Other #encouragementaward Town Hall

Should we bring the #encouragementaward back

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

No, you're missing the point. The point isn't about past grievances. It's that the society that we currently live in is shaped by our history, in that the way in which society has been formed and power has been entrenched has occurred over centuries.

Our societal structures don't reset with the end of one life or the beginning of another. We don't live in an 'equal' society now. Until the structural imbalance is addressed (and by that I mean in result, not just in lip service), it's not possible to.
History plays a part without a shadow of a doubt.

I just think that the way things are addressed in some instances work against the equality that people want to see.

If we want kids to treat women with respect then we should highlight that objectifying anyone regardless of gender is a bad thing. That's why I point out the double standard

Blacky of course there is a double standard, but its the price you pay as a male. Imo I thought his crack was inappropriate, just answer her questions. If you want to nail her, embarrassing her on the telly is the last thing you should do.

Having said that......

What a *

Gayle was definitely inappropriate, no question

i really just want the injustice stopped for the good of the planet

I want the encouragement award back

I do understand what you are saying Southerntakeover it wasnt a great look at all

The real question is, does being sympathetic to the feminist cause get STO laid more often??

In all seriousness, German comedian Paco Erhard says it best when describing religion, but fits pretty well into this convo too.

Too paraphrase:

You have 2.5% of the population on the extreme left, 2.5% of the population on the extreme right, and you've got 95% of us in the middle just wishing everybody would chill the * out...

Well if we can't put the past behind us then we will never move forward. There will always be resentment and we will never have equality because we will always be trying to make up for the past.
When did we start talking about religion?? Oh hang on...

9 votes for yes isn't exactly an overwhelming response. The 3 maybe's could decide it.
The topic of badges will sway my vote

No badges = Yes
Yes badges = No

That's where my swinging vote goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10620704_10205647123121531_2053574321380825760_n.jpg

It's like white men arguing that they can be victims of racism......plenty of it on the Goodes thread.

Anyway back to the footy

Maybe the C10 reporter has slept with a West Indies cricketer in the past??
Maybe other Aussie athletes??
Maybe why these sports stars are making such strong advances toward her??
Not saying it's appropriate behavior from them in her workplace!!

----

Chris Gayle isn’t the first cricketer to pick-up Big Bash commentator Mel McLaughlin

January 5, 20169:07am
4df3555afb6de456936ce75859491455

Channel ten sports broadcaster Mel McLaughlin has faced more than one pick up attempt in her career.

THIS isn’t Mel McLaughlin’s first time at the rodeo.

As Chris Gayle faces a grilling over his “disrespectful and simply inappropriate” comments to the Channel 10 reporter last night, social media has been quick to point out a January 2014 interview with Trinidadian cricketer Dwayne Bravo. During the live cross, Bravo made special mention to Ms McLaughlin after receiving his medal for man of the match.

“You’ve got a special message for one of our commentators?” the interviewer asked.

Bravo responded: “I just want to say hello to Mel, beautiful Mel, I was lucky enough to meet her once in Sydney. I just want to say hi and I see she’s still looking beautiful.”

The camera panned to McLaughlin in the studio, who appeared visibly embarrassed.

“That was slightly uncomfortable,” co-presenter Ricky Ponting said.

McLaughlin then attempted to change the topic of conversation.

“Let’s, ah, well ... let’s concentrate on what he did in the field first ... over to either of you, I don’t really care right now.”

There was no “don’t blush, baby” in Bravo’s interview and he wasn’t brought up on the comments later.

Last night, Channel 10 commentator Mark Howard described the confrontation with Gayle as inappropriate and highlighted McLaughlin’s professionalism in the face of flirtation.

“It must be pointed out that Mel is a wonderful, professional, informed sports broadcaster and a valued member of Network Ten and on reflection, I don’t think that’s appropriate for what’s required in that format,” he said after the awkward interview.

“Chris is an entertainer and he’s a joker, but I think he probably went a bit too far there. I hope we don’t see any of it again, and Mel will be back for her next interview, prepared and ready to go as she always is.”

origin:video_integrator.1xZm95eTqXgKrymyJ-HDOtfZiJMz84J_

It’s not just cricketers who have struggled to hide their affection for McLaughlin during live interviews.

The reporter showed her class when she received an unexpected kiss from Socceroos star Tim Cahill following a 2012 match.

Despite being clearly caught off guard by the sneaky peck from the Australian striker, McLaughlin powered through and gave a skilful post-match interview.

At the time of the Cahill kiss McLaughlin was a presenter and sideline reporter with Fox Sports and quickly became a favourite with the fans.

A tongue in cheek blog post penned by SportsBet when the news broke that McLaughlin was leaving Fox Sports perfectly captured the heartache felt by fans: “Remember the scenes when Kim Jong-il passed away in North Korea? Multiply that by 10. Yep, utter devastation.”

During her time with Fox Sports she aided immensely the promotion of the A-League and was embraced by supporters of the beautiful game.

Such was the level of affection for the sideline reporter that Western Sydney Wanderers fan even sang about her during games.

In 2013, one dedicated fan on the Western Sydney Football website started a “Mel McLaughlin Appreciation Thread” — almost all of the posts are Wanderers supporters professing their love for the journalist.

Not saying it's appropriate behavior from them in her workplace!!

----

Chris Gayle isn’t the first cricketer to pick-up Big Bash commentator Mel McLaughlin

January 5, 20169:07am
4df3555afb6de456936ce75859491455

Channel ten sports broadcaster Mel McLaughlin has faced more than one pick up attempt in her career.

THIS isn’t Mel McLaughlin’s first time at the rodeo.

As Chris Gayle faces a grilling over his “disrespectful and simply inappropriate” comments to the Channel 10 reporter last night, social media has been quick to point out a January 2014 interview with Trinidadian cricketer Dwayne Bravo. During the live cross, Bravo made special mention to Ms McLaughlin after receiving his medal for man of the match.
God she's awkward

GG.exe logic.......as happens quite often, a man acts like a dick in front of good looking girl who in turn rejects man. Girl must therefore be a ****. Wow.

Maybe Joe Namath tried to kiss Suzy Kolber because Suzy 'got around'.

Anyway back to the footy...

What in the hell is the matter with you?

What an absurd comment.

Maybe, and here's a really out there thought, the problem in a circumstance of harassment is not the victims of it?

Back