Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1972320
James Franco Flirt GIF

I think this is what they used to call a 'paid endorsement'.
Norman...the highly paid Saudi apologist who answered a question about human rights and Kashoggi with "everyone makes mistakes"

Haha - Labor might've got away with the 'broken promise' on the Stage 3 Tax Cuts, but even a Peter Dutton could lead the Coalition to victory if they reneged on this one, as per this speculation:

Push to delay stage 3 tax cuts​

Sticking to the planned rollout of the Albanese government’s stage three tax cuts risks further fuelling inflation, making the RBA’s job more difficult, and their delay should be considered, leading economists have cautioned.

Amid resurgent price pressures, Labor’s tax cuts which commence on July 1 will pump billions of dollars of additional spending into the economy by providing households with a cumulative $20bn over the next financial year.

Speaking on Wednesday, Impact Economics and Policy lead economist Angela Jackson said while the Albanese government’s fiscal policy to date had avoided adding to demand, the forthcoming stage three tax cuts posed a “real challenge” to inflation.

“Would you be calling for the stage three tax cuts right now if they weren’t in the budget? Absolutely, no way,” Dr Jackson told the National Press Club.

Full Article

Haha - Labor might've got away with the 'broken promise' on the Stage 3 Tax Cuts, but even a Peter Dutton could lead the Coalition to victory if they reneged on this one, as per this speculation:

Push to delay stage 3 tax cuts​

Sticking to the planned rollout of the Albanese government’s stage three tax cuts risks further fuelling inflation, making the RBA’s job more difficult, and their delay should be considered, leading economists have cautioned.

Amid resurgent price pressures, Labor’s tax cuts which commence on July 1 will pump billions of dollars of additional spending into the economy by providing households with a cumulative $20bn over the next financial year.

Speaking on Wednesday, Impact Economics and Policy lead economist Angela Jackson said while the Albanese government’s fiscal policy to date had avoided adding to demand, the forthcoming stage three tax cuts posed a “real challenge” to inflation.

“Would you be calling for the stage three tax cuts right now if they weren’t in the budget? Absolutely, no way,” Dr Jackson told the National Press Club.

Full Article
That's not a push, that's a whingeing economist who might make a dollar or two if the RBA increases interest rates by 0.25% earlier than expected or delays dropping them by 0.25% by a few months.

SA Liberals have called for the SA Electoral Commission to change the boundaries of marginal seats in their favour to promote a “more vibrant” state election in 2026, while Labor argues there’s no urgent need for change.

I agree SA electors need a 'more vibrant' set of choices at the next SA election - but not from rigging electoral boundaries to suit politicians but from getting offering 'more vibrant' policy choices between the parties.

Malinauskas is looking way too comfortable as Premier for my liking and is resorting to the old trick of using taxpayers money to buy big events and feel good short term announcements rather than sustainable policies that make a difference for those doing it tough. Of course he sees there's no need for change - he is running rings around the Libs atm.

The time is ripe for a 'vibrant' opposition leader who not only holds Mali to account but offers something different and a bold vision for change. David Spiers, who has spent his whole working life as an SA public servant, political adviser and politician, is not that leader.

SA Liberals have called for the SA Electoral Commission to change the boundaries of marginal seats in their favour to promote a “more vibrant” state election in 2026, while Labor argues there’s no urgent need for change.

I agree SA electors need a 'more vibrant' set of choices at the next SA election - but not from rigging electoral boundaries to suit politicians but from getting offering 'more vibrant' policy choices between the parties.

Malinauskas is looking way too comfortable as Premier for my liking and is resorting to the old trick of using taxpayers money to buy big events and feel good short term announcements rather than sustainable policies that make a difference for those doing it tough. Of course he sees there's no need for change - he is running rings around the Libs atm.

The time is ripe for a 'vibrant' opposition leader who not only holds Mali to account but offers something different and a bold vision for change. David Spiers, who has spent his whole working life as an SA public servant, political adviser and politician, is not that leader.

I dunno, Mali has
  • Abolished stamp duty for FHO
  • Building new schools
  • More hospital beds
  • Mobile ban in schools
  • Opening Tech Colleges
  • Networking with business and governments from around the world to ensure SA gets awarded contracts
  • Big sporting events so there is something to do
Liberals will just sell what they can, axe what they can, give money to their mates to 'build things' and then blame everything on Labor.

The SA media is making a big noise over the projected 44 billion future debt resulting from this year's Mulligan State Budget.

What do they expect? If they want projects like a new Women & Children's Hospital, the completion of the north/south transport corridor, expansions to Noarlunga, Lyell McEwen and QEH hospitals plus early childhood education for three year olds they surely have to expect to pay for it. The Murdoch Press is muck raking as usual but the ABC joining the hue and cry is disappointing.

I am not Peter Malinauskas' greatest fan but it seems everyone wants improvements to services and infrastructure but no one wants to pay the piper. I will gleefully accept the $244 in my bank account and will not be rushing to give it back. It will help off set those those rising electricity bills that both State and Federal Governments told me were not going to happen.

The SA media is making a big noise over the projected 44 billion future debt resulting from this year's Mulligan State Budget.

What do they expect? If they want projects like a new Women & Children's Hospital, the completion of the north/south transport corridor, expansions to Noarlunga, Lyell McEwen and QEH hospitals plus early childhood education for three year olds they surely have to expect to pay for it. The Murdoch Press is muck raking as usual but the ABC joining the hue and cry is disappointing.

I am not Peter Malinauskas' greatest fan but it seems everyone wants improvements to services and infrastructure but no one wants to pay the piper. I will gleefully accept the $244 in my bank account and will not be rushing to give it back. It will help off set those those rising electricity bills that both State and Federal Governments told me were not going to happen.

Yep. A business or government spreading the cost of major long term investments over their lifetime via borrowings rather then via one off current year recurrent expenditure makes economic sense. Especially if interest rates are at relatively low levels.

What matters is the future capacity to pay and to limit the impact of future debt payments on future operations/generations if and when interest rates rise or future income raising capacity falls.

But there's also the other matter of whether there are other areas of government spending - funded by borrowings and/or taxation - that are being wasted on unnecessary projects that would be better spent on long term infrastructure like roads and hospitals.

But as you say, good luck getting any decent in depth analysis of these issues from the local media, including from the ABC. The SA arm of the ABC no longer seems to take critical political journalism seriously. Its highly competent former SA News Editor Nick Harmsen, left the ABC last year for better paid employment as the head of Premier's Media Unit.

In fact most of the better SA journalists are no longer employed in the local media but seek better pay and job security in working for Ministers, Govt departments or statutory bodies as spin doctors. So our local media simply lacks the capacity and the will to do proper analysis. As a result they regurgitate the media releases of politicians without scrutiny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We all know it tastes like shit but it's been confirmed Adelaide has some of the worst quality water in Australia - and exceeds new US water safety standards for drinking water by four times for the known carcinogenic compound perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) .

Expect this issue to get a bit of airplay in the media over coming days. Been like this for decades so any affect would have been well seated in our bodies by now so carry on.

(Edit: Maybe justification for a new COLA for players coming to SA based teams?)

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 6.42.54 AM.png

Last edited:
We all know it tastes like shit but it's been confirmed Adelaide has some of the worst quality water in Australia - and exceeds new US water safety standards for drinking water by four times for the known carcinogenic compound perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) .

Expect this issue to get a bit of airplay in the media over coming days. Been like this for decades so any affect would have been well seated in our bodies by now so carry on.

(Edit: Maybe justification for a new COLA for players coming to SA based teams?)

View attachment 2016598

Surely there's more up to date water quality data than 2011?

Surely there's more up to date water quality data than 2011?
It's the most comprehensive nation-wide data that is publicly accessible. As the story states:

'Various water providers have carried out their own localised surveillance in recent years, which confirms the chemicals are still turning up in some of the same locations they were first found in 2011, in some instances at even higher concentrations.'

'However, this masthead wasn’t able to locate any further widespread studies of Australian tap water funded by Commonwealth agencies since the 2011 study.'

I'm sure that SA Water has access to much more recent detailed analysis of water quality across the metro area.

View attachment 2016598

Not sure what the go is now, but back in the late 2000s Adelaide was one of two ports in the world where cruise liners would not restock with local water.

That's politics for you- the ALP Governments in Victoria and in Western Australia recommended the lock down kings Dan Andrews and Mark McGowan for King's Birthday gongs citing their leadership during the Covid pandemic. Meanwhile in South Australia the ALP Government was not moved to recommend former Liberal Premier Stephen Marshall for his leadership during the same crisis. I guess Stephen will have to wait until the Libs are elected to get a gong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back