Autopsy Embarrassing Dogs smashed by Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Started meekly ended even meeker.

Collingwood very clinical but our lack pressure/physicality most telling.

Bright spots were Keath, Williams and Smith.

The rest (probably captain most of all) will have hard time in the review I’d imagine.

There is daylight between these two teams. Running ability, kicking, tackling, pressure - the Pies are superior in all facets. They also have a game plan that everyone understands and plays to which is in stark contrast to the mess we saw from our team. Not sure what Beverage has been trying to set up over the break but it failed dismally tonight.
Smith was our best, a few others tried hard but the rest were made to look amateurish.

Preparation just wasn't there and it showed immediately. It's clear we didn't think the game was going to be played. Pies looked set and ready and we were just waiting for something to happen.

Staggering if true but based on what we saw I fear you are correct

The thing is, that this being a shortened season - and it's inevitable that it gets shorter or called off once someone involved with a club gets it - there's less margin for error. Less margin, but this is still game one. There was some obviously poor choices that had predictably poor outcomes; for god's sake Bevo, we played our best footy last season with Trengove in the team, there was no reason for Gardiner to be playing instead.

But make no mistake, pile on any of the forwards or defenders you like, this game was over in the first quarter because Tim was so bad against Grundy, Collingwood essentially running set plays for most of those goals that got them the lead. And Dunkley, Bont and Macrae (and the coaches) didn't react and find a way around that either. No forward was going to have a good day for us when we were getting belted in the middle like that. And I'd point to the fact that Grundy will now have 9 brownlow votes from his last 3 games against us to show just how huge of a factor he alone is when he's going up against Tim.

Of course I'd rather we stick to the sensible options from round one. But this is the Bevo package. He constantly defies expectations, he plays favourites (and that goes the other way). We've had a premiership from that, and we've also had some lows. He's going to try different things. It's frustrating when it's like this but we can only see if he responds faster to this game than he responded to our poor form early last season. That being said some comments are still ridiculously reactionary. We went through this last year and showed how you can respond to poor form.

Hopefully we at least get one more game in to rectify this performance, for the sake of us supporters, before the season's delayed or called off.

On the back of the last two performances that Josh Dunkley has served up, he should not be in contention to be selected next week.

Tonight he played on a first-gamer in Tyler Brown and was invisible especially in the first half.

Maybe next year? They gave us so little to be positive about this evening and what if that's our only match of the season? I just don't know how to feel. Empty might express it best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a horrible display. Reality hit for Beverage tonight.

No energy and weaknesses shown in our overrated side.

A few things really stood out. Firstly, Gardener! Wow, what an absolute Joke of a selection. Either play Trengove or Young back.

Suckling playing forward one on one getting pushed off the ball was frustrating. He s a great skilful player but needs to spend a whole pre season in the gym.

Don't even get me started on hunter! Slows up play, gets cheap possession and goes backwards More than forward.

Bont horrible performance. Needs to stop reading Robbo articles.

English needs to join sucking in the gym again. Too easily pushed off the ball and lack an agression. Shows glimpses.

Naughton wasn't ready.

Caleb and Mcrae best players.

Need some quick half forwards that create their own space and get easy uncontested marks. Lloyd, suckling , Dale don't seem to get space on their defenders.

Backline looks shaky. Having guys that lack quick decision making and no composure hurts. Especially Keath, Wood, cordy and Gardner.

Bev needs to really ask himself what he sees in Gardner, Baffling to think he is more valueble to the side than Trengrove. Also, Schache a lot better forward than Lewis Young.

We missed Richards speed tonight. Overall, our mids and forwards just didn't need function but I am very worried about our defence. Keath Is a role player, we lack any real elite defenders, JJ is the closest thing we have, all others role player types and our key defenders are on par with weakest in league.

Can't wait For Round 2 👍

Gardner was playing his third game in a team that was smashed in the middle. He's not the reason we lost.

Bont was poor, Smith at 19 was our best mid who at least showed some fight.

Cordy should not be kicking out. I like him but FFS we have 15 blokes in the side that should kick out ahead of him.

Presser should be fun
It'll be same old. Measured and will keep his cards close to his chest. He always backs his players in, but now and then I'd love him to put some heat on players.
"Tim went up against one of the best rucks in the comp, he'll be better for the experience.
"We're on a journey to explore where we can go and what our best team looks like.
"Collingwood controlled the game, we tried a few things but weren't able to get the momentum."
Etc etc

Carlton should have played tonight, too good for Thursday night footy.

Zaine Cordy taking the kick ins, thank god they did not kick many points.

Can't blame Toby Greene for that performance.

I am wondering where on my body to get my number 43 tattoo.

Bring on the "Ching", ringa ding ding.

I was pretty disappointed when the blues towelled us up last season by 7-8 goals or whatever it was.

But tonight is by far the most disappointing game since 2016, and it’s not even close. Absolutely pathetic.

How can you dish up that absolute trash after 5 months training? Have you ever seen such a soft team? And how does the match committee pick so many tall's in such slippery conditions? Gardner and Young just not up to it. Too many one dimensional players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back