No Oppo Supporters Essendon* - 7000 Milestone & Beyond 🥳 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's the * Edge. Whom in the * marketing realms actually pushed that one out? It is the most ridiculous and most stupid faux chest beating slogan I've heard since "whatever it takes".

AFL surely can't be taking this seriously? At least if I'm umpires boss I'm telling them to watch out for this sheetstain of a mob during their games at their off the ball tactics.

In further note, Slobbo is actually smelling what the * are cooking in his tackle column with a couple of whacks;
  • "Wright is very wrong" - over comments surrounding what else could he have done.... actually slow down or contest the ball.
  • "Where is *?" - noticing their leaky defence and below average pressure rating.
Not sure if Whately is taking the p.i.5.5 but he seems to be enjoying this edge patheticness... the guy is a Jeckyl and Hyde.

Don't think it was a good look the way Heeney and Papley responded to questions about the "Essendon Edge" BS which Scott was spouting last week ... but in their defence, it is pretty much a joke.

There's nothing about Essendon that is edgy. Indeed their defence and pressure around the ball has been their greatest weakness for many years. Talking about changing that does nothing. If Scott and Essendon supporters think actions such as those performed by Wright and Draper on Saturday night underpin their method of creating a tougher team approach, then they are in more trouble than we think.

Anyway, got me thinking about how Clarkson and Hawthorn managed the public comms about the "unsociable Hawks". Here's a quote from Clarkson in 2011 ... first line is very similar to the language Scott was using last week:
"We have always played our game on the edge and playing on the edge has seen us be very high in free kicks, very high in 50m penalties and last year, in particular, very high in going to the tribunal as well. We have come to the stage where the trend has been heading that way for five or six years. A lot of it has got to do with my leadership, the direction I give and the way that we want to play. But we have got to temper that. We can no longer afford to be 16th in the competition in some of those areas."

Of course, no-one believed Clarkson and the Hawks were going to temper their approach and they went on belting teams into submission. The main difference between Hawthorn then and Essendon now is that the Hawks had a history of success and, like it or not, players who had a demonstrated history of tough, uncompromising footy.

Essendon have neither - just look at the past two captains. I'm sure Heppell and Merrett are good guys but they don't have a physical presence and don't scream die in the trenches leaders to me.

This "edge" stuff is all tip, no iceberg.

If you think you’ve heard the worst Slobbo take you would ever hear. Think again.

He simply needs to retire.

GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

Scott was always going to try and get more aggro into them - that is his #1 wood and signature style since he was a sniping back pocket player at Brisbane and all teh way through his years at Norfs- defending snipers like Ziebell for playing with a hard edge.
you forgot sniping school teachers when playing international rules against Ireland, then again it couldv'e been his twin sister

If you think you’ve heard the worst Slobbo take you would ever hear. Think again.

He simply needs to retire.

He is quite distant from an eloquent analyst and communicator of the game.

He truly can barely utter his thoughts out loud.

I haven’t read an article of his in a long time so I’m not able to comment on that but please Fox make it stop.

Enough of the incoherent ranting and faux outrage, surely we can find someone who is articulate, knowledgeable and personable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Slobo is back in full barracking mode again. Whatelys look said it all. The only reason I think Gerard continues to work with the buffoon is that it actually makes him look more professional and gives him an aura of being a credible journalist as opposed to the "chief football writer of the Herald Sun".

The * player fake swung... **** me dead.... he was extremely lucky his decision to actually elbow and hit the player didn't transpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slobo is back in full barracking mode again. Whatelys look said it all. The only reason I think Gerard continues to work with the buffoon is that it actually makes him look more professional and gives him an aura of being a credible journalist as opposed to the "chief football writer of the Herald Sun".

The * player fake swung... **** me dead.... he was extremely lucky his decision to actually elbow and hit the player didn't transpire.

The Sydney players were almost amused by the whole thing. * edge (tm) ... is laughable.

He is quite distant from an eloquent analyst and communicator of the game.

He truly can barely utter his thoughts out loud.

I haven’t read an article of his in a long time so I’m not able to comment on that but please Fox make it stop.

Enough of the incoherent ranting and faux outrage, surely we can find someone who is articulate, knowledgeable and personable.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jason Dunatall was a good replacement when filling in for him…

Jason Dunatall was a good replacement when filling in for him

I think Dunstall is better than most ex-players for sure.

I would actually prefer a non ex-player. Some one who has sound knowledge of the game but also doesn't resort to chummy, blokey cliches. What we have at the moment is very same/same from every show and pre/post game segment.

The * player fake swung... * me dead.... he was extremely lucky his decision to actually elbow and hit the player didn't transpire.
They contrast with each other well: the bumbling fool with the balanced voice of reason. Almost like a comedic act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back