Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2006
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Plan A ... with help

26 November 2007 - Herald Sun - Mark Stevens

DRAFT day is stressful for young players, but it is hell for recruiters. The Western Bulldogs spent weeks preparing for Saturday's draft and found even when things go to plan, it's not always the way you imagine.

0,1658,5768255,00.jpg

Tough time: Bulldogs recruiters Domenic Ambrogio (left) and Scott Clayton feel the stress of draft day. Picture: Michael Dodge

8am Cafe Zest, Port Melbourne

THE Spirit of Tasmania is docked across the road, but Western Bulldogs recruiting manager Scott Clayton is gazing at the glassy water beyond.

"It was very clear a while ago that Matthew Kreuzer, Trent Cotchin and Cale Morton were going to be three players gone before our pick (at No. 5)," Clayton says.

"If Jarrad Grant's not the next best player after them, then I'll swim to Williamstown from here."

Clayton, flanked by his recruiting deputy Domenic Ambrogio, is running through the pre-draft plans over a latte and fruit toast.

Laid out on the table is the club's draft hit list, usually stamped "Top Secret". Yet Clayton is comfortable running through the method of attack.

And the late mail is correct. The Dogs have fallen for Grant, and it is not a recent love affair.

"We took the coach to see him probably four months ago. He's the only player we took the coach to four months ago," Clayton says.

"He's a no-brainer. He's a marking forward, he's Andrejs Everitt's best mate and they compete against each other. They will have a wonderful career with each other. Think of the way Brendan Fevola plays. He's better than he was at this age."

Clayton says Grant averaged more contested marks than any other player in the TAC Cup this year.

Ambrogio chips in: "Forty-four per cent of his marks were contested."
But is he all right when it hits the ground?

"He's better than all right. He's extraordinarily good," Clayton says.

So there's nothing that can stop you getting Grant? Who's Plan B if someone nabs him?

Alex Rance, son of former Bulldog Murray and a dashing key defender, is mentioned as a possible option at No. 5.

As thrilled as he will be to grab Grant, Clayton says he rates Morton the equal of Kreuzer and Cotchin.

"He will be a gift at four for Melbourne if it happens as expected," Clayton says.

"He's as big a gift at four as Grant is at five."

With Grant all but a lock-in, eyes turn to the next pick -- No.19. Clayton says the Dogs want either Callan Ward or Robbie Tarrant.

"We're desperate for those two at 19. We'll be riding that one big time," Clayton says.

"Tarrant's a power forward. Ward lives near the (Whitten) Oval and he's fantastic. A future leader. A bloody beauty.

"That's the toughest call in the world. I got up at three and watched their stuff again last night."

The Dogs' next pick is 35. They want Caloundra kid Sam Reid. If Reid is gone, the Dogs have their eye on ruckman Dawson Simpson.

Now, it turns left-field. Clayton scans down the running sheet to his smoky.
"This has been the worst-kept secret in AFL footy. This one's too well smoked," Clayton says.

"We've had a guy called Easton Wood at Geelong Grammar we've been looking at.

"He's a real power athlete who didn't go to the Geelong Falcons program because of his cricket."

The Dogs performed a Google search on Wood's school aths results and were blown away. Clayton says Wood has a massive leap and a bit of Colin Sylvia about him.

But when an AFL club comes knocking, it is only natural that people talk.
"Somehow, through his mates or something, it has got out," Clayton says.

"Richmond have been to see him the last few weeks, Hawthorn have been to see him, so has Geelong, and Collingwood are telling him they are going to draft him."

The Dogs discreetly approached Wood at least three months ago. Now they have a fight on their hands.

Next on the hit list is Dandenong key-position prospect Jarrad Boumann.
"He's 196cm or 200cm with high hair. He's lightning quick and worth a punt. I'd really like to come away with him," Clayton says.

They like Guy O'Keefe and Tony Armstrong, too. The plan is to take one of them with their sixth pick.

The Dogs will pass on their last pick. They are intent on using it to nail Scott Welsh in the pre-season draft.

"That's it. That's our plan," Clayton says.

10am, Telstra Dome

WITHIN minutes, the Dogs have their man. Grant lasts until No. 5 as the top four goes as expected.

The nerves, though, are about to kick in.

Will Tarrant and Ward last? If they both get through to 19, who do they take?

The Kangaroos, the club the Dogs feared were into Tarrant, swoop on the full-forward with pick 15. One down, but Ward is still alive.

Then comes the curve-ball. Rance, the player the Dogs named as a possible Plan B for Grant, is overlooked in the first round.

A break is called. Richmond has 18. If the Tigers look past Rance and Ward, the Dogs will have an unexpected call to make.

The Tigers take the heat off, naming Rance. The choice is then obvious: the Dogs select Ward at No. 19.

It continues to go to script, with Reid still available at 35.

Fearful of other predators, the Dogs don't gamble with the smoky Wood and jump to take him at 43, more confident Boumann and Co would slip through.
Boumann is taken at 48, leaving one pick left. It's Armstrong v O'Keefe.
Clayton's good mate, Adelaide recruiting boss Matt Rendell, takes the decision out of his hands. The Crows take Armstrong at 58, leaving O'Keefe for the Kennel.

11am, Telstra Dome

CLAYTON is extremely happy. The club didn't get to make its own call on Tarrant v Ward and Armstrong v O'Keefe, but they were both line-ball calls anyway.

"You saw our list and in the finish it wasn't far off the mark," Clayton says.

"Rance made it a bit interesting, but you know how excited we are to get Ward."

Grant is down the back of the room, surrounded by family. He's wearing the Bulldogs' polo shirt conveniently delivered pre-draft.

"I was a bit nervous about where I could be going, but I'm happy to be going to the Bulldogs," Grant says.

He is still recovering from a broken wrist, which he carried through the final weeks of the TAC Cup season.

"I'll get the plaster off on December 4. I'm looking forward to getting it off. It's a bit hot and the thing smells a bit," Grant says.

His grandfather Roland, down from Ulladulla on the New South Wales South Coast, is a life-long Bulldog and even more excited than his grandson.

Roland umpired 31 VFL games from 1961-66, was born in Footscray and grew up in Gordon St.

"I'm just so proud. This is a day to remember," Roland says.

Roland freely admits he had a love for the Dogs when he umpired.

"Ironically, the Bulldogs only ever won one game under me as a league umpire. I must be honest, the day that they did I got quite excited," he says.

Roland is happy to tag along with the family for the rest of the afternoon, unsure if there's any celebrations.

Clayton's plans are more clearly defined. He heads off for a quiet beer.

We won't know for five years if he has to put on his togs and paddle to Willy.

WOW thanks for that TCD. Great insight on the draft day and how the recruiters were planning who to get.

Great write up.:thumbsu:

Great to have a doggie supporter in a senior footy writer position at the Herald Sun (Mark Stevens). He does a heap of stories on the dogs and they're always spot on.

That is a magnificent read.

So interesting that Clayton expected Rance to go a lot higher than eighteen. Had Richmond not taken Rance at 18, it seems as though we would have.

I also think Callan Ward is a beauty, but it would have been even better to have nabbed Rance in the NAB Draft.

I also googled Easton Wood's athletic results, and they are indeed quite impressive. First in the state for triple jump, fourth in long jump and six in high jump. He could only manage 11th in the 400m, but his heat time was four seconds quicker than the time he clocked in the final.

If an umpire ever said this these days, he'd be suspended for life.

"Ironically, the Bulldogs only ever won one game under me as a league umpire. I must be honest, the day that they did I got quite excited," he says.

Great to have a doggie supporter in a senior footy writer position at the Herald Sun (Mark Stevens). He does a heap of stories on the dogs and they're always spot on.

He has a pretty good job doesn't he. The bulk of his articles are written about the team he passionately supports. How easy a job would that be?

You turn up to work Monday morning and the boss sends you down to Whitten Oval to watch training and interview a couple of players and then you write a report about it....and you get paid.. Where do I sign up???

Excellent read.

The Rance thing was quite interesting. If he did slip to 19, he along with Grant could have provided us with excellent bookends for the next decade or so.

However, im still very happy with the selection of Ward. :thumbsu:

The Rance thing was quite interesting. If he did slip to 19, he along with Grant could have provided us with excellent bookends for the next decade or so.

However, im still very happy with the selection of Ward. :thumbsu:

I think our tall defenders still look ok. We still have Harris, Williams and Everitt with possible help from Wight and McDougall.

What we do lack a little is mid's with good foot skills. Hopefully Ward can add to this in time.

I wished the dog had chosen Rance at pick 5 instead off great

As awesome as your Zombie thread revival is, it's not nearly as awesome as your contribution to it.

Congratulations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back