E-Books

Remove this Banner Ad

I've downloaded a few Project Gutenberg books in years past but reading them in 2002 on a low-res HP iPaq left me cold.

I started reading a book on a friend's iPad (he was stuck in Goodna during the floods so I purloined it while guarding our electricity-deprived house) and I'm hooked. It is very, very good for a person with kids running around - you can snatch a few minutes here and there (a couple of H. P. Lovecraft poems fill small amounts of free time) without having to walk around the house searching for one of the books you're half way through.

I downloaded iBooks and Stanza on my iPhone, and also the free Calibre ebook manager to my PC. Ever since, I have been absorbing the internet's free ebooks. I am afraid it will be another obsessive quest to get entire bibliographies - I've already got Arthur Conan Doyle's collection among others. Right now I'm reading Sherlock Holmes from the beginning, when Holmes and Watson were young men just moving into Baker Street.

Reading ebooks on the iPhone has cured me of one of my bad habits: skim reading through some of the denser descriptive texts or suspenseful build-ups. Just up the font size and you're forced to go slower. You naturally read slower from a screen than a page in any case. With screen resolution getting better all the time, the text is smoother and easier to read than ever.

Paper books are still great, but convenience, not to mention the free entertainment from out of copyright classics, make ebooks a big winner.

Two Thumbs Up :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Getting my iPad in a couple of months. Looking foward to reading on it. Will be travelling a lot lighter when I get it. Can't wait.

2011 is the year I get an e-book reader. If I don't get a Kindle soon, I'll have a look at iPad 2. Although I'd really like a colour Kindle.

The thought of actual paper books these days makes me sigh.

Got a Kindle, love it.

Loved it even more when I found out how to remove the DRM protection from books purchased at the Kobo store and convert to MOBI. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back