Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

so what's the solution for this specific issue? (excl rescheduling the Test)
Play at least two or three games in Perth/Adelaide? Games will be finished by 9.30-10.30pm. Continues the BBL, gives cricket lovers a whole day to watch cricket. The only reason not to is because east coast viewers would have to stay up late.

The only reason not to is because east coast viewers would have to stay up late.
And there's the rub.... I'm sure there's a formula somewhere but I'm guessing that time would mean considerably lower advertising revenue.

Thing is, done well it would still be worthwhile. Fewer eyeballs perhaps but they could focus on niche non eastern based sponsorship.

What is worth pointing out about the BBL 'peaking' in the 2015-16 summer is that the West Indies were here and anything that happened in the BBL was going to be more memorable than what happened in the West Indies tests which were on at the same time as the BBL that summer. You can point to the 86,000 + who went to the MCG Melbourne derby that season but many of those probably chose to attend that game instead of a days play from the Boxing Day Test against the West Indies. Every game being on free to air helped the BBL at that time too.

Last edited:
* it was so big a few years back, had decent crowds throughout, 80k at the G for the Melbourne derby. Shame it's declined so much, it's important for Australian cricket domestically if it's doing well. I can't see it ever getting back to those heights again though.

* it was so big a few years back, had decent crowds throughout, 80k at the G for the Melbourne derby. Shame it's declined so much, it's important for Australian cricket domestically if it's doing well. I can't see it ever getting back to those heights again though.
Which also goes proof how fickle and the landscape can change in Australian sport. As a sports administrator you can never bank on the continuing success past on past years, its probably something the AFL is good at doing, maintaining crowds over prolonged periods and keeping that same level of interest.

I also believe success has a huge role to play in keeping crowds eg Perth Scorchers. Every franchise in the BBL is looking them with a bit of envy and I see the Scorchers being strong for the next decade as well. They are a powerhouse of Western Australian sport and can make a case or them now being the strongest sporting organization in WA given the family limited lifetime of the league.

Which also goes proof how fickle and the landscape can change in Australian sport. As a sports administrator you can never bank on the continuing success past on past years, its probably something the AFL is good at doing, maintaining crowds over prolonged periods and keeping that same level of interest.

I also believe success has a huge role to play in keeping crowds eg Perth Scorchers. Every franchise in the BBL is looking them with a bit of envy and I see the Scorchers being strong for the next decade as well. They are a powerhouse of Western Australian sport and can make a case or them now being the strongest sporting organization in WA given the family limited lifetime of the league.
yeah it was a booming comp, and CA decided to extent it, and also put games behind paywalls, including exclusive prime-time matches which weren't on FTA. They killed it really, and there's no getting it back to what it was, best thing they can do it improve the quality of the comp and hopefully get it stronger again.

It's a pity the fair weather Vics have deserted their teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. The early seasons were great with Hogg, Gilly, Lee, Warne, Murali, Punter, Gayle, Baz, Lynn to compliment the ODI players like finch, wade, Maxwell ect.

But that roster of ex players has dried up and not been replaced.
I feel that's a lot to do with it. There was a lot of pulling power in the "names" of the game. Nowadays it's a who's who of cricketers and the players from the national team barely participating dilutes the product further.

Personally I have more interest in the WBBL than the BBL.

I’ve been saying for year to move the BBL earlier so they don’t clash with the Tests. The WBBL is played earlier and like the SuperSmash, what’s around with double headers. It will help promote the women’s game and garner attendance there.

As for playing the BBL in late January early February, the BBL are too late to this. With the SA20, ILT20, BPL and PSL that run over this period, the BBL will get no international players, with the temptation of rupees taking the likes of Warner, Lynn, etc away from the BBL and into the foreign leagues during this time.

But it looks like an earlier BBL may be off the cards as well as if the IPL T10 League is a thing.

The best bet it to go back to state teams, and disregard international stars. This would be a similar format to the SuperSmash. If you do want international stars, then you need the money to entice them to play here. CA can’t afford to do this, so foreign investment. But CA need to be willing to play by their rules and having teams called the Sydney SuperKings and MI Melbourne and Perth Knight Riders

The BBL have had n number of years to make the Australia the destination for cricketers during the summer. However now, the BBL has been superseded by the likes of the ILT20 and potentially the BPL (last season of the BPL saw 25 Pakistani players participate, would it not be good to see the likes of Shaheen and Babar back up playing in the BBL after the Test series instead of the BPL).

Also, on the weeks break for the “West” Test. During last years SA20, they took a week off to play a series against England. Funny considering that rsa refused to play aus in the same month in favour of the SA20. But that series against eng probably enticed a lot of eng players to play in the SA20.
On the other hand, if the BBL was a good enough product, then playing games last for the eastern states would not be a problem you there would still be interest in the late games. Or they could just run a Magic/Gather Round from the WACA

I’ve been saying for year to move the BBL earlier so they don’t clash with the Tests. The WBBL is played earlier and like the SuperSmash, what’s around with double headers. It will help promote the women’s game and garner attendance there.

As for playing the BBL in late January early February, the BBL are too late to this. With the SA20, ILT20, BPL and PSL that run over this period, the BBL will get no international players, with the temptation of rupees taking the likes of Warner, Lynn, etc away from the BBL and into the foreign leagues during this time.

But it looks like an earlier BBL may be off the cards as well as if the IPL T10 League is a thing.

The best bet it to go back to state teams, and disregard international stars. This would be a similar format to the SuperSmash. If you do want international stars, then you need the money to entice them to play here. CA can’t afford to do this, so foreign investment. But CA need to be willing to play by their rules and having teams called the Sydney SuperKings and MI Melbourne and Perth Knight Riders

The BBL have had n number of years to make the Australia the destination for cricketers during the summer. However now, the BBL has been superseded by the likes of the ILT20 and potentially the BPL (last season of the BPL saw 25 Pakistani players participate, would it not be good to see the likes of Shaheen and Babar back up playing in the BBL after the Test series instead of the BPL).

Also, on the weeks break for the “West” Test. During last years SA20, they took a week off to play a series against England. Funny considering that rsa refused to play aus in the same month in favour of the SA20. But that series against eng probably enticed a lot of eng players to play in the SA20.
On the other hand, if the BBL was a good enough product, then playing games last for the eastern states would not be a problem you there would still be interest in the late games. Or they could just run a Magic/Gather Round from the WACA

Well said.
This is further complicated by Test cricket that isn't against England or India becoming less and less interesting/attractive.

Anyhow, it's not suprising, CA completely botched this and the other leagues are leaving the BBL further and further behind.
I don't know what the solution is and I'd be shocked if CA is capable of fixing this.

It's a pity the fair weather Vics have deserted their teams.
The thing is probably 90% of Victorians don’t actually have a team. Everybody in the one-team towns has a team, and even in Sydney there’s at least an implied geographical divide between the Sixers and Thunder. Barely anybody in Melbourne gives two shits whether the Stars or Renegades are good or not and aren’t going to go out of their way to show up to games. Slight exception maybe for MCC members who loosely support the Stars out of convenience.

The thing is probably 90% of Victorians don’t actually have a team. Everybody in the one-team towns has a team, and even in Sydney there’s at least an implied geographical divide between the Sixers and Thunder. Barely anybody in Melbourne gives two shits whether the Stars or Renegades are good or not and aren’t going to go out of their way to show up to games. Slight exception maybe for MCC members who loosely support the Stars out of convenience.

Yep, what is the difference between the two Melbourne sides? What or who do they represent?

Yep, what is the difference between the two Melbourne sides? What or who do they represent?
Pretty obvious. Renegades represent the true blue Victorian cricket faithful who realise the sport exists beyond Shane Warne.

Stars supporters are the people who start up again with the "BBL is meaningless" chants whenever their team is doing really crap (as opposed to just choking in finals).

Not a fan of T20 in general but the BBL is up against I think 5 other T20 comps around the world at the same time and perhaps we miss out on attracting the best talent. Was speaking to a current state cricket administrator recently and the next step we will see is the IPL owners will have a stake in most if not all comps and players will sign year long contracts and will be sent to which ever comp is playing so you will effectively play 10 months per year around the globe. Similar to international football there would be weeks set aside for tests etc but the IPL Club could prevent you playing Shield cricket if you are needed in season. He honestly believes that eventually BBL teams will have to allow foreign ownership if it’s to flourish

On the whole, and this will sound like a generalisation but I don't think Aussies care deeply about T20 cricket like they do in other countries. People east of Western Australia don't really care about who wins the BBL that much. Maybe Sixers fans give a genuine s**t about winning the BBL, but it's mainly Scorchers fans who are fanatical about the Big Bash and their team's success.

On the whole, and this will sound like a generalisation but I don't think Aussies care deeply about T20 cricket like they do in other countries. People east of Western Australia don't really care about who wins the BBL that much. Maybe Sixers fans give a genuine s**t about winning the BBL, but it's mainly Scorchers fans who are fanatical about the Big Bash and their team's success.
I think it's more a bandwagon support for the most part (excl Scorchers).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back