Draft/Trade 2019-Carlton's Greatest

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
I am calling it now after 3 games. The combined draft and trade period of 2019 will go down as Carltons greatest in its history.
Martin - For nothing
Pittonet - Phillips
Honey - Rookie but special
Philips- another rookie who looks like he will make it
Philp- Future looks bright
Kemp- Salivating
Eddie- knows how to win
Ramsay- Looks good.
Newnes- some vanilla with the chocolate

All this has been done with all draft picks in hand for 2020.

Our only draft loss was SoS who engineered this result.

Will take a loooong time to work through all the players and see if they make it on a career basis.

Value for money (picks) sees 2019 win hands down. Total value has 2015 ahead at this stage.

At least we have had some good trade periods close together so we can build towards something special, not just paper over cracks in the list.

I am calling it now after 3 games. The combined draft and trade period of 2019 will go down as Carltons greatest in its history.
Martin - For nothing
Pittonet - Phillips
Kemp- Salivating
Eddie- knows how to win
Ramsay- Looks good.

I hope so
But i reckon 1986 might have it covered lol.....(kernahan, bradley, Motley. Just for the moment anyway :p)

Martin - For nothing
Pittonet - Phillips
Kemp- Salivating
Eddie- knows how to win
Ramsay- Looks good.

This sounds like a pre-season thread where we list players from 5 years ago and say how better our team is now - 5 years later same players listed as good are mentioned as rubbish

I hope so
But i reckon 1986 might have it covered lol.....(kernahan, bradley, Motley. Just for the moment anyway :p)

There's a bloke who came third in a Brownlow you're forgetting ;) :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin - For nothing
Pittonet - Phillips
Kemp- Salivating
Eddie- knows how to win
Ramsay- Looks good.

This may be unfair, but your post seems uncharacteristically positive, MJ.

I can hardly recall you ever saying anything positive about the club.

Is your bullishness on the 2019 crop a back-handed way for you to criticise the club over SOS's departure?

This may be unfair, but your post seems uncharacteristically positive, MJ.

Maybe he calls it as he sees it.

There's justifiable reasons why people have been bullish and refused to believe in the progress the club has made.

The Geelong win was an eye opener for many. For them it wasn't just one of a few insignificant wins in the second half of the season when our season was already decided. It was a must win game against a team who consistently flies through the home and away season.

Further, it was a reason for them to have hope in the process and to see that A) we got a steal in Jack Martin; B) we finally got a ruck in Pittonet who works bloody hard and isn't made of string cheese; C) We finally righted the wrong that was Eddie leaving; and D) its the first group of kids who weren't drafted with super high picks that are showing signs of being worth something (until now you can argue that Fisher's 2018 season was the only real glimmer of prolonged hope not drafted in the top 20 due to Cuningham's persistent injuries).

The hope is real and the naysayers have had their eyes opened.

I can't tell if this OP is serious, taking the piss out of Carlton's horrendous draft history, or just a parody overall

4 of the players recruited have played in an AFL match:
- Martin - playing good football
- Pittonet - looking like a solid but not world-beating ruck. Absolutely towelled up by Max Gawn, managed to smash (checks notes) Rhys Stanley before being shadowed by Esava Ratugolea (let's not pop the champagne on this one yet)
- Eddie; well past his prime, but fun for the fans at least and managed to help jag us a actual real-life win!
- Newnes; Has managed to become our new favourite whipping boy and in every 'who should be dropped this week' conversation 3 weeks in, which might make his the least impressive debut since Liam Sumner. I actually think he plays his role well enough, though.

5 of the players listed have yet to play a VFL match, let alone the real thing. One of those (described as 'salivating') is in recovery from an ACL injury, so this is apparently based on his instagram feed?

And yet, by Carlton standards, one decent midfield/forward, a backup ruckman who doesn't trip over his own feet, a 33 year old forward pocket and a collection of 'hopefuls' and whipping boys might actually already be in our top 5 draft/recruiting periods of all time, so yeah - definite potential for it to be our best 'ever'.

All I'm saying is that after 20 years of being ninja-kicked in the butt repeatedly by the club, if you think you see a $2 coin on the ground in the carpark at Princes Park be careful before you bend over to pick it up...

You have to look at things from the point of view of what we traded out and the hand we had going into the draft.

Trade:
Brought in Pittonet for a trade of low picks
Betts for a future fourth round pick
Martin for nothing
Newnes for nothing

Draft:
We had the lower pick #9 after the swap of picks with Adelaide last year that netted us Stocker and no second round pick
Picked up Kemp @ #17
Picked up Philp @ #20

RD:
Got Honey

We walked into the trade/draft period with a very weak hand. Reckon we did very well, all considered.

better than 2015?

weiters
charlie
hazza
cunners
jsos
plowman

This could well be a conversation down the track. I still have 2015 in front, primarily because we got Weiters and Charlie.
But lets have another look at this in a few years time, and it could be a different story.

It’s a funny one because 2015 is amazing but pick 1 alone would probably get you two picks better then 9, let alone having all those other top end picks so who knows 2019 could be, but it’s bloody early.
Even 2013 where we only traded out Hampson, started with pick 13 and walked away with Doc, Cripps and Holman was pretty great. I’d be happily surprised if this years haul is more valuable then 2013.

Willo is our best value for money pick in SOSs time, but I am looking forward to seeing what Honey can do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back