m_tournamentmatch_id=1225

Welcome back...its the best game in the world!

Round 22 1987 Carlton vs North

We weren't 3 goals down with 2 minutes to go though, the lead changed a few times during the last quarter and Carlton hit the front through Kernahan with a couple of minutes left, the Roos went upfield where Harris I think took a big grab at half forward, the Roos went forward and somehow got the ball to one of their small forwards in the goal square and they hit the front. The Blues on their last forray forward got the ball in the hands of Harry Madden and his kick was beautifully marked by Sticks about 20 out on an angle. The siren went as he was lining up his kick and he kicked truly.

Won us the flag that year with the extra weeks rest and was also one of several close games in round 22 that made it the best round ever as the final 5 was not decided until near the end of each game.

Originally posted by usafooty

USAFooty, the answer to that question depends on who you ask and I'm sure you would get many different responses and opinions if all on this forum chose to answer it.

IMO our slide down the ladder started back in the 2001 finals series when we lost Kouta with a Knee injury and Ratten (I think) with a broken elbow. Because we were so close in that year our coaching committee obviously thought we were much better than we actually were and recruited accordingly. David Parkin handed the reigns over to an inexperienced coach in Wayne Brittain, SOS retired and the year before that we lost Hammil (apparently we had such a wealth of talent that we could afford to let him go :rolleyes: ) to StKilda.

It was all pretty much down hill from there.....our wretched luck with injuries continued throughout the 2002 season losing Ratts(Capt), Whitnal, Kouta, McKay (Vice Capt), Hulme,Allan and the list went on and on and on and on.

Needless to say we were struggling down the bottom of the ladder and never looked like recovering that year.

Just when most Carlton supporters had accepted our fait and started looking forward to the draft and the top two young players in the country (no names necessary) running around in navy blue the following year, the story broke that Carlton were being investigated for salary cap breaches. Wooden spoon in hand, the inevitable news eventually came (the day before the draft) that we were found guilty of "systematically cheating the system" and the AFL saw fit to hand out the harshest ever penalty to a club EVER. We were fined $1m and more importantly excluded from the first two rounds of the draft as well as the pre-season draft that year and the first round of the draft the following year, effectively denying us the opportunity of selecting up to 6 top line draft picks in two years. That's gotta hurt.

Oh yeah and while all this was going on (at the end of the season) we sacked our coach and the entire board.

I hope this sheds some light for you. Stick with us though mate as I reckon we are on our way to bigger and better things in the next year or two - hopefully the men in charge on and off the field can get us up back to where we belong - playing finals in Sept rather than looking forward to draft choices in November!

GO BLUES!

Hi USA footy!

In response to your question, are you sure it was 1987 you came out here and saw that game and not 1988?

Because I vividly remember a game my brother and I went to at Optus Oval between Carlton and North Melbourne. I remember it so well because neither my brother nor I live in Melbourne and we both happened to be there at the same time. Both being Carlton supporters, we headed out to Optus Oval (then Princes Park I think) to see the Blues play.

The last quarter went for an eternity, and Carlton were nearly three goals down at the death. I vividly remember Carlton fans leaving in droves, as all seemed lost. To cut a long story short, the Blues then kicked two goals and kicked another just before the final siren to win by less than a kick - I am sure all three goals were kicked after the 30 minute mark. My brother and I were very happy we stayed to the end!

From what you have described, I am certain this is the game you were talking about.

I have looked up details of Carlton-North Melb matches, and these are the scores of the match concerned -
13th August 1988
Optus Oval
Carlton 5.7 9.13 15.17 20.21 (141)
N-Melb 3.3 8.11 14.14 20.17 (137)

You may be able to remember from the fact that this game was played at Optus Oval, while the other (1987) game talked about in response to your question was at Waverley (VFL Park).

As to who kicked the winning goal, that I can't remember!

Cheers.

Originally posted by sherb
I have looked up details of Carlton-North Melb matches, and these are the scores of the match concerned -
13th August 1988
Optus Oval
Carlton 5.7 9.13 15.17 20.21 (141)
N-Melb 3.3 8.11 14.14 20.17 (137)

You may be able to remember from the fact that this game was played at Optus Oval, while the other (1987) game talked about in response to your question was at Waverley (VFL Park).

As to who kicked the winning goal, that I can't remember!

Cheers.

That lil' **** Gleeson. Can't forget that one in a hurry... the time clock was at 35min !!

I also recall a few other nailbiting close games at Princess Park ...in 1976, 1978 and 1985? when North came back from 4 goals down at the 20 min mark.
And to add to the close games... that Rnd 3 game this season.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back