Player Watch Edward Allan

Remove this Banner Ad

If they were a top 4 side I’d agree…

But the side is 2-3 with a % in the 80s

There are several players who could be omitted so as to blood some kids

Starting with the players who are 30 plus…

cause these players aren’t carrying us to our next premiership

Maybe when they likely lose to port on Saturday… more people will begin to understand the need to regenerate… starting this year
i don't think its an either/or situation. We can blood kids gradually without a material impact on competitiveness.

i don't think its an either/or situation. We can blood kids gradually without a material impact on competitiveness.
Probably true if we're talking about flanks, but there are some roles that you've just got to be competitive - hence the salary difference between flankers and mids/kpfs.

They played 2 players with under 50 games vs hawks… and barely got over the line against a team that had several more players with 50 games or less

I’d rather they gradually phase out some of the over 30s… free up decent cap in the process… and put more game time into the kids

No good playing all of the veterans this year… in the blind hope of finishing 8th and miraculously winning a flag from there…

And then falling off a cliff in 2025-26 because they clung onto their veterans too long like WC did

They played 2 players with under 50 games vs hawks… and barely got over the line against a team that had several more players with 50 games or less

I’d rather they gradually phase out some of the over 30s… free up decent cap in the process… and put more game time into the kids

No good playing all of the veterans this year… in the blind hope of finishing 8th and miraculously winning a flag from there…

And then falling off a cliff in 2025-26 because they clung onto their veterans too long like WC did
I cant agree with your premise that we'll finish so poorly.
And by extension that the season is effectively gone.

I can. We keep hearing stuff like Naicos’ comments yesterday or any of Fly’s through the first 6 weeks then see a massive disconnect on field. It’s hard to ignore.

For me it’s as simple as we aren’t going to qualify like we did in 2023 so it’s better to reference 2022. Even then it was a cliffhanger to finish top 4 and relied on an 11 match winning streak mid season. I may not agree with anyone writing us off, but I get it.
I haven’t written us off, but I am waiting for the change to make us click like we did in 2022. That year it was Murphy coming in for Madgen. If we make the finals in a similar fashion this season I think we’re a better chance to go all the way then two years ago.

Some people are so quick to write players off.

Allan is literally 19. Frampton was never going to make it up until 26 years of age. He's now a premiership player and the our most improved player this season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ah but by the BigFooty clock, 19 is closer to 30 than 18 so they’re not making it. We shouldn’t let facts stand in the way of criticising player development.

He had a late growth spurt did he not?

His dad was only 182cm.

This season to gain further confidence and experience, another preseason to fill out that frame, then hopefully it all clicks and he realises he's got the combination of speed and physical size to monster a lot of midfield opponents.

Watching Long last Sunday and I was most impressed by the fact he isn't just a big midfielder on the stat sheet, he actually uses it with intent and hopefully that is the next stage in the evolution of Ed as a player.

Tracking well, people just need a little patience as he's only a few games into his 2nd season.

He had a late growth spurt did he not?

His dad was only 182cm.

This season to gain further confidence and experience, another preseason to fill out that frame, then hopefully it all clicks and he realises he's got the combination of speed and physical size to monster a lot of midfield opponents.

Watching Long last Sunday and I was most impressed by the fact he isn't just a big midfielder on the stat sheet, he actually uses it with intent and hopefully that is the next stage in the evolution of Ed as a player.

Tracking well, people just need a little patience as he's only a few games into his 2nd season.

Remember Josh Daicos took awhile to come good but when he did is was Huge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A highish draft pick will normally always get 4 years, so it could just be a money saving thing.

Sign him up when he's struggling so he accepts less money

I feel like they signed him up for 4 years so early on, he didn’t have time to struggle!

Is Ed looking likely to be senior player in a year or so or was the initial excitement overhyped?
God knows. He's going to have awesome attributes, but a lot of development is needed above the shoulders for him to use his attributes effectively. Fingers crossed.

God knows. He's going to have awesome attributes, but a lot of development is needed above the shoulders

He's travelling well stats wise. Tackles, center clearances.
Dunno what many others here see.
Also playing on the wing often.
He's a inside midfielder

IMO Allan should get a run in the seniors at some point this year before the bye

Still developing, prone to a clanger at times… but his VFL numbers are good. And he has size and run that projects well for AFL level

beyond Allan… the pies played 6 200 game plus players vs hawks - the most of any team last week

And only 2 players with less than 50 games - the least of any team

The team needs to regenerate

… and sometimes that means promoting kids a touch early in order to broaden their development

I remember the pies sticking with Maynard early… just pumped games into him despite his early brain fades… because the saw the ability and talent

Coaches need to focus more on who is going to be in the next top 4 Collingwood team… because with the current team they are not remotely there
Yeah some players just need to be elevated. I don’t think it would do any harm for him to be playing a block of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back