English Super League ESL play-offs 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

St. Helens 18 Warrington Wolves 36.

It didn't look like that in the first half; Saints were all over Warrington like a rash, and the Wolves struggled to get out of their half. They only got near the Saints try-line three or four times in the entire half, but, tellingly, they scored two tries in those visits, and only trailed 14-12 at half time.

In the second half, it didn't take Warrington long to score first, another precision kick from Lee Briers finding Joel Monaghan, who caught the ball brilliantly, but then lost it behind him, and then recovered quickest to grab the loose ball and shovel it over the line for a fair try. Two tries from Trent Waterhouse, the second of which was lucky to be allowed when Saints had a good case for obstruction, put Warrington in the driving seat, and a further score from Chris Riley, who got two on the night also, meant that Saints could have no complaints. They reached the last four with a somewhat makeshift side, not really in the class of Saints sides of old, when they had the likes of Sean Long, Leon Price, Mal Meninga, Jamie Lyon and Matt Gidley to call on. Lance Hohaia has never really looked comfortable as a 6 for my money.

Brett Hodgson was as reliable as ever with his goal-kicking, missing only once, whereas Saints were more erratic.

I'm glad Warrington got through, the first time they've ever made a GF, and they now face Leeds in a repeat of the Challenge Cup Final. On that day Leeds were well beaten , so they'll hope for a better showing this time as Warrington attempt the league and cup double. So it will be Sinfield against Briers in what should be a cracking Final.

Prelim attendances were strange.

Wigan averaged about 16,000 in the H and A season and against Leeds which is the other one of the 2 big clubs at home in a Prelim they got 12,000 !!!!

St. helens at home to Warrington also drew less than H and A average. Bizarre.

Prelim attendances were strange.

Wigan averaged about 16,000 in the H and A season and against Leeds which is the other one of the 2 big clubs at home in a Prelim they got 12,000 !!!!

St. helens at home to Warrington also drew less than H and A average. Bizarre.

The weather was just awful on my screen anyway, would account for the attendance Moto?

In part. I think there's still some resentment from some fans towards the play-offs altogether. The GF generally gets a good crowd, though. 69k last year.

Foxsport news are now actually giving scores of the finals and some tit bits now again on players.
Makes me wonder, if they regret not showing the games as in previous years.

I'm actually not so enthused about this trip now. A while back I had a bout of back pain. Nothing unusual in that, but this spread down my left leg as far as the ankle. I later discovered it was sciatica. I obtained some mega pain-killers and it has definitely got better. But driving is not good for it, especially as it's the left leg that's affected, and it's worse in the mornings, after stiffening up overnight. So at the moment the 17 mile trip to work feels plenty enough, so I'm not looking forward to the 250 mile drive tomorrow. :(

Plus the weather is foul, and the forecast is for it to remain so all weekend.

I hope your back pain settled by now, if not, can you catch a train?

I've got my tape pre-set for the 4am start down here, love to stay up and watch it live, not sure if I can do it tho.

Cheers Coop. Posting live from Old Trafford! Weather fine and sunny, all good. Brilliant seat, just about ten rows from the touchline, right on half way. Just a minute or so to kick off.

A closely fought and entertaining game. I won't spoil the result right now. 70k crowd.

A closely fought and entertaining game. I won't spoil the result right now. 70k crowd.

Guess what I forgot? It was daylight savings in Aust. and silly old me set it at normal time and missed half the game, thank goodness for the 8.30pm replay tonight.

Fantastic game Moto, loved every minute of it. Leeds were just too good in the end, with the Wolves making some terrible errors and panic plays in the final 10mins after Leeds hit the front. Some great skills on display, and for the love of me I can't understand why some Aussies say its a 2nd rate competition. No Way!!

The Leeds supporters should be praised and showed good sportsmanship by clapping the Wolves players when they were presented with their medals.
Also loved the signing & chanting and after match presentation and seeing so many females at the game.

BTW I just read on NRL.com that Leeds wants to come to Melbourne to play the WCC Match at AAMI Park.
That would be just awesome for the fans in Melbourne to see some International footy. I hope it comes to fruition.

That would be great. You have to hand it to Sinfield, though, come the big occasion, the man comes through. Rob Burrow was as lively as ever too. Lee Briers was never able to dictate the game as he often has this season, and much of the reason for that was Sinfield. Leeds were worthy winners.

Again.

There were loads of women there, and girls of all ages, and a friendly atmosphere that makes these occasions such a pleasure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, Coop, did you see this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/19863795

Apparently Sinfield kicked 21 out of 21 goals in the play-offs.

Yes I know, was kind of thinking could Storm borrow him for kicking duties after the final lol. Aside from that I think Sinfield a top player overall. Has he ever considered playing here in Aussie or is he the loyal type and only wants to play in England?

Thanks Moto, some things we did not get to see watching the game.

One thing I liked was the fact the English National Anthem was not played before the game, paying respect somewhat to players who were born in another country.

And loved that ExtraOrdinaryRugby.com signage around the ground. Did you know the Storm had a theme of No Ordinary Team for this year? I wonder if they pinched it from the Old Trafford ground? Cheeky buggers and I thought they came up with something original lol.

Yes I know, was kind of thinking could Storm borrow him for kicking duties after the final lol. Aside from that I think Sinfield a top player overall. Has he ever considered playing here in Aussie or is he the loyal type and only wants to play in England?

Did you see the very last picture in that link? :)

I think Sinfield has been at Leeds since Year Dot, really. He's too old to play in Australia now, and I think it's fair to say that in internationals in the past his lack of pace has been shown up. That said, he is a smart footballer with a good kicking game. Did you notice for his try, he was the one who put the bomb up, but he didn't stop there, and ran over to the corner to provide the support? There is talk of Ryan Hall going to the NRL, though. He is probably the best English back at the moment after Tomkins.

The Extraordinary thing was an RFL publicity campaign:

http://www.extraordinaryrugby.com/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back