Delisted Ely Smith (2018-2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Another one to just let him develop and have another pre-season to see what he can bring next year or so. Hope he finishes the year off strongly.

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
Ely Smith: The club's first-round draft pick from last year started slowly and has steadily improved. Brisbane is stacked with inside midfielders, meaning Smith will likely continue to ply his trade in the NEAFL.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

Which first-round draftees are yet to sign new deals?
CLUBS move fast in locking down their early draft talents to contract extensions, but nearly half of last year's first-round selections have yet to sign on beyond their mandatory two-year deals.

Players picked in the NAB AFL Draft are given two-year deals to start their careers under AFL rules, but in recent seasons clubs have regularly tried to lock in their top-end youngsters to contract extensions within their first year in the system.

There has been no movement yet for Richmond's Riley Collier-Dawkins and Brisbane's Ely Smith as both push for an AFL debut.

Dodongo thinks Ely shouldn't put pen to paper until late next year. If it looks like he can't break into a strong midfield next year Dodongo wouldn't begrudge him if he wanted to leave. Ely obviously knows this is best for him too. For that reason Dodongo would be shocked if he extended his contract this year.

I'm really excited about what Ely Smith could bring to the table in 2020 and beyond. I think it is great that he spent the entirety of his debut season in the reserves honing his craft. He reminds me physically of a young Dusty/Cunnington. Would obviously be a great result if he ended up being as half as good as those guys but he is so strong and has that innate ability to absorb contact and fend off/get his arms free from a prying tackle. He has also shown he can read the play well in the forward 50 and can take a strong overhead mark, not to mention the fact that he kicked multiple goals on several occasions at NEAFL level in 2019 which are good signs that he could make an impact resting forward in the future at senior level.

Has the potential to be one of those dominant, contested ball/clearance winning, big bodied midfielders in the mould of Josh Kennedy and Ben Cunnington but I think he has the potential to make more of an impact resting forward than those guys and if he can really focus on that side of his game and improve upon it(E.g. overhead marking, reading the flight of the ball, crumbing at ground level) then that will result in him becoming a much better and more dangerous player. I think the coaches know this as well hence why he probably spent a lot of time at NEAFL level playing in the forward line. Has the potential to be a real gun mid for us.

I'm really excited about what Ely Smith could bring to the table in 2020 and beyond. I think it is great that he spent the entirety of his debut season in the reserves honing his craft. He reminds me physically of a young Dusty/Cunnington. Would obviously be a great result if he ended up being as half as good as those guys but he is so strong and has that innate ability to absorb contact and fend off/get his arms free from a prying tackle. He has also shown he can read the play well in the forward 50 and can take a strong overhead mark, not to mention the fact that he kicked multiple goals on several occasions at NEAFL level in 2019 which are good signs that he could make an impact resting forward in the future at senior level.

Has the potential to be one of those dominant, contested ball/clearance winning, big bodied midfielders in the mould of Josh Kennedy and Ben Cunnington but I think he has the potential to make more of an impact resting forward than those guys and if he can really focus on that side of his game and improve upon it(E.g. overhead marking, reading the flight of the ball, crumbing at ground level) then that will result in him becoming a much better and more dangerous player. I think the coaches know this as well hence why he probably spent a lot of time at NEAFL level playing in the forward line. Has the potential to be a real gun mid for us.
From memory he came into the elite U18 program late and the club recognised that he would take more time than most first round picks. Definitely an exciting prospect, as you say. Hopefully he re-signs over summer.

Good to see Ely re-signed for a further two years.

Ely is looking and sounding a lot more assured compared to when he was presented to us and interviewed on stage at the Melbourne draft night function this time last year.

DURING quarter-time of a match simulation session at Brisbane's Hobart training camp in early 2020, coach Chris Fagan singles out young midfielder Ely Smith.

Smith, then in his second pre-season, had taken a low-percentage snap at goal from deep in the forward pocket that his coach didn't like.

"That's not how we do things here. Don't let it happen again," Fagan sternly said.In his first two seasons at Brisbane, it wasn't unusual for Smith to get what he calls "direct feedback" from the coaching group.

As Brisbane's head of development Scott Borlace told AFL.com.au, it took Smith a little while to settle in.

"When he first came in he probably didn't understand 100 per cent what was required to be a professional footballer, and thought he might get a game straight up," Borlace said.

Smith a standout in VFL practice match

Ely Smith has put his name forward for a senior call-up with a starring performance in the reserves’ scratch match against Aspley on Saturday.

Smith booted three goals and gathered 14 disposals in a half before taking an early shower to head to the Gabba where he was an emergency for the AFL side.

The 20-year-old was a standout over the pre-season with his improved fitness and appeared in the A squad during intra club matches and was also in the senior side for the first scratch match against the Gold Coast.

Smith missed selection for Rd 1 but Lions VFL coach Mitch Hahn said he took a terrific attitude into the reserves match and was doing everything he possibly could to force his way into the AFL side.

“He was fantastic, he got plenty of the footy and was very dangerous in the forward half, kicking thee goals, it was a really strong contribution from Ely,’’ he said.

Ely Ready to Put a 'Frustrating Year' Behind Him

_DSC0104.jpg

Footy can be cruel sometimes, and Ely Smith is no exception to that rule.

After putting together a massive pre-season in 2021, Smith sustained two syndesmosis injuries that ruled him out of much of what many predicted as a ‘breakout year’.

The big-bodied midfielder was unable to play much of the VFL season and said the year was frustrating.

“Yeah it was a pretty frustrating year. I had a huge pre-season so I could come in pretty good shape and only managed a couple of games before the ankle injury,” Smith said.

“And to come good from that only to do another one was really frustrating, and I didn’t get to play many official games so I’m hopeful this year that can change for sure.”

The 21-year-old looks to be moving well in pre-season though, impressing in the contested drills with his powerful frame and acceleration out of the contest.

Speaking to Lions Media, Smith said that was a side of his game he wants to bring to the side.

“Using my body a bit more around the contest and use my power to get out of congestion is something I really want to work on.

“We don’t really have that at the moment so that’s definitely the focus.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharks Down Lions

Big-bodied midfielder Ely Smith was prolific across the midfield to collect 23 touches, five tackles, five clearances, one goal and one behind in the loss.

Ely Smith has put his name forward for a senior call-up with a starring performance in the reserves’ scratch match against Aspley on Saturday.

Smith booted three goals and gathered 14 disposals in a half before taking an early shower to head to the Gabba where he was an emergency for the AFL side.

The 20-year-old was a standout over the pre-season with his improved fitness and appeared in the A squad during intra club matches and was also in the senior side for the first scratch match against the Gold Coast.

Smith missed selection for Rd 1 but Lions VFL coach Mitch Hahn said he took a terrific attitude into the reserves match and was doing everything he possibly could to force his way into the AFL side.

“He was fantastic, he got plenty of the footy and was very dangerous in the forward half, kicking thee goals, it was a really strong contribution from Ely,’’ he said.

And followed this up with a brilliant first quarter of the round one VFL match against Essendon before injury struck. Ely was right on the cusp at this point, but, alas, never rediscovered the magic formula that brought him there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back