Sport Everything Soccer

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why I was in shock Bert didn't bring him on for Nabbout when he got injured.

The setting was perfect for it. The way Arzani was getting the ball into the box, I feel Timmy would have got on the end of them much better than Juric

Maybe Bert knows Tim has one moment - and game 2 wasn't yet the moment - saving it for tomorrow night

I agree with you on Maclaren over Kruse, but still think Arzani take Nabbout spot, then if/when he's out of puff, bring in Tim for the last 15-20mins.
If we're going Maclaren/Arzani, Jamie would be playing up front. But I feel that Maclaren/Juric would be the right move with Jamie on the left.

What do you guys reckon? If we're going by current day players:

Harris Andrews
Conor McKenna - Rory Thompson - Lachie Keefe - Kade Simpson
Brendan Goddard - Luke Hodge
Zach Tuohy - Gary Rohan - Cyril Rioli
Sam Draper
Keeper: Harris Andrews has that Fletcher quality about him in goals. Athletic, good reach, best option for GK IMO

Defence: McKenna obviously for round ball background, I like the 6'6" tall and athletic combo of Thompson and Keefe (who comes from a soccer background I believe) and Simpson for that assuredness on the left

Holding mids: Goddard and Hodge are two physical players with good ball skills and creativity.

Attacking mids: Tuohy again for the Irish background, Rohan an athletic 6'3" attacker who has good ball skills and Cyril because, well, he's Cyril

Striker: Draper is big, athletic and comes from a soccer background. If he played somewhere else just put him there and someone like Brodie Grundy there.

Draper was a keeper was he not?
Was he? Well if that's the case, put him in goals. Oh and do you know what position Zac Smith played?

Very disappointing campaign.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went into the cup thinking we'd be embarrassed but came away a little prouder.

4 years to find a striker.

Glad Timmy got some minutes in his final match.

No difference to last world cup.

Gallant loss to Chile, served it to Holland then lost last to Spain.

Attack mindset or defence..same result.
I think we played better this world cup, just fell apart where it matters most, in front of goals.

Not sure I am happy with Arnold taking over though, think it will be a step backwards.

People raging on Risdon are seeing what they want to see. He was most improved according to BVM this WC and I can't help but think he settled himself in the side. He was better than several of the 15 players we used.

people also saying we got better with cahill on? We would have gone thru with more timmy time...

meh

all I saw was the game become more messy, less structured and more long balls.

I don't think that's better - all good things start from structure and predictability - the more you can control the better you will be.

Thought once Tim was on we lost control of situations, namely when they had the ball

people also saying we got better with cahill on? We would have gone thru with more timmy time...

meh

all I saw was the game become more messy, less structured and more long balls.

I don't think that's better - all good things start from structure and predictability - the more you can control the better you will be.

Thought once Tim was on we lost control of situations, namely when they had the ball
Again, people seeing what they want to see. Did we even see a chance when Cahill went on?

Again, people seeing what they want to see. Did we even see a chance when Cahill went on?

I don't understand what you mean?

we still have a zero in the goals column - nothing changed, people saying tim was criminally under used.

Maclaren was the only striker scoring for his club, fit and firing.

zero minutes.

if anyone was under used its he.

its bugs me that Juric came in inj and after the game admitted he wasn't right all along.. what's so team orientated about that?

reminds me of spider kalac in Germany... wakes up with a back spasm, cant move - dosent tell anyone because he wants to play - lets in howler goal vs Croatia.

selfish.

I don't understand what you mean?

we still have a zero in the goals column - nothing changed, people saying tim was criminally under used.

Maclaren was the only striker scoring for his club, fit and firing.

zero minutes.

if anyone was under used its he.

its bugs me that Juric came in inj and after the game admitted he wasn't right all along.. what's so team orientated about that?

reminds me of spider kalac in Germany... wakes up with a back spasm, cant move - dosent tell anyone because he wants to play - lets in howler goal vs Croatia.

selfish.

Serious? FFS.

And yeah, Maclaren not getting a look in was frustrating. He did everything a guy could be expected to do to be ready for this World Cup, yet he barely made the squad.

People raging on Risdon are seeing what they want to see. He was most improved according to BVM this WC and I can't help but think he settled himself in the side. He was better than several of the 15 players we used.

I didn't say Risdon didn't get better, however he was always going to be a liability. Same could be said with Milligan.
In regards to Risdon we're telling the guy who plays A-League to defend against the best/fastest wingers in the world and be attacking at the same time.
It was a huge ask and he acquitted himself well for the most part, BUT he was up against from the word go.
He tried his best but we need a 'proper' RB. Someone who can be dangerous going forward and far more solid when required in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back