Fall and Fall of Big Bash

Remove this Banner Ad

The crowd for the first Sydney Smash this season was also a record. Not just for BBL at the venue, but for any competition/sport.

That game featured neither Warner nor Smith. But it was played during the summer school holidays.
The crowd attendance last night was double of the previous Thunder v Sixers game

The crowd attendance last night was double of the previous Thunder v Sixers game
The game at Sydney Showground Stadium was sold out, without Warner and Smith.

Therefore not a stretch to say last night's game at the SCG was always going to sell out, even if Warner and Smith didn't play.

I wonder what the "crowd attendance" will be at Marvel Stadium tonight, without Warner and Smith.

For starters I'm not sure you can compare any Cricket match played in Australia with a match played at Eden Park (maybe if he played on North Sydney Oval we could compare).

And by this logic the Big Bash is better than the World Cup as Quinton de Kock averaged 59 at the WC and only 17 in the BBL. You could find dozens of examples of guys performing well below their BBL performance in other comps and same the other way. I can't really recall AB de Villiers or Kumar Sangakarra dominating the comp.

Which is more the argument for how crap the comp has become, the internationals don’t care and don’t try anymore.

Apparently, according to some, you can't judge the success of the BBL by crowd figures or TV ratings.

Doesn't leave much else I guess.

You either like it or you don't.

Apparently, according to some, you can't judge the success of the BBL by crowd figures or TV ratings.

Doesn't leave much else I guess.

You either like it or you don't.
I think you can include demographics as well, especially if looking towards the future.
They seem very promising as well.

There seemed to be a lot of crying over the weekend regarding scheduling, but going by the figures it seems CA got it right, again.
we''l never know the answer, but we could probably guesstimate how many more people would have attended the Perth game if it wasn't in the afternoon.

we''l never know the answer, but we could probably guesstimate how many more people would have attended the Perth game if it wasn't in the afternoon.
Might have got 40k to the Perth game, but 30k to an afternoon Melb game.
Bit hard for CA to predict weather, and Melb does also sometimes get high temps in January.
With TV ratings also needing to be considered, the scheduling was fine. Another great weekend for the BBL.

I reckon they would've gotten 40 000 if it wasn't 40 degrees.
Yeah, we had this game pencilled in but I waited to see the forecast before making the decision to go (or not, as it turned out).

Still, 30,000 for a domestic cricket match with none of the real topline big big stars is something that nobody would have dared to dream of 15 years ago.

So let me recant about the crowds. I was wrong about that although when I started the post they weren't so flash.
Still my concerns about other aspects of the tournament are still here.
I just want it to be the best it can be where the cricket is amazing and not just ho hum white noise for a couple of hours.

So let me recant about the crowds. I was wrong about that although when I started the post they weren't so flash.
I just want it to be the best it can be where the cricket is amazing and not just ho hum white noise for a couple of hours.
In other words, your initial premise was proven a complete failure so you've moved the goalposts to other supposed "issues".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the mistakes for the most part have been fixed. Taking it back to 10 games was the right call, as the diehards were never changing and the more casual fans became more engaged.

The one thing I would say they haven't fixed is the fact that Saturday Night matches must be on channel 7. Most clubs would only use channel 7 for cricket. The only days you'd care about having 7 would be Thursday (after main training) and Saturday.

Other than that, well done CA

One criticism I do have is that the games need to finish 30 minutes earlier. Families were leaving early at the ground last night when I went to the Derby! Only 25k stayed at Marvel yet 41k were there earlier. 7pm starts would be great!

I do think every Saturday should have a double header - one at 3pm and one starting at 7pm.

Finally could they do 2 consecutive overs at one end to help speed things up? Gaps between overs really slow down the pace. Each innings should be done in 80 minutes bit it's really ballooning out at the moment.

The Finchy stuff last night caused the game to start at 745 which is way too late. Game should have started at 7pm, the game finished at 11pm which was ridiculous.

They were waiting for the Perth game to finish before they started the Finch stuff and the Perth game ran past the 7:15 Melbourne time. I like what they did to Finch but not sure they really had to televise it. Probably would've saved 15-20 mins at a guess.

They were waiting for the Perth game to finish before they started the Finch stuff and the Perth game ran past the 7:15 Melbourne time. I like what they did to Finch but not sure they really had to televise it. Probably would've saved 15-20 mins at a guess.
Well that was poor fixturing then

I think the mistakes for the most part have been fixed. Taking it back to 10 games was the right call, as the diehards were never changing and the more casual fans became more engaged.

The one thing I would say they haven't fixed is the fact that Saturday Night matches must be on channel 7. Most clubs would only use channel 7 for cricket. The only days you'd care about having 7 would be Thursday (after main training) and Saturday.

Other than that, well done CA
Agree

Only thing that can be improved on is finding a way for internationals to be available for the whole tournament, if they could somehow make an agreement with the UAE T20 league it would be ideal (doubt this would ever happen). We used to have star internationals leaving due to other commitments, but now it seems every single international signing is just leaving (understand this is out of CA's hands). At least having test players play the backend of next season will help.

I think CA have made the correct decisions this season with every thing they were in control of

Laurie Evans on the mic the other day said he was contracted for the ILT20 before BBL so felt obliged to go there rather than play finals, is the draft too late in the piece? I realise it should be taken with a grain of salt as those T20 guys would go and play in the Israeli Premier League if they could get a few extra dollars but it seemed somewhat genuine.

Surely guys like Munro, Billings, Overton etc. would actually want to stick around for an extra week so they can play finals given they've played essentially the whole minor round? I'd take a packed Metricon Stadium for a final over some desert league with no one there.

Which imports are actually available for finals? Can only think of Eskinazi and I assume Walter and Payne.

I think your attitude can be summed up via your user name.
Yes we all liked Arthur Fonzerali back in the day, but when we look back we now cringe.
We’d like to introduce our kids to the Fonz character, but it would be to embarrassing, they’d just laugh at us and say how lame we are.
People either move forward and be happy, or live in the past and become an embarrassment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back