AFLW Erin Phillips Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a few posts in the Erin Phillips thread on the AFLW board but Erin deserves a run on the main board to celebrate her fabulous career.

The China escapade was necessary and ended up being reasonably worthwhile, however the opportunity cost of it was that Erin didn't get to achieve her biggest AFLW accolades in a PAFC guernsey.

She's an out and out champion so I do hope she maintains some link to the club, coaching, fitness, ambassador, etc
I think she would be able to take on any role that gets given to her.

Disappointed we never got to see the best of Erin in our colours.

Not a huge fan of the women’s game but she is the type of person that the competition needs to win people over.

Ultimate professional, clearly a good role model and blessed with a great football pedigree.

In an era where our club is now just another franchise it’s sad to see another link to our past bow out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The China escapade was necessary and ended up being reasonably worthwhile, however the opportunity cost of it was that Erin didn't get to achieve her biggest AFLW accolades in a PAFC guernsey.

She's an out and out champion so I do hope she maintains some link to the club, coaching, fitness, ambassador, etc
I feel like she is destined for the media.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very happy I'll be at Alberton to farewell the GOAT. Was at Footy Park in 1998 and again 1990 when some of her first iconic photos were taken. Seeing her run rings around a few old farts at a Slowdown who knows how many years ago was an eye opener that a very special sporting talent was there, with nowhere to go in AFL as it was then. Congratulations on an amazing sporting career.

phillipses.JPG

Yep, this was my first thought as well. It absolutely sucks that we missed out on getting her in her prime with a team who could win, but it was still brilliant to watch her play for our club. Absolute champion.

Sidenote: They should name the league B&F after her.

Thank you Erin. Hopefully she inspires this group to achieve more in the future.

It will always be one of Port's biggest "what could have been" moments, if we'd gotten that first license and had Phillips, Hatch, Randall, Noff, etc. playing for us.

Also would love to see her carry on as an assistant coach with the women's team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol the AFLW heavies saying the comp is too much in it's infancy to be naming gongs after famous figures.

Let's wait another decade, and hopefully a Victorian player comes along and surpasses Erin's record.

Then we can truly talk about deserving Melburnians to name awards after in the VFLW competition ............ errhh ummhh, sorry.
I meant the AFLW of course 🤗

Lol the AFLW heavies saying the comp is too much in it's infancy to be naming gongs after famous figures.

Let's wait another decade, and hopefully a Victorian player comes along and surpasses Erin's record.
Let's commission a Taylah Harris statue at the MCG after 5 seconds.

Then we can truly talk about deserving Melburnians to name awards after in the VFLW competition ............ errhh ummhh, sorry.
I meant the AFLW of course 🤗

1698895611016.png

Pity we got Erin after 2 ACL recos and multiple knee injuries and another knee operation after she finished playing for the crows, which initially she and docs though was another ACL in February 2022. She wasn't at her agile best when she came to Port.

A great ambassador for the club, as even when she was at the crows, she was always linked to Greg and Greg and Port's story got out into the national media.

Erin should be the logical choice as coach from next season... so that means she's no chance.

Erin should be the logical choice as coach from next season... so that means she's no chance.

On the other hand Erin has said she wants to take a break from sport and spend time with her family. Erin is rising 40, and has spent much of her life playing in the highest levels of sport. She has a partner and 4 growing children.

That said, at the end of the last game when the team was in a huddle there was an enormous celebratory cheer that made me wonder if Erin had made some announcement. But she dead batted questions from the media about the next phase of her life.

Whatever Erin wants to do next is entirely up to her.

It will be interesting to see what Lauren Arnell does next year, she will have an infant and her time will be precious. Preparing for and coaching in a national competition with a 6 month old baby will be a complex and demanding juggling act.

It will be interesting to see what Lauren Arnell does next year, she will have an infant and her time will be precious. Preparing for and coaching in a national competition with a 6 month old baby will be a complex and demanding juggling act.
is anybody asking this question about Craig McRae?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back