Domestic Violence Epidemic

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the country’s in a mess too but I haven’t been watching everywhere my partner goes, forced them to have sex, punched their face in or killed them. We need to label DV for what it is, domestic violence.

Of course it is, and we need to get moving on the immediate solutions right now, as I said.

But violence is a symptom of deeper problems like anger and rage. It’s very societal and economic.

For the first time in this country as we know it (since European colonisation), we are handing the next generation an inferior way of life. An inferior way of life will lead to greater anger and violence. That’s just basic. Go back through the centuries. Times of mass poverty were brutal. All crime soars in poor communities. People tear down the world around them.

It’s the long term equation but as this continues, crime and violence will increase. People increasingly turn to alcohol and drugs as an escape, which is another driver of violence.

Of course it is, and we need to get moving on the immediate solutions right now, as I said.

But violence is a symptom of deeper problems like anger and rage. It’s very societal and economic.

For the first time in this country as we know it (since European colonisation), we are handing the next generation an inferior way of life. An inferior way of life will lead to greater anger and violence. That’s just basic. Go back through the centuries. Times of mass poverty were brutal. All crime soars in poor communities. People tear down the world around them.

It’s the long term equation but as this continues, crime and violence will increase.
I agree that these can all be contibrutors to anger and I understand where you’re coming from. There is always going to be things that make people angry. We can’t blame our anger on committing domestic violence. Perpetrators of DV need to stand up and take responsibility for their actions because when they land in court the judge is going to want to see them own up to their behaviour and is not going to accept ‘but I was angry because of this or that.’

There’s some good discussion on hyper masculinity about 20 minutes in to this podcast
This message needs to be repackaged in a way that young men will listen to it
Then once re Packaged delivered by influential males

Football clubs could play a big part in this

We can’t blame our anger on committing domestic violence. Perpetrators of DV need to stand up and take responsibility for their actions because when they land in court the judge is going to want to see them own up to their behaviour and is not going to accept ‘but I was angry because of this or that.’

I didn't get the sense he was saying it was an excuse, moreso that understanding the underlying causes - and removing them - will reduce the numbers of people reaching the point of violence.

We know that rates of DV are higher in certain segments of the community, it's probably not because those segments are all simply bad people, but because of <reasons>. Knowing what those reasons are, and doing things to change / reduce / or otherwise impact those things, will likely result in less instances of DV.

Obviously this also need to be accompanied with other strategies like reversing the presumption of bail for certain high risk offences (and therefore offenders) since that seems to be a extremely common link in these cases; someone already known to the police, that's already been charged, that's already got an IVO against them, that's out on bail.

I agree that these can all be contibrutors to anger and I understand where you’re coming from. There is always going to be things that make people angry. We can’t blame our anger on committing domestic violence. Perpetrators of DV need to stand up and take responsibility for their actions because when they land in court the judge is going to want to see them own up to their behaviour and is not going to accept ‘but I was angry because of this or that.’

We don’t have to accept it and most often we shouldn’t, but people aren’t born angry, full of rage or violent. We are products of our environment.

Poverty and inequality are major drivers of crime and violence. When people are surrounded by shit they start tearing it down.

Alcohol and substance abuse are also a factor in many DV cases. Problems users use them as a crutch or an escape. They’re out of their heads, and the trouble starts.

People have got to understand and remember that there is are non-economic consequences of an economically unequal society. Throughout history, the far right-wing / neo-fascist response to this has been simple… just round up the troublemakers and shoot them or put them in camps. Because the alternative would involve sharing wealth.

It’s a long-term, global issue but history is clear: it drives violence.

We don’t have to accept it and most often we shouldn’t, but people aren’t born angry, full of rage or violent. We are products of our environment.

Poverty and inequality are major drivers of crime and violence. When people are surrounded by s**t they start tearing it down.

Alcohol and substance abuse are also a factor in many DV cases. Problems users use them as a crutch or an escape. They’re out of their heads, and the trouble starts.

People have got to understand and remember that there is are non-economic consequences of an economically unequal society. Throughout history, the far right-wing / neo-fascist response to this has been simple… just round up the troublemakers and shoot them or put them in camps. Because the alternative would involve sharing wealth.

It’s a long-term, global issue but history is clear: it drives violence.
I agree no one is born angry and we need to understand what makes people angry and I’ve discussed in previous posts the importance of early/adult education.
I might have misunderstood the bottom part of your post and I apologise if I did as I personally saw a focus on why everyone’s so angry.
My comment more related to, if we are going to focus on education for children/adults, it’s not only important to understand the issues that make people angry but how we manage that anger (including alcohol/drug abuse) in a positive way, make better choices and understand the consequences if we don’t manage that anger in a positive way and accept responsibility/consequences, as it goes hand in hand.

I agree no one is born angry and we need to understand what makes people angry and I’ve discussed in previous posts the importance of early/adult education.
I might have misunderstood the bottom part of your post and I apologise if I did as I personally saw a focus on why everyone’s so angry.
My comment more related to, if we are going to focus on education for children/adults, it’s not only important to understand the issues that make people angry but how we manage that anger (including alcohol/drug abuse) in a positive way, make better choices and understand the consequences if we don’t manage that anger in a positive way and accept responsibility/consequences, as it goes hand in hand.

Yeah I hear ya. It is a very narrow path to tread between being seen to excuse offenders, and genuinely addressing root causes.

So it doesn't get addressed - the wider you go with a message, the less complexity and nuance you can include. So politicians are the kings of this. They know they can't cut through with any nuance or complexity - or it is difficult to - which is why our politics is reduced to three-word buzz phrases and soundbites.

The professional political communications trolls reduce everything down to three-word phrases... and then the "commentators" praise them for great politics and "strength of message"... "cutting through!"... "great retail politics!"... when really all they're trying to do is con people into thinking that very complex issues are dead simple.

Self responsibility is important but it's also pedalled most often by lying politicians because it plays so well in this sense. It's simple, and it appeals to everybody as everybody considers themself to be responsible. I can do it, why can't others!? Punish them, it's what they deserve and it will deter others who aren't responsible like me!

Despite the fact that in many settings, punishment as a deterrent has been shown not to work at all.

So it all gets back to what the aim is - do we want to deal with it (ie punish etc)... or do we actually want to STOP it? This year there'll be boys born, and in 20-40 years some of them will commit domestic violence. Do we want to prepare to whack him as hard as we can... or would we actually prefer it NEVER even happens at all?

The issue is that politicians so rarely want to make a difference and actually fix something. They don't. They want to win votes. That's it.

A more recent iteration of this trend is politicians not just doing nothing, but ACTIVELY working to maintain the status quo... because the consequences of doing something are always that it might go wrong - hence it's a risk that might cost me votes as the other team can weaponise it.

It's an interesting point we're at. Politicians used to say something, yet do nothing. Now they often say nothing, but are ACTIVELY trying to do the opposite. Because the current political conditions suit them and they don't want anything to change. Many of the new measures announced in this week's budget illustrate exactly that. Take home ownership - politicians will say they're trying to make homes more affordable. They're not. In fact, the measures they employ so often make them less affordable, and they know it. That's okay. They're used to that, and they can always turn people against each other if they need to.

Anyway, I’m off topic. But while we have this kind of political and media environment, things will not be fixed. Including domestic violence.

I'm optimistic that the liberalisation of information and media will have a positive effect... it already has. But there's a long, long way to go.

If still in doubt that this is an epidemic/crisis:

Up to 100 women seeking support in escaping family violence are being turned away each week from Western Australia's community legal centres, which are set to run out of funding next year.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...ices-forced-to-turn-away-dv-victims/103847122
Please (professionals concerned about being seen to be critical of the hand that feeds them and their organisations) stop using language that appears to severely under-represent the severity and magnitude of the issue.

'Dr Gray said Women's Legal Service centres across the country were concerned clients were falling through the cracks.

Yeah I hear ya. It is a very narrow path to tread between being seen to excuse offenders, and genuinely addressing root causes.

So it doesn't get addressed - the wider you go with a message, the less complexity and nuance you can include. So politicians are the kings of this. They know they can't cut through with any nuance or complexity - or it is difficult to - which is why our politics is reduced to three-word buzz phrases and soundbites.

The professional political communications trolls reduce everything down to three-word phrases... and then the "commentators" praise them for great politics and "strength of message"... "cutting through!"... "great retail politics!"... when really all they're trying to do is con people into thinking that very complex issues are dead simple.

Self responsibility is important but it's also pedalled most often by lying politicians because it plays so well in this sense. It's simple, and it appeals to everybody as everybody considers themself to be responsible. I can do it, why can't others!? Punish them, it's what they deserve and it will deter others who aren't responsible like me!

Despite the fact that in many settings, punishment as a deterrent has been shown not to work at all.

So it all gets back to what the aim is - do we want to deal with it (ie punish etc)... or do we actually want to STOP it? This year there'll be boys born, and in 20-40 years some of them will commit domestic violence. Do we want to prepare to whack him as hard as we can... or would we actually prefer it NEVER even happens at all?

The issue is that politicians so rarely want to make a difference and actually fix something. They don't. They want to win votes. That's it.

A more recent iteration of this trend is politicians not just doing nothing, but ACTIVELY working to maintain the status quo... because the consequences of doing something are always that it might go wrong - hence it's a risk that might cost me votes as the other team can weaponise it.

It's an interesting point we're at. Politicians used to say something, yet do nothing. Now they often say nothing, but are ACTIVELY trying to do the opposite. Because the current political conditions suit them and they don't want anything to change. Many of the new measures announced in this week's budget illustrate exactly that. Take home ownership - politicians will say they're trying to make homes more affordable. They're not. In fact, the measures they employ so often make them less affordable, and they know it. That's okay. They're used to that, and they can always turn people against each other if they need to.

Anyway, I’m off topic. But while we have this kind of political and media environment, things will not be fixed. Including domestic violence.

I'm optimistic that the liberalisation of information and media will have a positive effect... it already has. But there's a long, long way to go.
Yes, a bit of self reflection (politicians/all people) goes a long way...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
At least a 3 week delay in the Parliamentary debate of the NSW Bail law proposed by Labour amendments that were tabled in parliament a few days ago. (NSW Parliament is not sitting again for another 3 weeks).

'16/05/2024 5:25 AM / 09:50'

All the privilege and good fortune in the world, and yet...

NRL player Taylan May arrested and charged with domestic violence offences​

Penrith Panthers winger Taylan May has been arrested and charged with domestic violence offences. In a statement, NSW Police said the centre was alleged to have punched a woman known to him during an argument in April.

"About 5am today (Saturday 18 May 2024), officers attached to Nepean Police Area Command arrested a 22-year-old man at an address at Penrith, in relation to an alleged domestic violence incident which occurred last month," NSW Police said.

"Police were told about 9pm on Monday 8 April 2024, the man allegedly assaulted a woman known to him during an argument at a home in Werrington.

"It is alleged he punched her in the face and leg."

Mr May has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm (DV), and two counts of stalk/intimidate intend fear physical etc harm (DV). He was granted bail and will appear before Penrith Local Court on Tuesday, May 28.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...ged-with-domestic-violence-offences/103865278

Increasing rates of teen sexual assault could be contributing to rising adolescent mental health problems​

Figures from the landmark Australian Child Maltreatment study show peer-on-peer sexual assault is on the rise with nearly one in five young people aged 16 to 24 having been sexually assaulted by another teen.

• 13.2 per cent were abused by another teen they knew
  • 5.7 per cent were assaulted by a current or former romantic partner
Those aged 16 to 24 were three times more likely to report being sexually assaulted by a current or former partner as teens than those aged over 45.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/teen-sexual-assault-mental-health-problems/103873228

Victorian mother found guilty of forcing daughter to marry man who murdered her​

• In short: Shepparton woman Sakina Muhammad Jan was found guilty of coercing her daughter Ruqia Haidari into marrying Perth man Mohammad Ali Halimi in November 2019.
  • Ms Haidari, then aged 21, was killed by her new husband six weeks after their wedding.
  • What's next? Ms Muhammad Jan was released on bail ahead of a pre-sentence hearing in July.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/forced-marriage-shepparton-perth-guilty/103885642

"The 63-year-old man visited a home on Berkeley Crescent in Floreat on Friday afternoon looking for his ex-wife, but instead found the 59-year-old owner of the property and her teenage daughter.

The ABC understands the gunman's former partner, who was a good friend of the family, had warned the women the man would be coming to the house, and told them to hide.

Detective Inspector Gorton said the gunman was known to police, but he did not have a history of violence, and was a licensed firearm owner in the state of WA.

Detective Inspector Gorton said investigations into the incident were ongoing, but it was not being treated as a domestic violence matter due to the victims being unrelated to the gunman."

So very wrong.
This should be called domestic violence by the WAPOL.
He was hunting down his wife with a gun.
That he then killed two other people as well as himself in the act of committing domestic violence.
Call it for what it is.

I half expect that the panel will advise that until the housing, general cost of living, and availability of health and social services professionals massively increases in Australia, things will likely only get worse when it comes to family related crimes of all flavours and colours (perpetrated by men/women/adult children/siblings), and that all that can be done is to try and reduce the rate and severity of the increases

'Expert panel to tell government how to prevent violence against women and children

'...In a recent paper in collaboration with Michael Salter, Hill highlighted that across multiple metrics the current approach to prevention — focusing very heavily on increasing gender equality — had failed to reduce or prevent violence.

"It has achieved only marginal improvements to community attitudes over the past decade," they said.
...'

Detective Inspector Gorton said the gunman was known to police, but he did not have a history of violence,

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 2.58.46 PM.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back