Remove this Banner Ad

Karlostj

All Australian
Oct 31, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I think that Essendon should have a ruthless approach to delisting this year. This looks to be a super strong draft, where we'll have strong picks as well as high PSD and rookie picks.

In the past we have been hesitant to delist players, not wanting it to come back and bite us. Which meant that many a player has spent too long on our list.

Due to many of the players on our lists being younger, there could be a tendency for the club to hold off delisting them in the hope that they could be a late developer....

I don't think that this is the draft for that sort of attitude. We look like finishing bottom or very close to it. Players that are borderline delistings should be delisted or at least traded if possible. Perhaps they'll come back to hurt us, but thats a risk I think the club needs to take. Have a look at Sam Hunt or Ted Richards, Bullen Haynes.... it took us years to decide on these guys and they're hardly setting the world on fire now they've gone.

I think that 7-10 spots could easily be filled from the draft/PSD/rookie upgrades.

i dont see us making too many drastic changes this year. Especially after the past 2 seasons clear outs.

maybe only 2-3 delisted

I don't think there'll be no more than 7 spots filled through the Darft, PSD and/or Rookie promotions.

With Cartledge, Rioli, Henneman and Reynolds almost certain goners and possible even Bolton (who knows) there may only be 1 or 2 tough decisions to make, and it all depends on the futures of Hird and Rama also

koc#41 said:
i dont see us making too many drastic changes this year. Especially after the past 2 seasons clear outs.

maybe only 2-3 delisted

2-3 delistings.... so in the strongest draft ever we use say 1-2 picks (that might not even use our priority pick if we qualify) and then take one in the PSD?

We must get rid of at least 6. Assuming we get a priority pick, that would mean, picks 1, 17, 18, 34, 50, a rookie upgrade and a PSD pick.

Karlostj said:
2-3 delistings.... so in the strongest draft ever we use say 1-2 picks (that might not even use our priority pick if we qualify) and then take one in the PSD?

We must get rid of at least 6. Assuming we get a priority pick, that would mean, picks 1, 17, 18, 34, 50, a rookie upgrade and a PSD pick.
Name the 6

I think an early call will be made on Lucy or Neagle.

I think we'll turn over around 7.

Cartledge, Henneman, Reynolds, Bolton?, Lucy/Neagle, Rioli retiring.

If Hird or Rama retire then there might be a lucky person.

If they don't then there might need to be a tough call made with Pev, Heff, Lonergan, Winderlich, Dyson in the mix.

Don't think anyone should be upgraded from the Rookie List.

jules101 said:
Name the 6

its not easy. I know that, but I think that we could really regret it if we go light in this draft. We took picks up to 50 last year, and two PSD picks, if did less then that in this years draft - which is apparently the strongest ever, then we would be silly.

I think that Rama, Rioli, Hird should all retire, unless any of them has a strong believe that they will be able to make a significant contribution to the side.

Others that will be possible deslistings are: Carts, Reynolds, Henno, Bolton, Peverill...

The other possibility would be to trade a player and a pick for a higher pick, eg Welsh and our 3rd or 4th round pick for another sides 2nd round pick - hypothetical. Thats a good way of shedding some players and at the same time getting value for them.

If we get rid of 10 players in a season where we win 8 matches, and only get rid of 4 in a season we finish with what looks to be 2-4 wins, it would be pretty strange... Obviously there are reasons, why we have finished lower, but we need to use at least 4 rounds of picks in the draft, along with a PSD pick and probably a rookie up grade - thats 6 players, if we get a priority pick that would be 7.

Some tough decisions need to be made.

go_the_bombers said:

this season has been alright for bolton. whilst he hasnt been in the best at all, he hasnt been the worst either, my thinking is they will offer a new contract for him..although i hope not

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should lobby the AFL to let us place Rama on the rookie list or something similar while he is sick. It seems wrong that we have to make a decison on his future when no-one is really sure what his future is.

Bolton's just doing enough atm to make himself not seem like an automatic delisting.

Hopefully he dominates for the next 4 rounds and we get a good trade for him.

carn_the_dons said:
this season has been alright for bolton. whilst he hasnt been in the best at all, he hasnt been the worst either, my thinking is they will offer a new contract for him..although i hope not

Or Bolton could be raising his trade value;)

I wonder if someone unexpected will go this year, like Thomas last season....

At one point there were rumours about JJ perhaps retiring at the end of the season... Looking forward to an active trading and drafting period this year!

Im tipping 5 at best....Rioli, Rama, Carts, Henneman and Reynolds and sticking to past drafts.....one of them to be redrafted .... Rama!

Bolton and Pev will be retained as depth players at the very least.

Solly doesnt warrant being delisted.

Im predicting a 3 way deal though involving one of our seniors.

Crave said:
Im tipping 5 at best....Rioli, Rama, Carts, Henneman and Reynolds and sticking to past drafts.....one of them to be redrafted .... Rama!

Bolton and Pev will be retained as depth players at the very least.

Solly doesnt warrant being delisted.

Im predicting a 3 way deal though involving one of our seniors.

If we finish with 3.5 wins, we could get picks 1, 17, 18, 34, 50, 66 etc.

Jolley is a reasonable chance of getting promoted, plus we will get a player in the PSD...

If we upgrade Jolley and take a pick in the PSD, and we only delisted 5 players, that would mean only using picks 1, 17 and 18... We wouldn't be taking pick 34, which in this draft is sort of like pick 20ish in most drafts... You don't think Essendon will be using this pick or pick 50?

Realistically, I think Essendon will draft 4 or 5 players, upgrade a rookie and take a PSD pick thats around 7 players.

Rioli
Reynolds
Cartledge
Henneman
Rama (could stay on list another year and allow Ben Jolley to be upgraded)
Peverill
Bolton

Possible trade candidates
Dyson, M. Johnson, Solomon, Welsh, Bradley

Bradley is an interesting one, I think he is worthy or a mid to late first round draft pick.

Also I know it sounds silly with his form at the moment, but Lucas could be a surprise trade? Would Geelong give up their draft pick (possibly number 8) for one last crack at a premiership? Do we need him with Lloyd returning and Johns an emerging power forward?

Of the candidates
Rioli: Would love to see him stay and play well, but all we know he won't be of any value to the club any more unfortunately. Sorry to see him go. RETIRE

Bolton: Having in my opinion his best season of his career, the problem is it is still nothing special. He needed to be having this season at 21-22, when he was emerging, not now when how old is he 27? As Longy said 9 years of not improving, it is too late to start now. DELIST

Cartledge: Went and saw him play his one match for the year against the Kangaroos and just don't think he's up to it. Done one nice thing in his career and that was his first goal where he baulked someone from the St K last year and nailed one from 50. That's about it. Not gonna make it. DELIST

Henneman: Was always on the chopping block like Bolts. Unlike Bolts hasn't had a chance to prove his value, and won't again unfortunately. Sad but gotta go. DELIST

Solomon: Solly, after a poor start, is having a far more productive year than last and has battled hard for us, finally getting some match time. Several think his absolute best is behind him, and maybe, but I still think he can get much better than this year and last if he can get a full pre-season without his knee giving up on him all the time. RETAIN

Pev: Great form over the last month has saved him from being an automatic to a possible delist. It's true in a great side he wouldn't get a game maybe but his kicking isn't as bad as his action looks and he's (from all reports) the hardest training player at the club and a gerat clubman. Should keep him for depth for one, and as an example around the club. RETAIN

Reynolds: Has had his time to prove his worth. Started to show a little in the Roos game where he put through 2.4 (?) but his game against Carlton was the clincher for me. Was just woeful. Plus the fact he can't kick over 40 metres. Time is up DELIST

There's also talk of trading Dyson, which I think is stupid considering the signs he has shown. Maybe a bit lazy but that can be fixed and is only 20 or something. Had his face smashed in at the start of the season, and that possibly was a reason he had such a slow start. Was playing great footy at the end of last year. Must keep.
Mark Johnson has been good this year, not great, but very solid in most games has been a legend of the club shouldn't even think about getting rid of him. Same goes for Scottie, JJ (unless he does want to retire) Welsh probably cops an undeserved amount of criticism, but does need to improve next year. Still undecided on Kep, but would like to see him get another year under his belt before a decision is made.

Finally, haven't seen enough VFL to comment on the first yearers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back