Society/Culture Elon Musk abandons crypto

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand how/why at all, but my understanding is that ownership of BTC would always be in your possession, nobody can take it off you and claim it as their own.

Unless they get into one of the extremely shonky-looking exchanges/wallets which everyone uses.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's all a sham. I think there's use for Blockchain technology, but it's far too convoluted to be used as exchangeable currency like these cryptos are pretending it could be. By necessitating the middle-men, they lose any technological advantage over existing Govt-backed currencies.

is crptocurrency an asset or a currency? if it is a currency, it is supposed to be the storage of wealth........not wealth creation

anything that claims it is one thing but is another, warrants questions
Over 95% of what falls under the umbrella of 'cryptocurrency' aren't used as currencies. I find the best pure cryptocurrencies are those that are pegged against USD. Something like bitcoin is better described as digital gold although it functions more as a risk on asset price wise.

Crypto tokens are sold as solving real world problems. I agree with Chief that most of them are scams, but not all are. That's where nuance is often lost in these discussions.

Over 95% of what falls under the umbrella of 'cryptocurrency' aren't used as currencies. I find the best pure cryptocurrencies are those that are pegged against USD. Something like bitcoin is better described as digital gold although it functions more as a risk on asset price wise.

Crypto tokens are sold as solving real world problems. I agree with Chief that most of them are scams, but not all are. That's where nuance is often lost in these discussions.

well said and agreed

the challenge for "investors" and "customers" is separating the scams for the real opportunities.
the challenge for the "cryptocurrency" is surviving the regulations, scrutiny and government competition that will come

well said and agreed

the challenge for "investors" and "customers" is separating the scams for the real opportunities.
the challenge for the "cryptocurrency" is surviving the regulations, scrutiny and government competition that will come
I guess it's the same point, but the challenge with surviving the regulations and scrutiny is because of all the scams.

I can't really see the scams ending, the enticement of being able to practically digitally produce "currency" will just be too tempting, forever. Or there's even more regulation coming and the cost of genuine cyptocurrencies (if there are any) doing business will degrade their value.

Lol digital gold.

It’s different in that it doesn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What do you mean "it doesn't exist"? Does the post I'm replying to exist?
It has value while someone else is willing to buy it. Other than that it seems a useless asset. It's too volatile to be much good as a currency.

It has value while someone else is willing to buy it. Other than that it seems a useless asset.
My wife wonders why I watch men kicking a ball around an oval. It seems pointless, right?

I disagree with your assessment, which is why I was buying bitcoin at $4-5k after the covid crash while several naysayers were trolling in the cryptocurrency thread.

Anything under 20k USD is undervalued for BTC afaic. It won't go to zero because people like me are ready to buy at bargain prices. I'll sell at or above 100k USD in 3 years time.
It's too volatile to be much good as a currency.
Fair point. I agree. As posted previously, I prefer to use stablecoins that are pegged to USD for transactions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife wonders why I watch men kicking a ball around an oval. It seems pointless, right?

I disagree with your assessment, which is why I was buying bitcoin at $4-5k after the covid crash while several naysayers were trolling in the cryptocurrency thread.

Anything under 20k USD is undervalued for BTC afaic. It won't go to zero because people like me are ready to buy at bargain prices. I'll sell at or above 100k USD in 3 years time.

Fair point. I agree. As posted previously, I prefer to use stablecoins that are pegged to USD for transactions.
Then why not just buy USD? Are you trying to stay out of the banking system?

Admittedly bank exchange rates are highway robbery.

Then why not just buy USD? Are you trying to stay out of the banking system?

Admittedly bank exchange rates are highway robbery.
Crypto payments are often easier for international transactions as well as payment to others who work in the cryptosphere (usually international too). Generally I find Osko/PayID payments more convenient when the transaction is national and when security is important.

All things being equal, I'd rather support crypto because I believe it's the better choice as a financial system for the good of humanity.

I still don't understand the thread title. Where is the PROOF?
You mean the bit where Tesla flogged off 75% of their crypto?

It's like fairies. They can't survive without your belief.

Musk was pumping Dogecoin, partially at the request of Tesla workers he met.

He never believed in it. He wanted to slip his employees a bonus that didn't come out of his pocket.

"Tesla holds $1.5 bil in BTC! It must be going big! HODL!"

That's a fraction of the company value. They've torn up money on it. Hold a few hundy mil on the chance it blows up again.

Crypto is not part of Musk's core business. It's a gamble. One of many. It didn't pay off to the levels he hoped. Like many of his crazy ideas.

You mean the bit where Tesla flogged off 75% of their crypto?

It's like fairies. They can't survive without your belief.

Musk was pumping Dogecoin, partially at the request of Tesla workers he met.

He never believed in it. He wanted to slip his employees a bonus that didn't come out of his pocket.

"Tesla holds $1.5 bil in BTC! It must be going big! HODL!"

That's a fraction of the company value. They've torn up money on it. Hold a few hundy mil on the chance it blows up again.

Crypto is not part of Musk's core business. It's a gamble. One of many. It didn't pay off to the levels he hoped. Like many of his crazy ideas.
So he still holds some and he's abandoned it. I mean which one is it?

Too funny:

“We owned some luna,” Mr Carnegie said from Singapore, where he lives. “We net ended up square or maybe down a bit. With a Ponzi scheme you are trying to get in and out early.”

He said Mr Kwon and other crypto entrepreneurs operating stablecoins were engaged in a form of banking where their financial reserves could not cover, at any one time, their liabilities.

“They have no view of history and no historical context,” he said. “They feel they are discovering everything for the first time. It was leveraged fractional banking, which has been run a gazillion times again and again.”

One Twitter poster responded that Mr Carnegie had lobbied for cryptocurrency funds to be traded on the Australian Securities Exchange. When that was unsuccessful he relocated to Singapore, which had encouraged the funds to set up business there.

“Carnegie turns out be just another crypto bagholder, not the messiah,” wrote a Perth-based account named Talorc.

Yesterday at the servo I saw you can pay with bitcoin/etherium/others. I asked if anyone had ever done it and they said “no. One guy tried but it didn’t work.”

Is anyone using it as currency yet? Or is it still just people investing in nothing?

Yesterday at the servo I saw you can pay with bitcoin/etherium/others. I asked if anyone had ever done it and they said “no. One guy tried but it didn’t work.”

Is anyone using it as currency yet? Or is it still just people investing in nothing?

I think a bloke bought pizza with BC a while back - about 500 million dollars today

Remove this Banner Ad

Back