Autopsy Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like an explanation as why if Freddy is back we have to carry the other one?

Both should be punted. Get Sturt, Delean or Simpson in

You need forward pressure.

I don't see Emmett getting dropped, until someone in the WAFL can bring the same pressure and takes his spot.

I don’t see how you’re dropping Emmett before Walters though based on form. I can’t think of a single good thing Sonny did all game but I can think of a couple from Emmett.
Walters gets manned better than Emmett. Collingwood's main stopper - Maynard - was on him most of the night. I don't think the opposition bother putting any time into Emmett.

Walters gets manned better than Emmett. Collingwood's main stopper - Maynard - was on him most of the night. I don't think the opposition bother putting any time into Emmett.

Opposition don’t want Walters getting any space because he is lethal kicking into the f50. If our other small forwards were worth anything it would be a lot more useful

You need forward pressure.

I don't see Emmett getting dropped, until someone in the WAFL can bring the same pressure and takes his spot.

Not sure he really brings that much pressure. He runs around like a headless chook. Can over commit as well and get stepped.

The net effect of replacing him with Sturt would be maybe 1 or 2 less tackles, but 3 or 4 better attempts at executing a score.

Emmett's pressure is agricultural at best. Can't think of too many occasions where he's created a forward turnover that has resulted in a goal.
I can think of his tackle in the middle of the ground vs Dogs? Maybe? that was at a crucial moment and lead to a goal, but yeah, really hard to think of any others.

Emmett's pressure is agricultural at best. Can't think of too many occasions where he's created a forward turnover that has resulted in a goal.

There’s some stuff he does that does go unnoticed.
The Sharp soccer goal was a result of Emmett just running a straight line through the ball.
He’s involved in some chains.
But he can completely mess up the easy plays.
Missed shot on goal when that should be bread and butter for a forward… they then went coast to coast for a goal.
Obviously that complete coach killer on the wing.
Can get run down. Hard hand balls.

But I’d rather a goal scorer.

I’d like an explanation as why if Freddy is back we have to carry the other one?

Both should be punted. Get Sturt, Delean or Simpson in
Delean is just barely scrapping by v mature agers in state league. The next step up would be incredibly daunting. He’s not close to AFL level, probably not this season.

It was sad seeing Schulz struggle all game. He just doesn’t gel with Collingwood. He would be perfect for us atm. But what can you do.

I don’t see how you’re dropping Emmett before Walters though based on form. I can’t think of a single good thing Sonny did all game but I can think of a couple from Emmett.
Problem is Emmett isn’t the only one.
Switkowski has survived this season and last getting by on his ‘pressure’ alone.
Until he was thrown inside mid, he was invisible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is Emmett isn’t the only one.
Switkowski has survived this season and last getting by on his ‘pressure’ alone.
Until he was thrown inside mid, he was invisible.
At least when Switta is getting it he can make things happen, he's still a level above the other two at the moment. As Taylor said, the best you can hope for when Walters get it at the moment is a stoppage. Emmett just can not be relied on to do anything but pressure.

Something that struck me was the inexperienced guys in the backline going wide when exiting D50 without looking or just instinctually. Draper especially and Walker a couple of times. That's the sort of inexperience that makes a massive difference. Going wide makes it much easier for the Pies to defend.

Cox in for Draper will make a massive difference with that stuff. Stoked Draper has gotten some proper AFL looks though. Should find Peel a bit easier when he goes back.

Was at the game last night. Now watching the replay and it’s obvious how many times Pies use little tactics to delay giving ball back.
There’s one where Bobby Hill fists the ball miles into the crowd when it’s clearly crossed the line for a behind.
The one against Ryan cost them a 50m penalty.
It’s clearly a little thing they do.

They didn’t remonstrate heavily. They knew they stuffed up.
the more you **** around the more you’re going to find out

I thought Wagner was pretty good. I think we should target a quick mid, who can break lines when everyone else is tired.

I'm with you all the way. Love his dash and low/fast/piercing kicks. Wags showed a lot of confidence and drive for a for a guy that hasn't played all year. We need the attitude of players like him, Banners and Sharpy that don't second guess but back themselves under pressure, it creates ripples for the rest of the players and ball movement suddenly improves.

Delean and Simpson are no where near it. It’s as simple as that. Once they start to put some consistent form together in the WAFL then they can be considered. But at this point they would offer less than Emmett and Walters and that says a lot.
There is a difference - Walters is the past, Simpson or Someone Else is the future. Who knows what might happen if we gave Sturt a decent run at it? - and his body held up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back