Essendon has now recieved the interim ASADA Investigation Report

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Please note the other thread is staying closed.

Facts
  • ASADA were assisted by the AFL integrity department, specifically Brett Clothier
  • ASADA received new powers by legislation effective August 1st which mean this investigation can be considered ongoing.
  • AFL legal counsel Andrew Dillon hosted the press conference, Andrew Demetriou returns tomorrow.
  • ASADA lodged a document of more than 400 pages, referencing more than 13,000 documents, including transcripts of interviews of more than 130 witnesses, late on Friday – but the investigation continues.
Statements

Andrew Dillon, AFL Legal Counsel

"I will oversee the AFL's response to the interim report and in due course will make the report available to the Essendon Football Club and the AFL Commission for their review," Dillon said.
"The AFL will continue to review the evidence collected to determine what action, if any, might be taken pursuant to the AFL rules and/or the AFL anti-doping code.
"The AFL acknowledges the intense interest in this matter and we will make further statements when appropriate."

ASADA Lead Investigator, Aurora Andrushka

"It is essential for the integrity of sport that ASADA comprehensively analyses the information it has now obtained. ASADA's enhanced powers ... are now available to be used to ensure all possible anti-doping rule violations are fully investigated and to finalise these matters as quickly and efficiently as possible.

"As a result, ASADA will not be providing any further comment on the investigation. This ensures the investigation's integrity as well as protecting the privacy and rights of any affected individuals. ASADA has a duty of care to be both thorough and accurate in every step of the process."

Essendon Football Club

Essendon Football Club acknowledges the announcement by the AFL that they have received the ASADA interim report.

The Club looks forward to receiving the Report and responding in due course.

I can't imagine any players being banned, it just seems too harsh to destroy a list of players that didn't try to cheat and have been duped by a dubious biochemist and let down by those in charge of their well being

But they will have to be the only ones that have ever get off under these circumstances in any sport anywhere in the world, and that's hard to imagine too

It is refreshing to see reason here.

Home stretch on this saga.

Essendon has to be accountable for whats been going on and the AFL will make sure that they are. As to player bans, I'm slightly leaning to thinking they won't receive any and they shouldn't. The players are victims in this and they don't deserve any sort of ban.

Athlete has strict liability.

That is all.

This is absolutely correct. If the players have taken banned or prohibited substances they will receive infraction notices, there can't possibly be any way around this. As to sanctions, mitigating circumstances may see a reduction in penalties, but I can't see there being a warning only. The precedent this would set would ultimately destroy WADA and I just can't see that happening. If prohibited substances have been taken the minimum sanction will be six months in-competition.

Just hours before drug authorities handed down their report, AFL chief Andrew Demetriou warned that no amount of public relations spin will influence the outcome of the Essendon drugs scandal.
The mood of the investigation has intensified in recent weeks, and heightened since Bombers chairman David Evans became the latest casualty and stepped down last weekend, along with the club's media adviser, Elizabeth Lukin.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-demetriou-20130802-2r52c.html#ixzz2aqZDzLeC

You state "strict liability" but what if WADA referred EFC to ASADA and they gave the green light ?

A) that refers ONLY to AOD9604. What about thymosin, hexarelin, cerebrolysin etc etc etc?
B) ASADA have constantly said they have not given approval to anyone to use that drug.

Saad is going to cop a 1 - 2 year whack for ingesting a protein shake on gameday.

Hird's flock injected banned substances multiple times.

It's not that hard

Agree re Saad. A players career potentially over for drinking an energy drink. The code is a joke. Needs to be some common sense on these things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A) that refers ONLY to AOD9604. What about thymosin, hexarelin, cerebrolysin etc etc etc?
B) ASADA have constantly said they have not given approval to anyone to use that drug.

Then it begs the question as to why the media and others are only really focusing on AOD ???

This is absolutely correct. If the players have taken banned or prohibited substances they will receive infraction notices, there can't possibly be any way around this. As to sanctions, mitigating circumstances may see a reduction in penalties, but I can't see there being a warning only. The precedent this would set would ultimately destroy WADA and I just can't see that happening. If prohibited substances have been taken the minimum sanction will be six months in-competition.
sigh. There is no precedent! As for destroying WADA, utter poppycock.

It's a spurious argument

Agree re Saad. A players career potentially over for drinking an energy drink. The code is a joke. Needs to be some common sense on these things.

Ridiculous isn't it, and unfortunately for your boys, if they are guilty, it's really bad timing.

Then it begs the question as to why the media and others are only really focusing on AOD ???

Because it had an exotic name? Also because that's where Essendon wanted them focused? Who knows? All I know is IN HERE, we were focusing more on thymosin and the other substances. They finally got around to talking about them in recent weeks in the media.

Just hours before drug authorities handed down their report, AFL chief Andrew Demetriou warned that no amount of public relations spin will influence the outcome of the Essendon drugs scandal.

Then again, that's exactly what he would say if he were looking for ways to go soft on them. At this stage, I trust absolutely nobody connected with this whole affair. It completely reeks from top to bottom.

sigh. There is no precedent! As for destroying WADA, utter poppycock.

It's a spurious argument

Please note Lance, I said IF they have taken banned substances. There is no question infraction notices have to be issued under those circumstances. IF banned substances were taken, there will only be a reduction in sanctions to a minimum of six months. Even if they do this, they run the risk of setting the "my dr told me it was ok" precedent, and WADA will not allow that because if they do, WADA becomes irrelevant.

Because it had an exotic name? Also because that's where Essendon wanted them focused? Who knows? All I know is IN HERE, we were focusing more on thymosin and the other substances. They finally got around to talking about them in recent weeks in the media.

Well you may as well add cows milk to YOUR focus because its flakey at best, and now you talk about exotic name theories and what Essendon wanted them focused on FFS

you're confused. Dank never said the players used hex

You could be right - but we certainly have discussed Hex in here since April.

Essendon Football Club has discovered in its records an invoice for the banned performance-enhancing supplement Hexarelin.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-find-bill-for-banned-drug-20130426-2ikou.html#ixzz2aqkxdPOi

Stephen Dank is back with a vengeance. The ‘sports scientist’ at the centre of February’s drug scandal involving the Essendon Bombers made another huge allegation on Wednesday, saying he personally injected Bombers’ coach James Hird with banned substances.
In an exclusive report from Fairfax Media, Dank said he administered Hird with a drug called Hexarelin and that Bombers’ players were given the anti-obesity drug AOD9604 during the 2012 season. In addition to the latest lot of allegations, Dank claims players were given extract from a pig’s brain normally used to treat Alzheimer’s and first milk from a mother cow.
http://www.craveonline.com/sports/a...on-bombers-embroiled-in-more-drug-allegations
Mr Alavi was supplying peptides Thymosin Beta 4 and Hexarelin, both banned by WADA because of their performance-enhancing effects, to former Essendon sports scientist Stephen Dank. Essendon Football Club invoices suggest both substances were supplied to the club. Mr Dank has strenuously denied giving players anything illegal or harmful.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...to-beat-ban-20130722-2qf3x.html#ixzz2Zp14MFRg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back