Essendon uncover peptides invoice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not proof it was for players... but who else would the club pay for?

Officials?

Did they pay for it? If not, why is the invoice at the club?

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-uncover-peptide-invoice-20130426-2iknf.html

Essendon uncover peptide invoice

Nick McKenzie, Richard Baker April 27, 2013

The Essendon Football Club has discovered in its records an invoice for the banned performance enhancing supplement Hexarelin. Fairfax Media can also reveal that an elite Australian athlete managed by one of the club's top officials was intravenously administered with vitamins at the same clinic used by the bombers and its sports scientist Stephen Dank.

In other revelations, Fairfax Media can report that:

Dank's lawyers have signalled they plan to sue AFL boss Andrew Demetriou for defaming the sports scientist and are also examining whether they can sue the Bombers over the way they sacked Dank last September;

Confidential documents show that the Demons told league officials in February that the club doctor had ''communications'' with Dank and that players had been given vitamin injections at an external medical clinic;

Demons doctor Dan Bates failed to disclose to the club's internal review in March that he had asked co-captain Jack Trengrove to use a cream containing an anti-obesity drug which was this week banned by doping authorities.

The failure of anyone at Essendon to raise alarm bells after the Hexarelin invoice was sent to the Bombers last year is one of a number of internal failings that exposed Bombers players to a supplement program that included potentially banned or harmful drugs.

Another aspect of this governance failure involves the uncritical support of Dank's methods by senior staff at the Bombers, who have since described his practices as ''shocking.''

The endorsement of some of Dank's methods by Essendon operations manager Danny Corcoran included an elite Australian athlete Mr Corcoran manages - he is the former head of Athletics Australia - attending a health clinic opposite the club to have vitamins intravenously administered by medical staff. Dank never injected the athlete, who is an Olympic hopeful.

The same Windy Hill clinic was used by Dank to administer vitamins intravenously to the Bombers players. The use of vitamins by athletes is not banned by the World Anti Doping Body unless the dosages exceed a certain amount. But the Bombers were also given injections of anti-obesity drug AOD-9604, which was banned by WADA on Tuesday, by Dank.

For his private practice perhaps...

BTW your website is turning into one massive Bay 13 judging by this forum.

The Hexarelin invoice discovered by the Bombers was sent to the club by Mr Dank's business associate, South Yarra chemist Nima Alavi. The invoice is not proof that anyone at the club took the drug, which stimulates the production of human growth hormone and which was banned by WADA in 2004.

The existence of the invoice is further complicated by the fact that Mr Dank was separately treating private patients while employed by the Bombers and using Mr Alavi to supply both the club and his private business.

Mr Dank has stressed that he never used Hexarelin on any players at Essendon, although he has said he has used the drug on up to six club officials, including coach James Hird. Privately, Hird has strongly denied he knowingly took Hexarelin. It is also unclear whether Essendon actually paid for the Hexarelin listed on the invoice.

The Bombers don't have a copy of this letter from WADA, yet they've managed to hold onto an invoice for a banned drug.

Essendon should tip all these muppets out for their lack of corporate governance.

Even Jack Elliott couldn't create this sort of mess at an AFL club.

BTW your website is turning into one massive Bay 13 judging by this forum.
This board is for this topic. It will raise a few tempers now and again but the topic is out there in front of us.

It would be silly to ignore it.

If you think people are behaving very badly please report them.

I've said it before: madness to have the stuff anywhere near the club. If officials want to take it then they should do it at arm's length from the club and be up front about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, let's just think about this for a minute. An AFL club generally doesn't find itself being sent an invoice that isn't for it's own use. Further, it is unusual that said invoice would have been retained if this wasn't the case.
I don't think players ever took it. Was it officials?

If Demetriou tries to cover this disgrace up, Mike Fitzpatrick needs to step up to the damn plate.

Mr Dank gave them that out clause but Hirdy refused to take it.

As if no player got "the good stuff" along with Hirdy and Goodie.

Once again Essendon will lie, until they are outed AGAIN.

Clearly package and invoice was meant for a Hank Stephens at the Essendon Doutta Stars.

Obviously someone in accounts left their glasses at home that day and paid it by mistake.

Australia Post must also take some blame for the delivery.

Does anyone use screw-ins any more? Haven't bought footy boots in a while but thought they went out for moulds years ago.
I wonder whether the style of boots was the central point of his post?

As incompetent as this whole mess has shown them to be, I don't think they ever would've administered this stuff to the players either. You'd think the latest development doesn't strengthen the "I never took that" claims of a few coaches.

While there was plenty of speculation something like this might exist, I didn't actually believe they'd be that stupid.

If the excuse is it was for Hird, that implicates him in knowingly bringing banned substances into the club and on that alone he must go. They are running short on plausible excuses to save his arse if they try that one.

Looks like we're going to get drip feed Ziggy's report in an attempt to minimise the damage.

The AFL need to step in now.

Most likely, could have been for the Weapon's personal use, could have been for the whole coaching panel. But I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting it went to a player.

If Demetriou tries to cover this disgrace up, Mike Fitzpatrick needs to step up to the damn plate.

Played for Carlton, must be above reproach. Hasn't said anything publicly yet though, perhaps he needs to be penalised (again) for wasting time?

I wonder whether the style of boots was the central point of his post?

In this age of repetitiveness, it was the most thought provoking thing I'd read on here all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back