Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone of the same opinion the draft should be scrapped next season and reduce the comp into a one month timeframe? It doesn’t look like we are really losing any of these players for significantly more money (or even more money at all in Overton’s case), they just had uncertainty with the draft and couldn’t just re-sign with their teams (eg Billings). If the comp is 4 weeks we can avoid the clash with these comps too.
Could squeeze more weekend double headers if they wanted to.

Anyone of the same opinion the draft should be scrapped next season and reduce the comp into a one month timeframe? It doesn’t look like we are really losing any of these players for significantly more money (or even more money at all in Overton’s case), they just had uncertainty with the draft and couldn’t just re-sign with their teams (eg Billings). If the comp is 4 weeks we can avoid the clash with these comps too.
Get rid of the draft.

You only really need to reduce the length of the tournament by a week.

Should try and finish it before the AO, or have the finals on that weekend.

And the draft was stupid, is stupid and will always be stupid. So unneeded. The Hurricanes don't need any assistance in picking dud internationals thank you

I think that's too early to finish. Allowing for finals that means finishing the minor round at the end if the first week of January? That's been the best time for the comp.

As one commentator said a few weeks ago, 'Big Bash, where people go who don't watch cricket'.

Should be December 26-January 26 with as many double headers as needed. Tests to finish Jan 6 so a test players can be involved.
40 games this season seems to be a winner but player availability through the whole tournament has always been an issue.

Maybe 40 games across a month with a dozen or so double headers could work well. It doesn't have to be all Perth second game double headers either, there's opportunity to play some late afternoon / twilight games before a 730 2nd game, and before anyone says it's too hot, the same players play day cricket with here and internationally anyway through their careers, and crowds attend Test matches in blistering heat so I couldn't see it as a big issue half a dozen times in the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be December 26-January 26 with as many double headers as needed. Tests to finish Jan 6 so Test players can be involved.
Doubt we see the New Year's Test start before Jan 3/4 ever again.

If anyone was a betting person, Id tip the Heat to go out in straight sets. Their team is a pale imitation of what it was with Munro and Billings.
Another Scorchers - Sixers final?

Doubt we see the New Year's Test start before Jan 3/4 ever again.
Tend to agree but should start Jan 2; very few Tests are going the full five days these days.

If anyone was a betting person, Id tip the Heat to go out in straight sets. Their team is a pale imitation of what it was with Munro and Billings.
Another Scorchers - Sixers final?
Possible but I’m worried about the Strikers. They beat a stronger Scorchers team earlier in the season and haven’t lost anyone of note, I believe.

Tend to agree but should start Jan 2; very few Tests are going the full five days these days.

Possible but I’m worried about the Strikers. They beat a stronger Scorchers team earlier in the season and haven’t lost anyone of note, I believe.
They lost Lynn and Overton who were both in the team of the tournament.

If the Scorchers get Matt Short out early they win. If he hangs around Strikers have a good chance

Nah. Jan 3 is good. I don't even mind Jan 4 when they do it.

then we just scrap it, and play BBL from Boxing Day onwards. :drunk:
I actually think that's the way forward, tbh.

No tests in January - BBL starts on Boxing Day, and once that test is over, they all head to their BBL teams. BBL goes solid all through January, and then if there are any more tests to play, they can resume in February. If it means we play a five-test Ashes series starting in early to mid-November, so be it. That's when the tests used to start anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back