Fallacy or Fact - our 2023 ball movement is one of our biggest improvements this year - Discuss ( try and use evidence where possible )

Remove this Banner Ad

My eyes tell me this is true. Wasn't bad last year either, but more consistent this year.

Now we just need a better midfield and another Taylor Walker

The fact we are the highest scoring team - and yet often struggle in the midfield - suggests our ball movement from defence is elite

I do think under pressure/fatigue it breaks down a bit and is one of the reasons we can’t finish these close games off. We start to bomb the ball into our forward 50 and therefore end up with poorer shots on goal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When we're good we're very good. A bit of time & space and we move the ball brilliantly. All our forwards look dangerous. We look like scoring every time we get the ball.

When pressured we revert to dump kicks and look terrible. Forwards fall out of the game. We concede repeat I50s. The Harris Andrews types have a picnic

Yup. It's a fact, seeing we're top 3-4 in most outside stats when it comes to differentials. However, like everything with this iteration of Adelaide, it's not something we've found a way to keep it up for four quarters week in week out.

That's primarily to it's improvement being in our method, we're we have become a team that counter-punches well and creates opportunities where it's easy to move the ball. It's also why it can all fall apart as it's reliant on our inside brigade being competitive. Generally when we get blown out in the clinches, we fall apart.

It kind of flows back into Adelaides biggest end of year need is inside reinforcement. Whether that's internally or bringing in a solid inside mid.

The fact we are the highest scoring team - and yet often struggle in the midfield - suggests our ball movement from defence is elite

I do think under pressure/fatigue it breaks down a bit and is one of the reasons we can’t finish these close games off. We start to bomb the ball into our forward 50 and therefore end up with poorer shots on goal

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Also perhaps more fatigue with the extra running is what’s causing more inaccuracies with the goal kicking.

Our team seems to be much more dynamic with defenders going more up the ground and forwards doing likewise.

When we're good we're very good. A bit of time & space and we move the ball brilliantly. All our forwards look dangerous. We look like scoring every time we get the ball.

When pressured we revert to dump kicks and look terrible. Forwards fall out of the game. We concede repeat I50s. The Harris Andrews types have a picnic
I reckon our weakness is being able to slow opposition defensively in midfield when they inevitably get their turn

So many games we’ve lost we’ve conceded 5+ goals in a row and lost all control in midfield

I reckon our weakness is being able to slow opposition defensively in midfield when they inevitably get their turn

So many games we’ve lost we’ve conceded 5+ goals in a row and lost all control in midfield
Isn’t that kind of how most teams lose though? Plenty of times we get on top in the middle and pile them on quickly (first quarter last night, 3rd quarter Collingwood away and 4th quarter Melbourne away). Always something to improve on and try to limit how many goals are piled on, but it’s impossible to stop altogether.

I do think we are far better at restricting teams when they get momentum this year; even last night we wrestled momentum back in the clearances during time on in the 3rd and got ourselves back into the game, I don’t think we could do that in quarter last year.

Saw it last night. How many times did we hit McAdam on the tit?
When that dried up it was to a contest. (And regardless of the quality of those kicks, I thought our talls all sucked in the air last night. Didn’t look likely at all)

Isn’t that kind of how most teams lose though? Plenty of times we get on top in the middle and pile them on quickly (first quarter last night, 3rd quarter Collingwood away and 4th quarter Melbourne away). Always something to improve on and try to limit how many goals are piled on, but it’s impossible to stop altogether.

I do think we are far better at restricting teams when they get momentum this year; even last night we wrestled momentum back in the clearances during time on in the 3rd and got ourselves back into the game, I don’t think we could do that in quarter last year.
Well Richmond we gave up something like 10 consecutive goals

Giants kicked 5 to 0 against us

Both of these games were at home and we didn’t have an period where we were able to slow them down or kick 1 or 2 the other way

It’s these lapses that have cost us top
8 maybe even top 4

They’re full ground lapses but alot has been midfield as main culprit

The giants game at home our forwards let us down when our mids were on top and we were 5 goals up instead of 8 then eventually our mids capitulated , the exact same thing happened against pies at home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Richmond we gave up something like 10 consecutive goals

Giants kicked 5 to 0 against us

Both of these games were at home and we didn’t have an period where we were able to slow them down or kick 1 or 2 the other way

It’s these lapses that have cost us top
8 maybe even top 4

They’re full ground lapses but alot has been midfield as main culprit

The giants game at home our forwards let us down when our mids were on top and we were 5 goals up instead of 8 then eventually our mids capitulated , the exact same thing happened against pies at home
That was very early in the season though, outside of the GC game I don’t think it’s been as bigger issue as it once was. Teams playing us probably also wonder how to stop us piling them on quickly, which we are very capable of.

I think our game style will lend itself to teams being able to cut us open at times, so we just need to make the most of the times we dominate play. At one stage in the 3rd it looked like Brisbane would pile on 100+ points against us, to dry that scoring up is very impressive and a sign of our improvement in that regard this season.

Fact, but it’s still inconsistent. Still see quite a bit of bombing to contest, particularly going I50, but when our ball movement is humming, it’s usually humming for the majority of a game

That was very early in the season though, outside of the GC game I don’t think it’s been as bigger issue as it once was. Teams playing us probably also wonder how to stop us piling them on quickly, which we are very capable of.

I think our game style will lend itself to teams being able to cut us open at times, so we just need to make the most of the times we dominate play. At one stage in the 3rd it looked like Brisbane would pile on 100+ points against us, to dry that scoring up is very impressive and a sign of our improvement in that regard this season.
we need to tighten up then next year then, can't afford to play like that

Both Gold Coast games, didn’t they get 6 in a row at one stage in the game at AO?
Essendon got 3 a couple of times in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back