Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been disappointed in Hazelwood in previous tours to England. Thought he'd kill it over there but has only been steady. Hasn't looked threatening or like winning us a game.

Could Pattinson overtake him?

Pattinson is a gun when fit. I would have no issue him joining Starc, Cummins & Lyon as the 4 bowlers. Would like to see Worrall in the squad.

The issue will be our batsmen. Who joins Warner, Khawaja, Smith & Head? Do we really need an allrounder given Head & Smith can bowl a few overs.

Something like...
1. Warner
2. Burns ?
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Starc
11. Lyon

Or could open with Khawaja, move Smith & Head up the order to play Wade.

Worrall has gone home from his county stint with back stress fractures unfortunately

Nick Winter is killing it over there in club cricket. I wonder if he could be a smokey as a squad player?
Buggar. Worrall seems to have shocking timing.

How long was Jye Richardson out for? We could have really done with him at the WC.

Pattinson is a gun when fit. I would have no issue him joining Starc, Cummins & Lyon as the 4 bowlers. Would like to see Worrall in the squad.

The issue will be our batsmen. Who joins Warner, Khawaja, Smith & Head? Do we really need an allrounder given Head & Smith can bowl a few overs.

Something like...
1. Warner
2. Burns ?
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Pattinson
10. Starc
11. Lyon

Or could open with Khawaja, move Smith & Head up the order to play Wade.
Can’t really see Wade being picked for Ashes due to age factor and he has not been picked for the past 2 years despite getting plentiful runs.

Can’t really see Wade being picked for Ashes due to age factor and he has not been picked for the past 2 years despite getting plentiful runs.
Then why pick him for Australia A, where his gunning it?

Ah, what the? We made 300+ in the majority of games off the back of him, Finch and Smith. He very rarely went under a SR of 90, which is perfectly fine for an opener. But ok, he made the middle order play terribly, bloody hell Davey!
I'm not saying he didn't find form or that the middle order were great. I'm saying no other player was afforded the luxury of using 3 world cup games for points to slowly and gently ease themselves into form at their own pace

His first 3 games were:
* 89 off 114 vs Afghanistan (not much opposition)
* 3 off 8 vs West Indies
* 56 off 84 vs India (Chasing 350. Ran out the captain who was batting at over a run a ball at the time. By the time he was out had set up a situation where every other player had to attack from the go.)

Not sure what point you’re trying to make. The fact he wasn’t picked for the World Cup tells you the selector’s mindset in their preference of Wade or not.
I'm talking the Ashes not the WC.

What do you think we use Australia A for in the longer format? To look at giving Test or potential Test players games. If Wade wasn't in the mix, he wouldn't be in the side!

Buggar. Worrall seems to have shocking timing.

How long was Jye Richardson out for? We could have really done with him at the WC.
We initially named Richardson in the World Cup squad so it must have been conceivable that he'd be ready in time. Hopefully he's close but doesn't seem to be playing in the A stuff?

We initially named Richardson in the World Cup squad so it must have been conceivable that he'd be ready in time. Hopefully he's close but doesn't seem to be playing in the A stuff?
Yeah, hadn't heard anything either.

I'm not saying he didn't find form or that the middle order were great. I'm saying no other player was afforded the luxury of using 3 world cup games for points to slowly and gently ease themselves into form at their own pace

His first 3 games were:
* 89 off 114 vs Afghanistan (not much opposition)
* 3 off 8 vs West Indies
* 56 off 84 vs India (Chasing 350. Ran out the captain who was batting at over a run a ball at the time. By the time he was out had set up a situation where every other player had to attack from the go.)
You still aren’t making your point very well.

This reads as bitterness but I reckon it's a good point.
They could have mixed up the team a bit to ensure that other batsmen had some quality time in the centre eg vs Afghanistan/Bangladesh/Sri Lanka. They could have dropped one of those games and still made 3rd or 4th place depending on RR.
When's the last time Handscomb played under match conditions before facing Archer/Woakes et al?

Maxwell was selected on explosive batting potential. Top fielder, but bowling plodder. He scored 50+ in 8 of his last 49 ODI digs. 3 (!!) out of his last 27, all vs Pakistan:
Stoinis was selected out of Kumbaya-like mateship ("Beauty! he passed the fitness test; must play!"), not form (only 2 x 50+ scores in 16 digs pre-WC).
Form!! Teams have got to be picked on FORM, Cricket and Crows both.
Stoinis given a free ticket ever since Eden Park, NZ innings. Not backed it up at international level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good points by all
Not convinced we rig our pitches though
Every pitch is slightly different and it is what it is
Put it this way ... the caretakers at the Gabba and in WA are not going to be encouraged to change the wicket to make them bat-friendly ;);) *nudge nudge*.
SCG used to be a turner, not so much now. MCG deteriorates badly; drop-in wicket problem?
AO is probably best surface for a riveting contest; nearly always produces a result and is picturesque for spectators/TV.

Our team never really clicked the whole tournament. Just had some good individual efforts at times, mostly from Warner or Starc with a couple of other cameos, that won us games
Starc was standout, I thought. Finch/Warner prolific <== those 3 saved their worst for the Semi :'(.
Smith solid, tics'n'all :rolleyes::).
Most improved was Carey; very sound technique and excellent temperament, sublime off-drives. I hope he makes the 11 for The Ashes, but can they fit Paine and Carey (and Wade! lol) in the same side?
DUDS/SPUDS:
Stoinis
Maxwell (I wonder if Stokes would do an Archer ==> Oz? :D:D The Poms come up with very effective all-rounders eg Freddie/Botham)

Lyon ineffective.

I'm talking the Ashes not the WC.

What do you think we use Australia A for in the longer format? To look at giving Test or potential Test players games. If Wade wasn't in the mix, he wouldn't be in the side!
To be honest, I have no idea what they’re doing with Wade. If they’re fair dinkum in picking him for the main team, then he should have been picked already. Why bother trialling him in the A team?

To be honest, I have no idea what they’re doing with Wade. If they’re fair dinkum in picking him for the main team, then he should have been picked already. Why bother trialling him in the A team?
Because that's the whole point of Australia A!

What do you think the team is for... & why they are currently playing in English conditions?

Because that's the whole point of Australia A!

What do you think the team is for... & why they are currently playing in English conditions?
I’m keen to see what happens if Wade bats better than Paine and whether they choose Wade as a sole batsmen for the main squad. Going to be intriguing!

I’m keen to see what happens if Wade bats better than Paine and whether they choose Wade as a sole batsmen for the main squad. Going to be intriguing!
There are plenty of batting spots up for grabs. Only 4 - Warner, Khawaja, Smith & Head are locks... so hence the Australia A games are important.

The sandpaper thing was almost the death knell for Carey's test career.

They won't want to chop and change the captaincy.

By the time Paine is done or untenable Carey will be 30 and some new keeping prospect will be flavour of the month

Our bowling stocks are depleted, this will be the Poms best chance of a whitewash as I don’t know how we get 20 wickets each test.

The sandpaper thing was almost the death knell for Carey's test career.

They won't want to chop and change the captaincy.

By the time Paine is done or untenable Carey will be 30 and some new keeping prospect will be flavour of the month
If the Australian selectors were brave, they would make Head captain & Cummins vice-captain, to allow us to bring in Carey for Paine... but they will probably wait another year to give it back to Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back