Travel EUROPE: Travel Tips & Tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Heading to Europe at the end of August until end of September by myself, which is completely out of my comfort zone.

So far on the list of cities to visit I've decided on London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Munich, Vienna, Prague, Berlin and Amsterdam. Any others i should be considering?

Basically after any advice on what to do/see, where to go or places to stay. Also how would be the best way to go about meeting people to have a few big nights every now and then? Just stay at hostels?

For work in London, get your CVs and walk from pub to pub around Covant Gardens/Picadilly.

If you can get some relevant experience before you go all the better.

I was looking for bar work, but my experience cooking got me work in a pub kitchen. Was low pay, but it paid the bills and introduced me to new people until I found better work.

Heading to Europe at the end of August until end of September by myself, which is completely out of my comfort zone.

So far on the list of cities to visit I've decided on London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Munich, Vienna, Prague, Berlin and Amsterdam. Any others i should be considering?

Basically after any advice on what to do/see, where to go or places to stay. Also how would be the best way to go about meeting people to have a few big nights every now and then? Just stay at hostels?
Yeah, hostels. You'll meet plenty enough.

You've picked some good cities. I'd add Florence.

Depends what you're in to really. Vienna is great just to wander. Hundertwasser's architecture there is pretty cool. Terezin concentration camp just outside Prague is haunting. Paris has great street art off the main tourist trails. Do a canal ride rather than a Seine cruise. Museum of London is a good half day history lesson for free. Catacombs in Rome are worth a look. Berlin walking tours are great.
Paris to Rome is a long trip. Could break it up and stay at Marseille (cheaper than Monaco, but close enough for a day trip and topless sunbathers too)

Hostels. You won't even have to try. Just sit in the communal room and people will literally strike up a conversation with you and pretty much everyone staying in hostels are either going out that night or are going to do something so you can always tag along. The cities you are visiting won't be hard to find "party" hostels either, just search up and read reviews on hostelworld or something.

You'll have a blast. I did a lot of the cities you are doing during my first visit to Europe when I was 19 and it was my first time overseas on my own, didn't know what to expect and was entirely out of my comfort zone but had an awesome time. I'm actually back in Europe again this year and will be meeting up with a lot of people I met last time who live over there, but this time will be studying on exchange in the Netherlands. I'll probably be doing a month or two of travelling after my studies finish though.

Through these big cities there are also a whole bunch of 'free' walking tours (End donations if you want) - Plenty of young people trawling along those to get their 'culture' fill before getting thrashed every night, easy place to strike up a convo pending the group make up.

Other than, as mentioned the communal areas in hostels will do you fine.

Shameless plug but I'm writing a travel blog while over in Europe, feel free to have a read. http://iflewtoeurope.com

I think I've fallen into the journalistic trap a little bit by writing too formally, so that's probably the thing I'll try and change in future posts (it's hard though as that's what I've been taught). It really is a memoir as much as a blog though, hence I thought some of you guys might enjoy reminiscing on your times in Europe.

Have definitely utilised a few of the tips in this thread, as well as made my own mistakes, of which they won't be the last! Cheers.

Shameless plug but I'm writing a travel blog while over in Europe, feel free to have a read. http://iflewtoeurope.com

I think I've fallen into the journalistic trap a little bit by writing too formally, so that's probably the thing I'll try and change in future posts (it's hard though as that's what I've been taught). It really is a memoir as much as a blog though, hence I thought some of you guys might enjoy reminiscing on your times in Europe.

Have definitely utilised a few of the tips in this thread, as well as made my own mistakes, of which they won't be the last! Cheers.
Not what I thought you would look like. I just assumed you somewhat resembled your avatar for some strange reason!

As someone who is heading to Europe in a month ill give it a read. Where are you off to post UK?

Last edited:
Not what I thought you would look like. I just assumed you somewhat resembled your avatar for some strange reason!

As someone who is heading to Europe in a month ill give it a read. Where are you off to post UK?

Haha, I don't know how to respond to that! Portugal next, heading to NOS Alive festival there which should be sick. Then nothing booked further to that so just booking on the run, a bit like what I've done in the UK

Haha, I don't know how to respond to that! Portugal next, heading to NOS Alive festival there which should be sick. Then nothing booked further to that so just booking on the run, a bit like what I've done in the UK
Haha no response required really! * I want to go to that festival badly, the lineup is brilliant. sadly I don't get to Europe till the 12th July then it's sail Croatia 16th-23rd July. Then just over two weeks of booking on the run for me before a week in Japan to finish

I went to most of those over the last few months. I found Paris extremely overrated and Berlin very very "war-related". Rome, Prague and Vienna would be the top 3 there.

Budapest is another one I did which was beautiful, but obviously you cant fit in everything.

Be aware of scams, rip offs, pick pockets in Paris and Rome. Probably two of the worst cities for that sort of stuff. Didnt have any issues with it in the other places though. If anyone approaches you for any reason in Paris or Rome, assume its dodgy. It obviously isnt always, but the safest way to avoid hassles is to ignore or say no thank you, just keep walking no matter what becauase we saw a lot of stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barcelona. Just go.
It's pretty great but it's a bit overrated. The saturation of tourists is good for a day or two but then you get incredibly sick or how corny it is. It's also bad walking around with your hands in pockets because of the little pickpocketing little bastards around. And then there's the plethora of flogs you meet which is way higher in concentration than most European cities.

Spain is awesome. But you want to see a few more cities where it's cheaper, the tourists aren't as common... Malaga was amazing, probably my favourite place I went in Europe. Would love to go down the coast of Portugal then the north coast of Spain, but that's next.

Kudos to you, not too many make their way to Cadbury World. I thought that place was really cool, even did the 4D cinema. He did a lot of good for people in that area.
If you end up in Lisbon, take a ride on one of the old trams. Those drivers are Cray Cray.

Kudos to you, not too many make their way to Cadbury World. I thought that place was really cool, even did the 4D cinema. He did a lot of good for people in that area.
If you end up in Lisbon, take a ride on one of the old trams. Those drivers are Cray Cray.

Haha, Lisbon is my next stop after London actually. Really looking forward to both it and Porto.

There were a heap of school kids around when I went to Cadbury World but that seems like a common thing. Cool to hear you went too, I liked it and the gift shop was well priced.

It's pretty great but it's a bit overrated. The saturation of tourists is good for a day or two but then you get incredibly sick or how corny it is. It's also bad walking around with your hands in pockets because of the little pickpocketing little bastards around. And then there's the plethora of flogs you meet which is way higher in concentration than most European cities.

Spain is awesome. But you want to see a few more cities where it's cheaper, the tourists aren't as common... Malaga was amazing, probably my favourite place I went in Europe. Would love to go down the coast of Portugal then the north coast of Spain, but that's next.

Any other places in spain you'd recommend champ? Have a week or so tentitively pencilled in there for September

Any other places in spain you'd recommend champ? Have a week or so tentitively pencilled in there for September
Madrid is cool. If you go to Madrid, jump on the bus to Toledo. Definitely worth the visit. If you're not a greeny, go and watch some bullfighting. Best live sport I've ever seen. Such a brilliant traditional and cultural event. Great atmosphere in the old historic stadium, crowd cheering as one, live music playing, and of course the cerveza.

Can't understand the outcry about the running of the Bulls. I went to Pamplona and it was awesome. The Bulls was just the excuse to have 14 or so days of partying.

There are unlawful wars and immense human suffering throughout the world and these people are more interested in a few bulls.

I'll be based in the Netherlands for a few months at the end of this year. I'm hoping to do some travelling to cities in Central Europe like Vienna, Prague, Budapest. What's the most efficient (balancing cost and time efficient) way to get to one of those cities from Amsterdam; plane or Eurail?

I'd suspect travelling between Vienna, Prague and Budapest would best be done through Eurail though right?

I'll be based in the Netherlands for a few months at the end of this year. I'm hoping to do some travelling to cities in Central Europe like Vienna, Prague, Budapest. What's the most efficient (balancing cost and time efficient) way to get to one of those cities from Amsterdam; plane or Eurail?

I'd suspect travelling between Vienna, Prague and Budapest would best be done through Eurail though right?
Did Budapest, Prague, Vienna as part of a Europe trip a while ago, so prices may have changed. It was definitely cheaper, much more aesthetically pleasing and when you take in to account travel time to and from airports and waiting around to board planes, it's not actually that much slower. In short, I'd recommend the train. Book set seats if you can, just in case the train is full, you don't want to sit in a corridor for a few hours.

IMO Amsterdam is boring. It's a pretty city but so many places within a three hour plane trip also have nice canals running through them. I guess it's okay for novelties sake if you're 19 and want to smoke weed every day but I found it a bit lacking.

I can't really comment on Granada as the full day I had there I spent shivering and shaking with a bile-spew hangover until about midnight. It looked cool on the way in though.

I'm thinking of going to northern and maybe central Spain next year and then down the coast to Portugal next year. I went to Malaga, Granada, Valencia, and Barcelona last time... heard Madrid was overrated... but where is is good aside from those four cities, as I said, probably north of them all too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back