Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handscomb is the other one who should be under pressure. His technique and footwork are lacking and he can't score in front of the wicket.
Absolutely, he got away with alot early but he just never looks likely

Paine was a good keeper a few years ago.

He's a good bloke and he's in for that reason. Had about a billion byes in the second innings.
It's a tough gig being captain and keeper.

Saw a story years ago where Ian Healy talks about the levels of concentration needed to be a keeper at Test level. He said at the end of a day in the field he was mentally exhausted.

Add captaincy to that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They aren't going to move the captain on for someone like that though.
They've boxed themselves in.

The need for experience and leadership means that we're stuck with Paine and Finch even though they aren't in our best Test XI

It's a tough gig being captain and keeper.

Saw a story years ago where Ian Healy talks about the levels of concentration needed to be a keeper at Test level. He said at the end of a day in the field he was mentally exhausted.

Add captaincy to that.

Yes, you always need to be switched on as a wicketkeeper, and also as a captain. Paine is working on a “double switch”, so to speak!

I think with the current result, a near win suggests to me Paine is motivating his troops admirably, and he is a batting fighter. His leadership qualities I’m starting to appreciate more of.

I'm just happy it was a tight tussle. Would give a few new inclusions some confidence. Did anyone of us actually expected a win before the start of the 1st Test?
I thought it was amazing, the number of media who were slagging the Australians and giving a wet handie to the Indians and STILL suggesting Australia would win the series.

We only have three good batsmen and two have been banned, and the third can't bat against great off spin. We're ****ed.

Handscomb is the other one who should be under pressure. His technique and footwork are lacking and he can't score in front of the wicket.
Handscomb bats like a really good number 8. He's a rick man's Michael Neser.

Yes, you always need to be switched on as a wicketkeeper, and also as a captain. Paine is working on a “double switch”, so to speak!

I think with the current result, a near win suggests to me Paine is motivating his troops admirably, and he is a batting fighter. His leadership qualities I’m starting to appreciate more of.
Not much a skipper can do when the selectors give him dud batsman.

It was good hearing Warne talk about out the way the bowlers and field placements set up the Indian batsman which lead to wickets. It means Paine and our bowlers are working well in the field together.

Not much a skipper can do when the selectors give him dud batsman.

It was good hearing Warne talk about out the way the bowlers and field placements set up the Indian batsman which lead to wickets. It means Paine and our bowlers are working well in the field together.
It's a shame Warne didn't get to be test skipper at some stage. Good feel for the game and prepared to go a bit left-field at times. Would have been entertaining.

Not that you can knock the captaincy records of Waugh or Ponting though.

It's a shame Warne didn't get to be test skipper at some stage. Good feel for the game and prepared to go a bit left-field at times. Would have been entertaining.

Not that you can knock the captaincy records of Waugh or Ponting though.
I am sure he had a bit of influence with both of them.

Especially when he bowled.

Agree though. He would have made a great captain.

Although with Waugh/Punter as skipper and Warnje as VC or just an on field advisor the Cricket Board had the best of both worlds. In Punter and Waugh they had the image of a great captain for PR, bear in mind back then being Australian Captain was akin to being Prime Minister, not so much now. And Warnie the on field tactical genius.

I felt we played ok, but India have a couple of gears to go that we simply dont have.

Kohli wont bat that poorly again, but we probably will.
In footy parlance it felt like one of those games where the oppo is in front all day. We make a run here and there - bridge the gap to a goal, then they kick away again.

End up with a 3-4 goal loss and feel like we've done ok, but in reality we were never in front and they were always able to pull away.

Meh

In footy parlance it felt like one of those games where the oppo is in front all day. We make a run here and there - bridge the gap to a goal, then they kick away again.

End up with a 3-4 goal loss and feel like we've done ok, but in reality we were never in front and they were always able to pull away.

Meh
My footy comparison would be:
- we took the early quarter lead and an early upset was brewing
- they pegged it back and by half time it was evenly poised with the Indians just a neck in front
- we were then demolished in the 3rd quarter which appeared to screw up our good early work in the first half
- 4th quarter began according to script, but then some of the lesser likes in the team started kicking goals to push for a huge upset..
- siren came, we should have done better in that damn 3rd quarter!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually reckon Sydney would be the test match to move. Needs a spruce up. The New Years test has been an institution but now it's the last test of each summer. Usually the series is over by then. Big Bash is in full swing. Bit of a non-event.

In the 'olden days' there was a test in Australia on Australia Day, often another one in January somewhere (Perth) so the New Years test was somewhere in the middle of the series. The key time.

Would be great if Perth got the New Years test. Bit of a fillip for them. Event to show off their new stadium.

Sydney to have a test in December in the first week of the school holidays. Series is alive. Big Bash hasn't started.

I actually reckon Sydney would be the test match to move. Needs a spruce up. The New Years test has been an institution but now it's the last test of each summer. Usually the series is over by then. Big Bash is in full swing. Bit of a non-event.

In the 'olden days' there was a test in Australia on Australia Day, often another one in January somewhere (Perth) so the New Years test was somewhere in the middle of the series. The key time.

Would be great if Perth got the New Years test. Bit of a fillip for them. Event to show off their new stadium.

Sydney to have a test in December in the first week of the school holidays. Series is alive. Big Bash hasn't started.
Sydney test could be moved anywhere as they will get poor attendances regardless!

After seeing Finch open in Adelaide, I'd rather have anyone else opening. I think every single other player in the team scored more runs in the Test than Finch.
There's this young bloke called Renshaw who has never let us down & has a great future...

There's this young bloke called Renshaw who has never let us down & has a great future...
And yet Warne wants Finch as captain of the Test, one day and 20-20 teams!

Then again, Finch looks overweight and apparently only stopped smoking 6 months ago, so I can see why Warne likes him.

Holy guacamole Batman! That pitch is greener than an Indian on a boat

Its worth noting India won on a green top in South Africa against the best pace attack in the world.

The MOTM that game was B Kumar, a likely inclusion today. It's also worth noting that the ball is likely to move around a bit, and we all know how our players handle the moving ball.

Be careful what you wish for.

Its worth noting India won on a green top in South Africa against the best pace attack in the world.

The MOTM that game was B Kumar, a likely inclusion today. It's also worth noting that the ball is likely to move around a bit, and we all know how our players handle the moving ball.

Be careful what you wish for.
Spot on. Adelaide was well publicised as being a green top. Thought it was a good toss to lose given hot conditions making it hard not to bat first but also noting the pitch was always going to offer something early.

We then take advantage getting them 4/40. Made no difference to expected result

Interesting that, Sharma aside, both the other quicks are under 180cm. Yet they are a very effective pace attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back