Roast Essendon's Early 2018 Form - aka the holy **** how did we lose to Carlton thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It was terrible losing to them (but it was 'very' Essendon for that to happen) ... but it has actually been a blessing in disguise.

It allowed us to reach the 'rock bottom' we needed to then provide the catalyst in such games as Geelong, GWS (away), Brisbane (away), West Coast (away) & North Melbourne.

We hated it at the time but it has proven to be a positive. They haven't won a game since and haven't looked like it... whilst we (despite some significant injuries) have been extremely consistent.

Ask the hypothetical question to any Carlton fan at the moment: "Would you rather have lost to Essendon but then go on and win 6 of your next 8 ... or keep the win against Essendon?"

There will be some delusional ferals (Barb) that would say "Keep the Bomber win!" because they are dumb flogs... but the choice would be obvious to any of their fans with an ounce of common sense.

It was terrible losing to them (but it was 'very' Essendon for that to happen) ... but it has actually been a blessing in disguise.

It allowed us to reach the 'rock bottom' we needed to then provide the catalyst in such games as Geelong, GWS (away), Brisbane (away), West Coast (away) & North Melbourne.

We hated it at the time but it has proven to be a positive. They haven't won a game since and haven't looked like it... whilst we (despite some significant injuries) have been extremely consistent.

Ask the hypothetical question to any Carlton fan at the moment: "Would you rather have lost to Essendon but then go on and win 6 of your next 8 ... or keep the win against Essendon?"

There will be some delusional ferals (Barb) that would say "Keep the Bomber win!" because they are dumb flogs... but the choice would be obvious to any of their fans with an ounce of common sense.
The sensibility, and positivity! You must truly be on a beach in Brazil.

I reckon the 4 day ANZAC day break, kinda messed us up. The Wednesday ANZAC day games are not helpful for playing good consistent footy and its no coincidence that in the games after that we really stunk it up. Playing 3 games in 11 days or whatever it is, is just really difficult to handle. Our confidence just ebbed really low during that period and we would have lost to anyone.

There were some other problems, new players took time to find their feet at Essendon but as they were playing major roles it had a fair impact on the team plus implementation of new gamestyle. Our midfield did not work well defensively early in the year but it has massively improved as time went on and I think a lot of it was structural issues.

Daniher playing injured hurt us massively (both in terms of being crap on field and in making his groin issues worse) and Fantasia was injured and then very underdone during the early season. Merrett came in with his concussion issues and being heavily tagged and it took a while for him to work through it. Basically important players weren't able to play their best. Tippa also played carrying something early season and some games could barely run. Our forward line was left miles below its full strength.

Perhaps we don't need to play a game on Anzac Day every year.

I'll tell you what it affected the most.

Any chance of getting stuck into Blues fans like all the other clubs get too this year with out copping a swift backhander.

In BF currency this is disastrous...

Seriously though, we lost because those short breaks kill us, they always lift for us regardless and we had some mystery mood clouds with coaches communication and strategies boiling over...

It's done and it sucks but at least we know we arnt them...

In the early hours of Saturday morning my 78 year old father suffered a heart attack. It was a shock to us all and it really hit home regarding his mortality.

I got a phone call from my younger brother on Saturday letting me know what had happened and not to drop everything as he was in good hands and very responsive.

Needless to say, come 7:30 that night it had been a long day and I was very much over it. Thank goodness for the football. Well the second half anyway.

On Sunday I went and visited him at the Royal Melbourne Hospital with my younger brother. We brought him some books to read along with the newspaper. He seemed a bit slow and at times confused, very much that of a person who had suffered a significant internal injury. It was hard to see.

As soon as we spoke of the Essendon game he chirped up. A little flicker emerged in his eyes and it was just what we needed to see. From there we started talking about umpiring and our list and then something happened. He asked ‘How’d Carlton go?’ My younger brother being the always gracious member of the family advised him they’d lost yet again and their whole club appears on the edge of oblivion. He then said it was all very sad. My Father, with tubes sticking out of him looked at my younger brother with a steely angered focus and said the two words all true Essendon people say, ‘* Carlton!’

It was at that moment I knew he’d be alright.

This is a true story.

Last edited:
Because we sucked really badly at the time and football isn’t a binary scale where the better side always prevails.

I swear some of you have masochistic tendencies with how often you keep obsessing about this loss.
This one of those situations where your extensive vocabulary will inevitably result in further anger Dossman. RAEEEGG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just glad we were able to help it a fellow Victorian club in a time of need

Because we sucked really badly at the time and football isn’t a binary scale where the better side always prevails.

I swear some of you have masochistic tendencies with how often you keep obsessing about this loss.

You ain’t seen nothing Dossy. Wait till we smash Richmond in round 22, but still miss out on the 8 by less than 1 percent.

I don't know about you guys, but if Carlton were to only win 1 game a season for the rest of my football watching days, I'd take that hit if it was to be us they beat.

For the sake of the greater good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back